Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Which side of plane for best view while on approach to LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2006, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.

I'm flying into LAX for the first time in about 6 weeks and I'd love to get some photos either of the airport or, weather permitting, LA in the distance from my window on approach. I'm flying in from either MSP or DTW. Which side of the plane (A or F seat) generally affords the best view coming in? I don't know what the wind situation is like there so I don't know if planes tend to land more from one direction than other.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by hoyateach
I'm flying into LAX for the first time in about 6 weeks and I'd love to get some photos either of the airport or, weather permitting, LA in the distance from my window on approach. I'm flying in from either MSP or DTW. Which side of the plane (A or F seat) generally affords the best view coming in? I don't know what the wind situation is like there so I don't know if planes tend to land more from one direction than other.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
I really don't think it makes much difference. If the weather is clear the view should be equally nice on either side of the aircraft. Definitely get a window seat.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, BD, NZ, QF, DJ, RCC, SPG, Priority Club, Accor Platinum
If you are landing towards the ocean, which the majority of flights do, then if on the right hand side, smog permitting (more so than weather permitting) you will see the downtown L.A. high rises and the Hollywood Hills and perhaps the Hollywood sign. On the left side you would see the Long Beach harbor area together with the Queen Mary and the Palos Verdes Peninsula. If you are lucky enough, your flight may make an approach inland from the ocean then make a 180 deg. turn just past downtown, in which case you would see both.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It also depends on time of day. Late at night, I think all arriving flights do their approach from the ocean (noise abatement).

But silly me... if you're taking pics then you're probably arriving during the day

Just like chchkiwi said... right for downtown, left for ocean/harbor.

NOTE: Check the weather report to see if the Santa Ana winds are kicking up... if so, then they reverse it.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:33 pm

Right side (starbord). Landings from the ocean are very rare IMO.

Air quality is a huge factor wrt view. Some days you won't be able to see much.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 9:46 pm

Programs: NW, MR SE,
Views of LA

As you fly over the San Bernadino mountains, you should be able to see the Big Bear ski area (not much compared to other major ski areas in the Rockies) and Catalina Island from the left side. Once you are over, you should be able to see the Ontario Motor Speedway and Mount Wilson radio and TV towers on the right side, in addition to the others already mentioned. Most of the flights I've taken landed on runway 24R, so you will be flying close to the Hollywood Park race track and Inglewood Forum and over the hamburger place, In & Out, just before touchdown and can see it from the right side.
These aren't much of attractions, but I thought I'd add them. Most of these should be visible regardless of the weather except for the ski area, Mt. Wilson and Catalina Island. The others should be visible since you will already be under the cloud cover or close enough to the ground. This time of the year is the rainy season so take that into consideration and check the weather.

HJ

Last edited by hyunja; Feb 27, 2006 at 4:39 pm
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
The right side is much better for sightseeing on an East-West approach.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Starboard sounds good for a MITTS or CIVET arrival into LAX, landing to the west.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Thanks, all. My flight is this Wednesday, MSP-LAX. I'll let you know if I get any good views/pictures.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Also, you should be able to catch the Las Vegas strip on the right side about 45-50 minutes from landing. Right side is definitely better 99% of the time arriving into LAX.

Only real advantage of the left side flying to LA (or right side flying back east) is on southern routing the best views of the Grand Canyon are usually south of the flight path. But from MSP I doubt you will be coming in that way.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dbuckho
Only real advantage of the left side flying to LA (or right side flying back east) is on southern routing the best views of the Grand Canyon are usually south of the flight path. But from MSP I doubt you will be coming in that way.
Depends on the flight plan. Sitting on the south side MSP-LAX I have seen the canyon on some flights, not on others. The other interesting side from that side of the plane is Palm Springs and the valley out to the Salton Sea. For strictly LA views, the north side is defintely better.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I've never really understood how people can take pictures when electronic devices must be turned off under 10,000 feet.

This might be a personal thing, but I've always preferred the "A" side when flying into LAX for a glimpse of Las Vegas on descent.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by hoyateach
Thanks, all. My flight is this Wednesday, MSP-LAX. I'll let you know if I get any good views/pictures.
Flew MSP-LAX last night. Was on the left side and the view of Los Angeles was pretty darn spectacular. Of course, the weather was crystal clear so that helped. Enjoy your flight.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:28 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hyunja
Most of the flights I've taken landed on runway 24R, so you will be flying close to the Hollywood Park race track and Inglewood Forum and over the hamburger place, In & Out, just before touchdown and can see it from the right side.
These aren't much of attractions, but I thought I'd add them.
HJ
I don't know the LA area that well, but I've always recognized the Hollywood Park when I've landed at LAX. I think all my flights (about 5) I've taken into LAX have landed there except for my one NRT-LAX flight.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 6:29 pm

Programs: NW Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by hyunja
...Once you are over, you should be able to see the Ontario Motor Speedway and Mount Wilson radio and TV towers on the right side, in addition to the others already mentioned.
FWIW, it's the California Speedway. Both Ontario and Riverside were shut down and re-developed in the 80's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.