Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do in Long Beach for a week

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Question What to do in Long Beach for a week

I am traveling with my hubbie for a week in June - he will be in a conference during the day - so I will need some ideas of things to do during the day - any suggestions ? Artsy - local - non touristy ( or at least not the usual "stuff" ) historical - or anything I can uber to that won't cost an arm and a leg? Foodie scene ? TIA!
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
The area right around the convention center is fairly touristy but a nice stroll along the waterfront, wander around the pedestrian Promenade.

You can take the light rail Blue Line into downtown. Tons of stuff to do there.
And you could actually switch lines to visit Hollywood or Santa Monica.
Santa Monica has some great shops along Main Street south of the 10, but you may want to uber from the light rail to there, as it is a mile or so to that area.

Just a couple low cost options.
Mc3kids likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Mc3kids
I am traveling with my hubbie for a week in June - he will be in a conference during the day - so I will need some ideas of things to do during the day - any suggestions ? Artsy - local - non touristy ( or at least not the usual "stuff" ) historical - or anything I can uber to that won't cost an arm and a leg? Foodie scene ? TIA!
Suggestions:
Long Beach Museum of Art, in quaint "home" overlooking the ocean (outdoor restaurant with ocean view), interesting collection. The Aquarium of the Pacific is outstanding, and a walk in the vicinity is enjoyable. MOLAA (Latin Am art museum) is also a good hour or two.

Dining: Utopia (East Village, downtown), cozy, artsy, excellent eclectic cuisine. King's (Pine Street) for the best seafood. Maya (across the water) for spellbinding view from outdoor terrace overlooking the ocean and the Queen Mary.

Belmont Shore for a small town feel, the beauty of Alamitos Bay, and the California lifestyle.
pbiflyer and Mc3kids like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to planning this trip with your suggestions!!
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If you don't mind public transportation, Long Beach has good bus service. Downtown has its Transit Plaza where virtually every line in Long Beach goes through at some point - so you can hop on and go anywhere in Long Beach, usually without even transferring. There's also a new downtown area free shuttle, I just saw them the other day on my way home: Long Beach Launches New Downtown Shuttle Service in Partnership with The Free Ride

If you like quirky/funky, there's the "Retro Row" area on Fourth Street.

A day trip to Catalina Island may also be fun.

I live downtown, so probably just a stone's throw away from where you'll be. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 4:49 pm

It's a fun trip from Long Beach to Catalina. If you haven't been there yet, you really do have to go.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Steel Craft is a quirky foodie place. If the weather is nice, a nice Hawaiian Shave Ice hits the spot. https://www.steelcraftlb.com/

Please take a look at a map of Long Beach; it's a pretty large city, even by SoCal standards. In general, I would advise you to avoid anything directly to the West of the 710 freeway. The general area bordered by the 710 to the west, Carson St to the North and the 605 to the East is relatively safe but use common sense at all times.

My best friend's family lives by Silverado Park and operate a small strawberry stand on Santa Fe and it's a pretty blue-collar part of town.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by OskiBear
If you don't mind public transportation, Long Beach has good bus service. Downtown has its Transit Plaza where virtually every line in Long Beach goes through at some point - so you can hop on and go anywhere in Long Beach, usually without even transferring. There's also a new downtown area free shuttle, I just saw them the other day on my way home: Long Beach Launches New Downtown Shuttle Service in Partnership with The Free Ride

If you like quirky/funky, there's the "Retro Row" area on Fourth Street.

A day trip to Catalina Island may also be fun.

I live downtown, so probably just a stone's throw away from where you'll be. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.
And I'm just a couple of blocks east of Retro Row!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I found Retro Row just as I had to leave to meet coworkers for dinner. Wish I had more time to spend there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.