Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "LAX and Greater Los Angeles Shuttle Services" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:25 pm
xFF

Programs: UA lifetime 1K
Originally Posted by Wanderer
So I wonder if there's a reliable shuttle service that could take me from LAX to the Pasadena Hilton, and then back again? I'd be interested in a link to their site if they have a URL.
Two years ago I did a weekly commute to central Pasadena via LAX, and used SuperShuttle (1-800-BLUE-VAN, for obvious reasons) in both directions. Then, they were about $30 w/tip; cheaper if from (certain?) hotels. Reservations not required going from LAX, and vans run all the time from all terminals at lower level.

Bus and light rail service in/around Pasadena is pretty good, and if you want to rent a car for a day or two for sightseeing, Hertz, Avis, and I'm sure the others, all have offices in town.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:35 pm

Just a note about the Pasadena Hilton, which may affect your decision about car vs. shuttle. While the Hilton isn't in the boondocks or anything, you aren't exactly on the main drag of Colorado Blvd. There are restaurants around the Hilton but they tend toward the chains (well Colorado is heading that way too, but...). It might be convenient to have a car to drive a little west on Colorado to get to some of the more interesting restaurants and night life around Fair Oaks.

Also, how far is your training site from the Hilton? If you don't have a car are you planning on taking taxis? walking? bus?

Factor all these things against the $10 a night you will pay for parking at the Hilton, etc. before making your final decision. Good luck!
Old Jul 8, 2005, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
There is the airporter bus which goes straight from LAX to the Pasadena Hilton.I will look for the link but you could call the Hilton.
The walk from the Hilton to most of Colorodo Blvd. restos is pleasant,you do not NEED a car if you do not want one.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jul 8, 2005 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 10, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by phoenixstar
It is possible, even in the concrete jungle that is LA, to get from LAX to Pasadena without a car, using only public transportation.

Here is what you have to do:

From LAX, look for the free shuttles to Lot C. Take bus 439 from here to Union Station. Get on the Gold Line MTA train towards Pasadena, and get off at the Del Mar station. Walk up Del Mar about 3 blocks to Los Robles, and there you are. Think if I remember correctly whole trip will run you less than $5. ^
Route number has changed.

Go to www.mta.net
Enter LAX to Pasadena on the homepage route planner.
It should take about 2 1/2 hours (that is a long time IMHO).
$2.50 one-way.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 4:35 pm

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Reliable shuttle Arcadia - ONT?

My daughter lives in Arcadia but has a 7:20pm flight out of ONT on a Tuesday in July (heavy eastbound traffic on the 210 around 5 pm when she should be heading for the airport). She wants to leave her car at home in its garage for the week she'll be gone. There are several airport shuttle companies listed on the ONT website, but SuperShuttle is the only name either she or I recognize. I noticed that the SF FT forum is full of not-very-nice things re: SS.

Any FT'ers in the LA area with experience using one or more of the shuttle services to ONT, and any recommendations? Price is a factor, but dependable service and a good attitude are just as important.

We'd be most appreciative of any advice.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 8:56 pm

I've had success with both Prime Time and Super Shuttle in getting from Riverside to ONT and LAX. Of course, I generally don't have to worry about fighting traffic since I don't end up going at rush hour. I like Prime Time better, though they are also more expensive. Super Shuttle is a bit hit and miss with driver courtesy/attitude.

Personally, I'd request a shuttle for no later than 4:30. Of course, if you do that they'll show up right on time, traffic will be surprisingly light, and she'll end up at the airport 2+ hours before her flight.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 10:03 pm

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Thanks, Paubri - appreciate the first-hand advice. FT is the best!
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
I agree with the above poster, Super Shuttle is inconsistent and has a tendency to pad their pick up time to allow for more pick ups.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:34 am

I stopped using Super Shuttle about 10 years ago and use Prime Time Shuttle (800-RED-VANS) when on longer trips out of BUR & ONT, they also offer an Auto Club discount. I find their vans in better shape and they don't stop for pick-ups & drop-offs as much as Super Shuttle.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:42 pm
In memoriam

IMHO, it is questionable whether the words "reliable" and "shuttle" belong in the same sentence.

Check out this thread:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=shuttle
Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Updating an old thread (since this showed up on a google search)

When I lived off Lake St. in the late '90s, I took the airporter bus from the Hilton a lot. Tomorrow, I'm staying at the Hilton, and just called to learn the bus has not run in a few years. MTA site says you can take a bus from the airport to the downtown train station, and the train from there, taking 68 minutes.

I'll take Supershuttle. They'll give me a receipt and I can get reimbursed for ~$30 with a receipt, but the university won't reimburse me the $5.25 public transit would cost because I won't have a receipt. Goodness knows, I might have teleported for free and be embezzling $5.25.

Also, everything on Colorado and Lake is walkable from the Hilton, no more than 20 minutes of safe and moderately pleasant urban walking. I used to walk from my apartment, past the Hilton, to the far (Fair Oaks) end of Colorado at least weekly for fun and relaxation. IMHO, no need for a car unless you have mobility issues.

Also, eat at El Portal. Get a house margarita and a beef taco/chile relleno combination.

Last edited by PVDProf; Jun 25, 2008 at 1:06 pm Reason: Add information about area accessibility
Old Jun 25, 2008, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by PVDProf
I'll take Supershuttle. They'll give me a receipt and I can get reimbursed for ~$30 with a receipt, but the university won't reimburse me the $5.25 public transit would cost because I won't have a receipt. Goodness knows, I might have teleported for free and be embezzling $5.25.
The last time I took Supershuttle from LAX to Pasadena, the driver went way out of his way (all but drove by my building in the process) to drop off another couple first, (I assume) because they had a San Marino address and he figured he'd get a larger tip for getting them there sooner... But staying at the Hilton, you should be fine.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:00 am

i'm surprised no one has mentioned taking the flyaway from LAX to union station ($3) and then taking the gold line up to pasadena ($1.25). PVDPRof, i know the metro ticket is your receipt (it shows the fare you paid), and flyaway may be the same. you can expect the trip to take about 45-60 min. the only downside is that it's several blocks from the del mar station to the hilton.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by crabbing
i'm surprised no one has mentioned taking the flyaway from LAX to union station ($3) and then taking the gold line up to pasadena ($1.25). PVDPRof, i know the metro ticket is your receipt (it shows the fare you paid), and flyaway may be the same. you can expect the trip to take about 45-60 min. the only downside is that it's several blocks from the del mar station to the hilton.
That's the MTA option that PVDProf was describing. And, I agree that the Metro ticket should serve as a receipt, as well as the FlyAway ticket stub. But, the FlyAway now costs $4 from Union Station to LAX. Despite the increase, I still think it's one of the best transit deals going in southern California. ^
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by crabbing

I have taken the shuttle from LAX to Union Station. I highly recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.