LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: downinit
What's New on October 29:
Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Opoli/TNCs pickups move from Upper Level to LAX-it (east of Terminal 1, follow Lime Green Signs or take green LAX-it shuttles on Lower Level Inner Curb)
Taxi(only) in addition to LAX-it, taxis can also be picked up inside parking structure 3 (between TBIT & Terminal 3, lower level) and at the far end of Terminal 7 (outside baggage claim); if there are no taxis in the rank, there is a sign with a number to call to request one
Hotel/Private Parking Shuttles move from Lower Level to Upper Level (Red Signs)
FlyAway (Light Blue Signs) and all LAWA buses (A - Airline Connector, C - LAX City Bus Center, E - Lot E, M - Green Line, X - Employee parking) move from Lower Level Outer Island to Lower Level Inner Curb (Pink/Magenta Signs)
Shared Ride Vans (e.g. Super Shuttle), Charter Buses, and Scheduled Buses/Shuttles (Antelope Valley, Central Coast, Mickey's Space Ship, Santa Barbara Airbus, Shuttle One, Shuttle 2000, Ventura County Airporter) move and consolidate to Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Orange Signs)
Rental Car Shuttles move to different locations on the Lower Level Outer Island Curbs (Purple Signs)
TCP (Limos/Uber Black/Lyft Lux Black) and Personal Vehicles (e.g. a friend you coerced into picking you up) move from Lower Level Inner Curb to the Lower Level Outer Island Curb (White Zones/Painted Curbs)

Fly LAX Official Twitter Feed with general information.
Fly LAX Stats Official Twitter feed with time to T1 from outside the airport and time through the U on the upper and lower levels.
Skift Press Release (scroll down to the PDF for details of who picks up where)
New LAX Pickup Locations effective 2am 10/29/19 (pdf from Skift press release in first post)
Oct 31 LAX press release on LAX-it updates
Print Wikipost

LAX-it - no Uber or Lyft pick-ups at terminals

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I got an email from Lyft today that seems to confirm they're going with the "get a number to show to your driver" system:
So hopefully this does indeed the way people were talking about, where you're not matched to a specific driver, and just get in line and show the code to whichever driver happens to be next in line once you hit the front of the line.
Yeah, the LAWA Commissioners had several questions about it in the most recent Board report, how the experience would work for riders, and basically the answer was "it depends on the TNC." Meaning the deployment is contingent on the app being used, each company has their own approach based on other airport deployments these companies have done, but I think both Lyft and Uber were going to use the code approach.

They said that based on their data, the average TNC dwell time in the Central Terminal Area per car (during peak hours) was 1 minute, 48 seconds (or maybe that's the expected dwell time, it was unclear in the presentation), and they feel that this new approach will reduce a lot of that time. Also they have done a bunch of statistical models trying to figure out best practices for traffic flows and staffing.

They will also be continuously monitoring data, with specific escalation methods if something isn't working in a hour/day/month. They gave an example of the escalation methods with respect to exit queue length in the LAWA staff report:

Old Oct 28, 2019, 8:52 pm

the 3&4 shuttle does seem to be a bad idea. Maybe it will work or they will adjust it after it starts.

-David
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
the 3&4 shuttle does seem to be a bad idea. Maybe it will work or they will adjust it after it starts.

-David
Presumably they're expecting heavier passenger loads, or at least higher simultaneous peak passenger loads, from TBIT? Kinda makes sense since TBIT serves much larger aircraft than the other terminals.

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Oct 28, 2019 at 10:05 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: UA, VS
Question Fastest walking route

I arrive most often at T4. Does anyone want to take a shot at describing the most efficient walking route to LAX-it? Looking at various maps, it looks like there is lots of potential for shaving off a few minutes, but it's hard to be sure where there are fences and crossing lights without exploring manually.

Routes from Terminals 1-4 and B seem more obvious.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:51 am
JBD

FWIW -

They've updated their main "About LAXit" page with a spiffy countdown clock, a video and an interactive map where you click on your terminal and you're shown how long the shuttle will take, and how long a walk will take.

https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-it
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyTables
I arrive most often at T4. Does anyone want to take a shot at describing the most efficient walking route to LAX-it? Looking at various maps, it looks like there is lots of potential for shaving off a few minutes, but it's hard to be sure where there are fences and crossing lights without exploring manually.

Routes from Terminals 1-4 and B seem more obvious.
Fastest if you're a fast walker might be to just walk along the horseshoe in front of TBIT and then east T3-T2-T1. It avoids all the delays of waiting for lights to change.

Shortest is probably straight across one of the crosswalks to P4, head east along the sidewalk along 4, and then north when you get to west way, taking that all the way across center way to the sidewalk at T3, then head east along 3-2-1 again. Depending on how crowded the sidewalks are and whether you're hauling luggage, you might save some time by taking one of the "hidden" sidewalks, like east along Center Way, but the traffic lights can be long and eat up any savings.
JohnnyTables likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Fastest if you're a fast walker might be to just walk along the horseshoe in front of TBIT and then east T3-T2-T1. It avoids all the delays of waiting for lights to change.

Shortest is probably straight across one of the crosswalks to P4, head east along the sidewalk along 4, and then north when you get to west way, taking that all the way across center way to the sidewalk at T3, then head east along 3-2-1 again. Depending on how crowded the sidewalks are and whether you're hauling luggage, you might save some time by taking one of the "hidden" sidewalks, like east along Center Way, but the traffic lights can be long and eat up any savings.
The crosswalks are the biggest time suck of any CTA pedestrian activity. I've waited more than three minutes for a light to change to enable a pedestrian crossing. I don't know if they've changed timing as part of LAX-it.

With new LAX-it, there's a protected walking lane on the inner loop (inside the islands). However, it's likely to be filled with people not knowing where they're going, so it's probably best to stay next the terminals and walk along the horseshoe, though in certain construction areas, the sidewalk next to the terminal is quite narrow.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianmanka
The crosswalks are the biggest time suck of any CTA pedestrian activity. I've waited more than three minutes for a light to change to enable a pedestrian crossing. I don't know if they've changed timing as part of LAX-it.

With new LAX-it, there's a protected walking lane on the inner loop (inside the islands). However, it's likely to be filled with people not knowing where they're going, so it's probably best to stay next the terminals and walk along the horseshoe, though in certain construction areas, the sidewalk next to the terminal is quite narrow.
Are you referring to the new 4' of sidewalk? People will probably be confused an leave it clear for about a week and then fill it with luggage and empty carts. I thought I saw something about the other sidewalks being made wider, too, but it's going to be interesting for a while.

Some of the lights across Center Way and East and West Way you can walk against, but the lights to cross World Way are eternal. Once it's all done you might be able to walk all the way across at the upper level, but by then I'll probably be retired and not flying much.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The fastest walking route from T4 to LAXit is probably thru the parking garages to T3 then north side terminal sidewalk. This is basically two straight lines and avoids all red lights and the slight detours required walking from T6 to T2 via theme building.

Fastest route: T4 departure (upper) level to T4 garage connector, go down a level and walk to T3 garage to T3 garage connector, go up a level to T3 departure level, then to curb side sidewalk to T2 to T1 to LAX-it.

Shortest route: T4 arrival (lower) level to sidewalk to T5 to crosswalk between T5 and T6, then cut thru the parking lot in front of T6 to East Way (east side or right of theme building), the north to crosswalk between T1 and T2, the terminal curb side sidewalk to LAX-it.

Note that fastest route is not likely the shortest route because the shortest route require 4 street crossings that will each take at least 2 minutes wait time.
JohnnyTables likes this.

Last edited by bzcat; Oct 29, 2019 at 10:03 am
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I've walked T4 to Park n Fly lot a few times - where LAXit now sits on part of the lot.
I've used a couple different routes - Along the upper or lower level past TBIT then past T3-T1; or the other way to T5/6then across to the T1 side and over to the lot. Time-wise it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference - about 15 minutes from the gate in T4 to the lot.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN A-list preferred, United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If you don't like the LAX-itive solution, there is a simple way to speed your trip. Walk to Sepulveda and Century. It's 4 minutes from Terminal 1. From there you can catch a city bus or hail a ride without delay. Take the LA 232 bus south, LA 117 east, or Torrance 8 bus southeast.

I predict this option will become so popular that bureaucrats will kill it within 6 months.
ryw likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
According to this LA Times story, it's going reasonably smoothly so far, with some inevitable confusion among incoming passengers. I love this bit: "The lack of honking and idling cars [on the arrivals level] created an eerily quiet atmosphere on the once-chaotic sidewalks next to the terminal." I've often wondered how many arriving tourists considered going back into the terminal to catch a flight home, their hearts sinking as their first experience of Los Angeles was a stinky, noisy, seemingly interminable wait for a shuttle in the claustrophobic arrivals cave.

I'll be interested to hear FTers' experiences with the new system.
chrisl137 and ryw like this.

Last edited by ajGoes; Oct 29, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I'll be interested to hear FTers' experiences with the new system.
It'll be interesting to see how it functions during the Thanksgiving holiday period.
wrp96, ajGoes, chrisl137 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:44 pm

Local news featured travelers who claimed to wait "45 minutes to an hour" with no shade (except the limited green awnings), plus some news helicopter footage of a long line down the sidewalk islands. The news reporter did say the caveat that the traffic experience in the Central Terminal Area was very smooth and quick, so it appears to be doing its job of reducing congestion. They also said the shuttles going to the LAX-it lot were quick.

I think it might because of a driver supply issue - the drivers (one of whom interviewed said it was crazy) are confused and might be waiting it out to see how much of a mess it is and waiting for the kinks to be worked out.

During the newscast live shot, it looked like LAWA employees in street clothes had jumped in to assist directing cars through the LAX-it lot.

Curious to hear what more experienced (e.g. FTers) have to say once they experience it.
LIH Prem and ryw like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
My wife’s flight to Burbank on SWA was delayed this afternoon so she switched it at the gate to LAX. When she saw the signs for LAX-it by Term 1, someone said it would be about an hour wait. She decided to walk across Sepulveda to the Hyatt and request her Uber there. Driver showed up in 3 minutes.
LIH Prem, wrp96, ajGoes and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.