Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Are landings always at runways 24 and 25 because departures must also be from 24/25

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are landings always at runways 24 and 25 because departures must also be from 24/25

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:07 am
Original Poster

I imagine in perfect weather conditions residents would hate to hear throttles at 100% if they are not on a derated takeoff and would hate if planes took off east towards the city. And obviously because departures take off west towards the ocean is this basically the reason landings are towards the ocean as well and not from the ocean which would make a lot more sense and just be slightly safer?

althought I enjoy the sids and stars because I always see my house during the BAYST STANDARD TERMINAL ARRIVAL ROUTE (STAR) and get to see the same plane arrived in take off and pass my house using the LADYJ4 STANDARD INSTRUMENT DEPARTURE (SID).

also. Is it true that way back decades ago the runway for takeoff and landing was 6l/6r and 7l/7r until they got complaints and switched it to 24/25?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Daveslaine
also. Is it true that way back decades ago the runway for takeoff and landing was 6l/6r and 7l/7r until they got complaints and switched it to 24/25?
It mostly has to do with the direction of the winds.

Take a look at this thread:

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 16, 2019 at 5:34 pm Reason: Fix link
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Departures are always looking for lift, and no side winds,

After departure right turn or left will avoid crowded areas
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
Prevailing winds come in off the ocean and so dictate normal westerly operations. During Santa Ana winds it could be reversed
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
It mostly has to do with the direction of the winds.

Take a look at this thread:
You messed up the link. This is the one you want:

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RandomNobody
You messed up the link. This is the one you want:

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07
Oops, my bad.

All fixed now.

Thanks,

TWA884

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.