Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA's HUGE Koreatown

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
It's really weird, but I find the food at these ethnic towns to be much inferior than food from some of these ethnic neighborhoods. I don't like any of the Korean places in KT, but I like a lot of the Korean restaurants in places like Rowland Heights.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
On my other BB that I belong to there are quite a few Koreans and often go to K Town for get togethers.

I am not a Korean food expert but I would guess that just like any other types of food there are different levels.

From the hole in the wall joint to a high end joint and everywhere in between. It probably depends on what you are looking for.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:01 am

a simple guide to korean restaurants in LA: if there are pictures of food on the restaurant's signs, then the food is probably not good. while there may be exceptions, in my experience this rule always has held true.

another rule i came up with after discovering that korean food in LA is generally better than korean food in ... korea: korean food in LA is made the way it was meant to be made - by central americans. of course, my korean spouse attributes it to better ingredients, but that doesn't explain why arirang in pasadena is sub-par (i peeked, and the cooks looked korean).

my recommendations:
yongsusan for court cuisine, but also for its awesome wrapped kimchi and unique duk gook (which makes for a moderately priced lunch).

sokongdong, on olympic just west of vermont (behind hodori) is hands-down the best soondooboo (soft bean curd) place in town. oddly enough, this is one of the best korean restaurants to bring kids (they will serve you "white" or unspicy dooboo).

saritgol was mentioned before, but i would add that whether you like it depends entirely on how much you like "fishy" tastes. i do not, so i never come here.

my favorite dak-kal-bi (literally, "chicken ribs") place is on olympic & kingsley, just a few blocks east of crenshaw. from the outside, it doesn't look like a restaurant - more like a place that repairs small appliances. they give lots of genyip (sesame leaf).

finally, san on 8th & berendo has a well-earned reputation for its jun-buk-jook (abalone "chouder"), but parking can be a challenge.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:01 am

Im sorry to bump this thread but there was such great information in it. It has been 5 years so things might have changed. Is Koreatown still fairly safe during the day and what Korean BBQ place would you who frequent this area alot recommend?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LowRoller
Im sorry to bump this thread but there was such great information in it. It has been 5 years so things might have changed. Is Koreatown still fairly safe during the day and what Korean BBQ place would you who frequent this area alot recommend?
I live in DTLA and go to Koreatown quite a bit. I usually go to the KBBQ places with my Korean friends and I don't know the names because most of them just have Korean signs that I can't read or I don't pay attention. I will find out for you though. Yes it is safe to walk around during the day. I do all the time.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by wingless
I live in DTLA and go to Koreatown quite a bit. I usually go to the KBBQ places with my Korean friends and I don't know the names because most of them just have Korean signs that I can't read or I don't pay attention. I will find out for you though. Yes it is safe to walk around during the day. I do all the time.
If you would do that it would be fantastic. Thank you very much.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:32 pm

WooGa
Park's.
Road to Seoul
Kalbi King
Soot Bull Jeep

Seem to be the consensus.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:59 am

LowRoller, k-town is not only safe during the day, it's perfectly safe at night as well. if i recall correctly, hodori on olympic and western is 24 hours.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by wingless
WooGa
Park's.
Road to Seoul
Kalbi King
Soot Bull Jeep

Seem to be the consensus.
I second Park's and Soot Bull Jeep. I also like Chosun and Chungkiwa, but Chosun is a little more expensive than most.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:08 pm

Thanks guys. I will prolly spend the evening there walking around and eating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.