Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Lanes @ LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
TSA PreCheck Lanes @ LAX

I have a flight, tomorrow (Wed) :LAX to MIA. Can anyone report back as to what the wait times are like at the TSA pre check? I am a us citizen, flying domestic.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
If you use Terminal 4, walk in and go to the left, I've never had an issue getting through quickly with precheck, at most 10 minutes. If you want to push it on time, sign up on a trial for Clear and you'll get right through after you do the enrollment. I'd assume with COVID it might be a little easier. But you never know, could be one of those days where lines are long.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by seigex
If you use Terminal 4, walk in and go to the left, I've never had an issue getting through quickly with precheck, at most 10 minutes. If you want to push it on time, sign up on a trial for Clear and you'll get right through after you do the enrollment. I'd assume with COVID it might be a little easier. But you never know, could be one of those days where lines are long.
Does Clear have free trials?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
You can get a Clear trial through Hertz (in addition to their fastlane signup).
The number of free months depends on your Hertz level. President's Circle = 4 mos , Five Star = 2 mos, Gold = 1 mos.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...Page=clear.jsp
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Yeah they offer them to members for 3 months but it looks like they haven't sent any passes out since Christmas, but a quick search online I found this: https://upgradedpoints.com/best-cred...curity-program that has a link that seems to work that offers 2 months https://upgradedpoints.com/go/CLEAR2MonthTrial .. not sure what they get from it, but for the passes they email us we don't get anything.

That said, if you have basic delta membership (no status, just the free membership), it's only $99 (or was when I first got it, I think it's $109 now if you're not grandfathered) and if you travel a lot, clear is worth $10/month.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
The line is minimal. I flew through terminal 4 and was through TSA precheck in under a couple of minutes. I was there around 11am.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by seigex
Yeah they offer them to members for 3 months but it looks like they haven't sent any passes out since Christmas, but a quick search online I found this: https://upgradedpoints.com/best-cred...curity-program that has a link that seems to work that offers 2 months https://upgradedpoints.com/go/CLEAR2MonthTrial .. not sure what they get from it, but for the passes they email us we don't get anything.

That said, if you have basic delta membership (no status, just the free membership), it's only $99 (or was when I first got it, I think it's $109 now if you're not grandfathered) and if you travel a lot, clear is worth $10/month.
Went out on a flight last week on Delta and they were offering 1 month free trials of Clear right there. I may actually sign up for it, or would if my work flights weren't cancelled... it wasn't lost on me with the stupid shuttle I had to catch, that I was literally the last one on it and I would've been boarding awkwardly late if I'd missed it.

Honestly though it took me more time to fill out the darned information than it would've been to just go through my usual pre-check which never takes me very long regardless of carrier at LAX but then again I'm not usually flying at totally stupid pax time either.

Pre-check right now is probably a ghost-town for all airlines at LAX.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Revelate
Went out on a flight last week on Delta and they were offering 1 month free trials of Clear right there. I may actually sign up for it, or would if my work flights weren't cancelled... it wasn't lost on me with the stupid shuttle I had to catch, that I was literally the last one on it and I would've been boarding awkwardly late if I'd missed it.

Honestly though it took me more time to fill out the darned information than it would've been to just go through my usual pre-check which never takes me very long regardless of carrier at LAX but then again I'm not usually flying at totally stupid pax time either.

Pre-check right now is probably a ghost-town for all airlines at LAX.
Yeah first time is a pain, although I did the registration online when I first got it so registering at the airport was just getting my biometrics added to the system. I fly twice a week (well I used to anyway) so having it has saved my butt a few times when I was running late for my flights. Especially at DEN.
Revelate likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Terminal 6

Flying out of T6 today there was one lane open. ID checker did need boarding pass- I had a paper one so I wouldn’t have to worry about phone getting contaminated.

For precheck passengers they handed out the “lite” card but you don’t have to take anything out. They put indicators in front of and behind your bags so the x-ray screener can tell you’re precheck. There’s still the chance to get stuck behind a few people but it’s mostly like regular precheck.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:56 pm

T5 Priority routes thru T4

AA Priority check-in at the East end of T5 dep level has an escalator to TSA Precheck on the upper level, with no line midmorning today.
However, this routes over to T4 with no direct access to T5 airside. You have to cross back over to T5 via the airside underground walkway.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mac1meg
AA Priority check-in at the East end of T5 dep level has an escalator to TSA Precheck on the upper level, with no line midmorning today.
However, this routes over to T4 with no direct access to T5 airside. You have to cross back over to T5 via the airside underground walkway.
That escalator and TSA PreCheck security checkpoint are at the east end of T4, not T5. Currently, there is no above ground access between the secured areas of T4 and T5 (it is under construction), so you can't access T4 directly from the T5 security checkpoint; you have to use the tunnel.

Take a look at this LAX Interactive Map.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 2:26 pm

Does anyone know if TBIT has real PreCheck, or is it fake PRE where you still have to take out electronics, liquids, etc.? I feel like I saw a reference to the latter, but that may have been last year before travel started going again. Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Terminal 7 Pre-Check @ 6 am, 09/09/21:

David
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Buster
Does anyone know if TBIT has real PreCheck, or is it fake PRE where you still have to take out electronics, liquids, etc.? I feel like I saw a reference to the latter, but that may have been last year before travel started going again. Thanks.
went through on Friday evening, 9/10. To answer my question, it was PreCheck lite - shoes stay on but electronics need to come out.

Lines weren’t long but it was chaotic. We were in the PreCheck line, almost at the front, when they suddenly closed the line and started yelling at us to go to the main line. We ended up at the back of the main line. Then someone noticed everyone with their green cards for PRE and then yelled at us to go back to the PreCheck line, which by this time had reopened. We ended up at the back of the line again.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by DELee
Terminal 7 Pre-Check @ 6 am, 09/09/21:
David
It's not all that obvious to me where the entrance to PreCheck is when it's this empty at T7 with this setup.Before the reconfiguration, the PreCheck lane was next to the check-in kiosks and I can directly look into the entrance so I can clearly see if its open or not.

With this configuration and the times I fly, I have to guess, enter the regular lanes, get verified and get sent to PreCheck.If it's anything like a year ago, it will be just as empty like this picture and off to PreCheck (the non fake one) because I have another long flight to help out a family member for another long winter. I prefer red eyes for flights like this.

Last edited by i0wnj00; Oct 7, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.