Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Best LAX hotels for plane spotting" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Best LAX hotels for plane spotting" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
Try Embassy Suite as you can watch the domestic landing on the southern runway + Int'l take off as well...
I believe SQ Flyer Talker is referring to the Embassy Suites LAX South. The Embassy Suites North should have a decent view of aircraft approaching 24L/R if you get the north facing rooms.

I've also stayed in the following hotels and have some feedback:

- The Four Points by Sheraton - Usually I get rooms facing west where I can watch the north part of the central terminal area as well as planes landing on 24. I've seen planespotters with their scanners and SLRs in the section of the hotel that has outdoor hallways.
- Sheraton Gateway - Gotta love a continental breakfast at the club lounge and a view of some early morning action at the south complex.
- Hilton - Stayed in a room that also faced the south complex. I almost got carried away with the spotting before I realized the purpose of my stay: a convention in the hotel. Never had one that faced arrivals into the north complex.
- Westin - Another hotel for views of the south complex, though I totally would've loved wingless' view! Now THAT is an SPG Plat upgrade to aspire to get!

Originally Posted by gsupstate
May be going to airline collectibles show on 1/26.
I guess I'll be seeing you at the show then!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: Many
I haven't stayed there in a number of years, but back in the 90's, the Marriott LAX used to have a bar on the top floor that had a great view IMO, of some of the runways.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 5:29 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by N751PR
- Westin - Another hotel for views of the south complex, though I totally would've loved wingless' view! Now THAT is an SPG Plat upgrade to aspire to get!
I wonder what the passengered thought when looking out their windows on approach and seeing....? Opps! I forgot to bring a bathing suit.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by wingless
I wonder what the passengered thought when looking out their windows on approach and seeing....? Opps! I forgot to bring a bathing suit.

There's a reason these can use bubbles Those Westin spa suites are fun, great views (just use your towel carefully getting in & out so the views are not of YOU) and very romantic - worth the splurge for a night!

I actually posted a thread on this years ago, but too lazy to go find it. Needless to say, my husband thoroughly enjoyed his Birthday!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I recently stayed at the Westin and had a good view of approaching aircraft, but couldn't see the actual runway.

My last stay at the Sheraton had good views of the runway, but that turned out to the bad thing. With an early morning departure and thin windows, I could hear every 1-2 a.m. departure from our bed. The room was on the Club floor, but I can't remember which was we were facing. This was also two years ago, so Sheraton might have redone the windows since.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
If your room in the Westin faces East, you get a great view of approaching aircraft. When I'm there for work, I will usually listen to www.liveatc.net, and when airlines are cleared for landing on 25L/R I can glance out my window and see the plane comin on in.

I've stayed at the Embassy Suites South a couple of times too, and have found that all king sized rooms do not look towards the airport, only double rooms do.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 11:44 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Best LAX plane spotting hotel?

Is there a best LAX airport for plane spotting or getting an airport view? Thx
Old Aug 31, 2010, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the rooms at the Sheraton Gateway are pretty good. Moreover, if you get a club level room, you'll have IIRC 24/7 access to a lounge with good runway views, even if your own room doesn't face the runways. Evening cocktail time at sunset is an especially nice time to sit by a window in the lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 2:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Almost all of the hotels have some view of the planes and airport, as mentioned Sheraton Gateway is quite good, esp. the suites at the ends of the building which have wall to wall glass and a panoramic view. Westin is good too and some suites have a nice terrace.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 6:34 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue to follow this thread in the Los Angeles forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:22 pm

My favorite place for LAX plane-spotting was not a hotel, but the Encounter Restaurant in the iconic spider-shaped building in the middle of the airport, since one could see two lines of airplanes approaching the two main runways. Seemed particularly impressive at night. We recently stayed at the Radisson in a room facing LAX, but I don't recall seeing many plances as they landed. Maybe just didn't look enough. Most impressive landing view FROM an airplane probably Washington National Airport, if I was lucky enough to be on the side of the plane facing the Capitol, etc. (couldn't always guess in advance which side, since I've landed from the north and from the south).
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Am just looking for a standard room and am tossing up between Westin, Crowne Plaza or Sheraton for best runway view from my room? Thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Probably Sheraton out of those 3.

Westin is not bad but you can only see 25L/R. Sheraton has views of both 24L/R and 25L/R.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Thanks - have gone with Sheraton
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
Thanks - have gone with Sheraton
Next time try the Marriott, the view from the lounge is really really good too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.