Wiki Posts
Search

"Electric cart" service at LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
"Electric cart" service at LAX?

I need to realize I am not getting any younger and recently just standing in a queue made my bad back flare up so badly it took ten days for the pain to pass. I have a business class ticket YVR-LAX-LHR and looking at the connection from Air Canada (terminal 6) to Air New Zealand (TBIT), this looks like something I do not want to walk. I have seen these little electric carts zipping around carrying passengers. (I actually rode in one at LHR T2 once, it was like a scheduled service so you could skip the long tunnel, it was so nice after a long flight to just sit and not haul my carcass for another fifteen minutes.) Who do I contact to get one? Do I call LAX and if yes, who? Do I call AC? NZ? Do I just tell the check in at YVR? Do I need medical proof -- that would suck, I do not have a disability per se. To clarify, I do not need a wheelchair, probably I could do the trek but I do not want to risk it before a 12 hour flight.

Last edited by chx1975; Nov 5, 2018 at 10:21 pm
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I recall seeing carts in the underground tunnels between 6/5/4 but it has been quite some time. But you'd still need to get down to the tunnel, hope for carts (if they still exist), and then go back upstairs at 4 and walk to TBIT. I haven't been down there in some time, but I don't recall if there were moving walkways. Given that your alternative for not walking would be to either (1) order a wheelchair, or (2) go landside and take a bus around the loop - do not do this - do not do this - do not do this, you are best walking, hope for a cart, and sit down or rest as needed, time permitting.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:24 am

I've seen the carts in the T5-6 tunnel but that was several years ago back when Delta was operating there. I don't know if it's still there.

My advice would be to request wheelchair assistance. I'd start with calling Air Canada reservations to request it since they're operating your first segment.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I recall seeing carts in the underground tunnels between 6/5/4 but it has been quite some time. But you'd still need to get down to the tunnel, hope for carts (if they still exist), and then go back upstairs at 4 and walk to TBIT. I haven't been down there in some time, but I don't recall if there were moving walkways.
Coming to think of it, AA did have an electric cart running between T4 and T5 when the T4 Admirals Club was closed for renovations. I'm not sure it that's still the case. There are no moving sidewalks in the tunnels, that I'm sure of.

The airport does operate a wheelchair lift-equipped shuttle around the central terminal loop, but I doubt that is what the OP is looking for, as that would involve leaving the secured area and having to go through a TSA security checkpoint at TBIT.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I recall seeing carts in the underground tunnels between 6/5/4 but it has been quite some time. [...] you are best walking, hope for a cart, and sit down or rest as needed, time permitting.
Yes, I found references to those carts from years ago. Not sure whether they still exist. Time is ... not too bad. 13:27 arrival, leaves at 16:10 which means I need to be there by 15:30 which gives me roughly two hours to do the trek.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

I asked https://www.facebook.com/LAInternationalAirport/ whether
still exists and if yes how could I get on one and the answer is "when you arrive at T6 you will find this cart so you can ask the driver to drop you off to TBIT."
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
There are cart service between T6 and T5 tunnel, and then a different cart service between T5 and T4 tunnel. Then you have to walk to TBIT.

The carts just go back and forth in the each tunnel so just hope on and hope off.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
LAX cart between gates

My wife is taking my MIL to HI in a couple weeks and they have a layover at LAX. Does LAX have a service of carts to get from one gate to another? My MIL refuses to use a wheelchair but can not walk more than 100 yds or so. I know at MSP there are carts waiting right after security.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
She going to need wheelchair assistance if flights involve change of terminals. If you there are no change of terminals, most gates in the same terminal are less than 100 yards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.