Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

July 26 2019: "Heavy traffic outside LAX"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Got e-mail for UA for tomorrow:

While it's been a month since I flew, are things really that bad right now?

David
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:54 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Here is a link to the LAX Construction Traffic Advisories website and a real time map.

This is the advisory for June 26 through September 30:
Activity:
Intermittent, short–term lane reductions will be implemented as needed on streets in the LAX area to conduct underground utility explorations. At least one through lane of traffic and access to businesses will be maintained at all times.

Dates:
Wednesday, June 26, 2019 through Monday, September 30, 2019
*Dates and times subject to change.

Time:
Monday through Friday 9 AM to 3:30 PM
Saturday 8 AM to 6 PM

Locations:
Refer to the map below.
I'll just note that when I was at LAX in the early afternoon hours of July 8 and late afternoon hours of July 15, traffic on the upper roadway was normal (for the LAX horseshoe loop, that is).
Attached Images  
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow! Lots of "exploration"...Yikes!

I'll be getting to LAX by 6:30 AM (or earlier) hopefully so one would think that I might miss some of this but we'll see.

Thanks for the link and status!

David
Old Jul 25, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just found a specific advisory for this weekend:
Planning to take a flight out of or into Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) July 25-28?

Please be advised that a 57-hour full closure of the intersection of Century and Aviation boulevards near LAX is scheduled from 9 p.m. Friday, July 25 to 6 a.m. Monday, July 28. The southbound direction only of Aviation Boulevard between Arbor Vitae and 104th Street also will be closed. The closure will allow demolition of an unused bridge so that construction of a light-rail station can begin.

While all four entrances into the LAX Central Terminal Area, including Century Boulevard, will remain open, the closure is expected to cause traffic delays in and around LAX. Century Boulevard is used by one-third of the nearly 80,000 vehicles that enter the terminal area daily. Traffic is especially busy during LAX’s daily peak periods from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Except their advisory is confused - July 25th is today, Thursday. So, do they mean Thursday, July 25th or Friday, July 26th?
I checked the link and it's still showing the incorrect info...
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:38 pm

It makes more sense for the closure to be on the weekend; that is Friday night, July 26, to Monday morning, which will be the 29th, not the 28th.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:08 pm

I keep Googling to try to find another source for this alert.

Best that I can tell, this is an advisory from five years ago that for some inexplicable reason was recently republished by Discover Los Angeles.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:24 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I just assume traffic outside LAX will be awful by default

Maybe more helpfully, their website posts weekly construction updates, with scheduled times of work, closures, etc - https://www.flylax.com/en/lax-traffi...transportation. Not having flown out of LAX on United for a while I wonder if this is a generic message they send to all LAX flights (Delta has had a standing LAX "advisory" for what feels like years now).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWIW, at 6:20 am on last Friday (07/26/19), I didn't encounter any traffic issues. Would be interested to hear if others are seeing any additional traffic problems in getting to/from LAX .

David
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by DELee
FWIW, at 6:20 am on last Friday (07/26/19), I didn't encounter any traffic issues. Would be interested to hear if others are seeing any additional traffic problems in getting to/from LAX .
I received the same warning from UA for the 6:30 IAD departure. There was no traffic when I arrived around 5:00 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I flew out last Thursday (7/25) with an 8:20am departure. There was some construction blocking lanes on both upper and lower level roadway as well as outside LAX and traffic was pretty bad when I arrived around 7am. Never got any notice from AA about traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.