Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food near SNA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Food near SNA

I'll be out in Santa Ana for two night next week (really one night and leaving about 9 from SNA, so two dinners). I want to get some good Chinese that I can't get back here in Appalachia. Can someone give me some good suggestions? Good take out would be fine... the night I'm there, I wouldn't mind getting it to go and going back to curl up in the room after a long day in transit. I love Szechwan, I like a good sweat while I eat, if that helps.

Also would be interested in getting some good seafood in that area for dinner the second evening.

I will have a car if that helps. I'm also planning on driving down to Oceanside for shopping the first evening I'm there... so anything on the way back to the SNA area would be fair game too.

TIA for any suggestions.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:07 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Sorry I don't have a Chinese suggestion, but I am curious why you are driving all the way to Oceanside for shopping?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:24 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
All the shopping you could ever want is in the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, a hop and a skip from SNA. Ditto for Chinese restaurants ranging from take-out to fancy. Just Drive Around

P.S. Don't forget your $50 Priceline room and $15 rent-a-car
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Sorry I don't have a Chinese suggestion, but I am curious why you are driving all the way to Oceanside for shopping?
Computer Geeks Retail Store - Don't be a dork, shop at the geeks.

Last edited by jimcfsus; Jun 2, 2006 at 5:48 am
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mbstone
All the shopping you could ever want is in the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, a hop and a skip from SNA. Ditto for Chinese restaurants ranging from take-out to fancy. Just Drive Around

P.S. Don't forget your $50 Priceline room and $15 rent-a-car
Got a Compact through Thrifty for $12 a day and have a nice Red Roof (with free wifi) booked for under $60... unless a better hotel deal comes along.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately good and authentic Chinese is rather limited around SNA. Your best bets will be near two Ranch 99 asian supermarkets in Irvine especially near the one on Walnut (5402 Walnut Ave. Irvine, CA 92604).

I assume there is smth around UCI but I am less familiar with that area.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:03 am

I agree with Irvine - that's the closest you'll get to "authentic" Chinese food to the airport. It's only two or three exits from the airport though, so it'll be less than a ten minute drive to the Walnut location. Sam Woo restaurant might not win a lot of Asian votes (even though most of its clientele is Asian), but they are very American-friendly. Good luck!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Deinitely go to Irvine - do a search on Chowhound.com for Irvine Chinese & you'll get a ton...

Seafood - I assume by Santa Ana you mean John Wayne airport area (& hopefully, not IN Santa Ana), but nearby -

In Newport Beach / Newport Coast
Wasa Sushi in the Bluffs
Wildfish
Bluefin (Crystal Cove Japanese - great omakase!!)
Blue Water Grill (Newport, not Costa Mesa)
Mastro's (Crystal Cove)
Sage - Original Eastbluff location for great fish - pretty much locals only
21 Oceanfront for old-style expense account - they have abalone!!!
Crab Cooker - for the best budget fish & fun atmosphere - be prepared to wait

Corona del Mar
Bungalow does good fish

In Laguna Beach
Dizz's for incredible swordfish - try the 3 way

P.S. I hope you're not even THINKING about driving to Oceanside anytime near rush hour or on a Friday night... But if you are, we found a great hole in the wall Mexican seafood place - Casa de Mariscos #1 - it's been 3 years, so I still can't vouch, but you might like to check it out... Link to my review:
http://www.chowhound.com/california/...ages/8103.html
Old Jun 5, 2006, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brendamc
Deinitely go to Irvine - do a search on Chowhound.com for Irvine Chinese & you'll get a ton...

P.S. I hope you're not even THINKING about driving to Oceanside anytime near rush hour or on a Friday night...
Thanks for the advice on Chowhound.

On the Oceanside drive, my flight gets in about 2:40... was going to check into the hotel and then start down, hopefully get on road no later than 3:45. The place I'm going closes at 6, so I can't mess around. As long as I get there by 5ish I'll be happy.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Thanks for the advice on Chowhound.

On the Oceanside drive, my flight gets in about 2:40... was going to check into the hotel and then start down, hopefully get on road no later than 3:45. The place I'm going closes at 6, so I can't mess around. As long as I get there by 5ish I'll be happy.
Good luck! I'd flag checking in & get straight on the freeway since it's so important - you never know with the 405/ 5 - it can be a breeze or an absolute bumper to bumper nightmare.
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by brendamc
Good luck! I'd flag checking in & get straight on the freeway since it's so important - you never know with the 405/ 5 - it can be a breeze or an absolute bumper to bumper nightmare.
I second this suggestion. Just go straight to OCN from SNA and check-in when you get back.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:17 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Fry's Electronics (N I-405 @ Brookhurst) is about a 15 min drive from SNA and probably is just as geeky of a shopping experience....
Old Jun 8, 2006, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Heading directly out of SNA to Oceanside, I would turn right out of the airport onto Mac Arthur heading south to the 73 which is a toll road that avoids the 405/5 interchange. Probably the best money you can spend if time is important, and its a prettier ride.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the assistance and advice. I went directly down to Oceanside from SNA and flew right down.

I know all about Fry's... and they are on the agenda for today already.

I just wish the marine layer would burn off... I could have gotten this weather in SFO.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimcfsus
I just wish the marine layer would burn off... I could have gotten this weather in SFO.

There's a reason 'June Gloom' is so well known here. We're not happy about it either - sorry! But, welcome to SoCal! Let us know what you ended up doing/eating!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.