Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

ONT Expands Domestic and International Service

ONT Expands Domestic and International Service

Old Jul 22, 17, 1:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,289
ONT Expands Domestic and International Service

Ontario International Airport (ONT) held two press conferences this week to announce expanded service.

Frontier Airlines (F9) will begin flights to Denver and Austin starting October 12, 2017. They will also be flying to Chicago O'Hare starting next spring.

Source: http://www.dailybulletin.com/busines...=topstoriesrot

More interestingly, Dynamic International Airways (2D) has begun operating charters between Nanchang, China (KHN) and ONT with a fuel/customs stop in Anchorage (ANC). These charters are aimed at group tours for Chinese customers only.

Dynamic will seek governmental approval to expand the charter in regular scheduled service. They identified Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong as targets for service in 2018.
"Officials also announced its intention to develop domestic service from Ontario to major U.S. cities such as New York, Washington, D.C., said Alicia Goa, spokeswoman with Dynamic International Airways.

This is our first service from China to Ontario but this is just the beginning," she said. "Ontario will be our gateway and operation hub in mainland U.S., from China to mainland U.S."
Source: http://www.dailybulletin.com/busines...flights-coming
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Jul 22, 17, 1:59 pm
  #2  
ryw
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: OAK & SFO
Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Posts: 663
The China flights are interesting. Might make sense with lots of Asian populations living in the San Gabriel Valley. I've never done an international arrival into ONT, but I wonder if they're planning to upgrade their customs facilities, or if they're still going to use the sort of outpost international arrivals "terminal" for those flights.

Personally I wish this expansion gave me more options with the legacies out of ONT or that B6 would return (though I'm pretty happy with the WN options there), but happy to hear that they're getting some more traffic.

Last edited by ryw; Jul 23, 17 at 3:04 pm Reason: typos
ryw is offline  
Old Jul 23, 17, 11:56 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 494
I believe that dynamic international airways is actually planning on doing another charter service next year. Well thats what I read in one of the articles that was posted. They also want to become a legacy carrier and not a charter airline anymore. Things are looking up for ONT airport
brabb12 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 17, 1:57 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,289
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
The China flights are interesting. Might make sense with lots of Asian populations living in the San Gabriel Valley. I've never done an international arrival into ONT, but I wonder if they're planning to upgrade their customs facilities, or if they're still going to use the sort of outpost international arrivals "terminal" for those flights.

Personally I wish this expansion gave me more options with the legacies out of ONT or that B6 (though I'm pretty happy with the WN options there), but happy to hear that they're getting some more traffic.
Early this year, Long Beach officials opted not to construct Customs facilities at LGB. (You may already know that.) I'd like to believe that the folks at ONT were on the phone the following day setting up a meeting with B6.

More about that on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...-proposal.html

I can't quickly find a source, but I remember reading that expanded Customs facilities were certainly on the table at ONT. The new owners do seem to be trying to gain business. That's a change when compared to when Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) was running things.

Personally, I'd love B6 to go into ONT. I visit my aunt in the Pomona Valley area about twice a year. A nonstop from here in FLL would make my life so much simpler.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Jul 23, 17, 3:16 pm
  #5  
ryw
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: OAK & SFO
Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Posts: 663
Originally Posted by writerguyfl View Post
Early this year, Long Beach officials opted not to construct Customs facilities at LGB. (You may already know that.) I'd like to believe that the folks at ONT were on the phone the following day setting up a meeting with B6.

More about that on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...-proposal.html

I can't quickly find a source, but I remember reading that expanded Customs facilities were certainly on the table at ONT. The new owners do seem to be trying to gain business. That's a change when compared to when Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) was running things.

Personally, I'd love B6 to go into ONT. I visit my aunt in the Pomona Valley area about twice a year. A nonstop from here in FLL would make my life so much simpler.
I actually didn't realize LGB rejected a customs facility plan. I missed the part in the original post about Dynamic stopping in ANC for refueling/customs, so I guess they can arrive into ONT as a domestic flight. Still, I wouldn't surprised if ONT went for expanded customs facilities in the near future. Big problem I guess is if there'd be enough O/D traffic to sustain it (since there's not really a whole lot of options for flights, though WN could probably sustain a Mexico route through ONT, since I think they stopped their SNA-Mexico routes due to losing gates).

I do remember B6 at ONT in the early 2000s - it'd be great to lure them back! Getting transcon nonstops again from ONT would be wonderful!
ryw is offline  
Old Jul 23, 17, 5:21 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I actually didn't realize LGB rejected a customs facility plan. I missed the part in the original post about Dynamic stopping in ANC for refueling/customs, so I guess they can arrive into ONT as a domestic flight. Still, I wouldn't surprised if ONT went for expanded customs facilities in the near future. Big problem I guess is if there'd be enough O/D traffic to sustain it (since there's not really a whole lot of options for flights, though WN could probably sustain a Mexico route through ONT, since I think they stopped their SNA-Mexico routes due to losing gates).

I do remember B6 at ONT in the early 2000s - it'd be great to lure them back! Getting transcon nonstops again from ONT would be wonderful!
Ontario already has a customs area. They have 3 different flights to mexico. Two to Guadalajara and LEON.
brabb12 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:09 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,053
This popped up in the CI thread in the "Other Asian Airlines" forum... Appears to be an official survey from CI to its FF base in LA area.



Link to the survey (google docs): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ykt8g/viewform
bzcat is offline  
Old Jul 25, 17, 2:30 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 494
Interesting.
brabb12 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 17, 4:03 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 2,289
Thank you for sharing, bzcat. That's a forum I don't visit, so I would have missed this.
writerguyfl is offline  
Old Jul 25, 17, 5:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
This popped up in the CI thread in the "Other Asian Airlines" forum... Appears to be an official survey from CI to its FF base in LA area.



Link to the survey (google docs): https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...ykt8g/viewform
do you have a link to that forum ?? Or is it on flyertalk??
brabb12 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 17, 6:52 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 2,857
I know my parents would love that option now that they've edged far east in the San Gabriel Valley and almost into the Inland Empire.

Getting to LAX has become more and more of a pain for them each time they fly.

I imagine CI would give up some connecting traffic (if much at all) but what else would they lose? It would interesting to understand the base of travelers on the LAX-TPE route - it's up to what, 4-6 frequencies per day between BR & CI? How much connecting traffic versus O&D traffic? How much business versus leisure?

ONT is a lot easier to navigate than LAX and closer to the SGV where a good proportion of the Chinese/Taiwanese community is based.
OskiBear is offline  
Old Jul 25, 17, 7:56 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
do you have a link to that forum ?? Or is it on flyertalk??
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I know my parents would love that option now that they've edged far east in the San Gabriel Valley and almost into the Inland Empire.

Getting to LAX has become more and more of a pain for them each time they fly.

I imagine CI would give up some connecting traffic (if much at all) but what else would they lose? It would interesting to understand the base of travelers on the LAX-TPE route - it's up to what, 4-6 frequencies per day between BR & CI? How much connecting traffic versus O&D traffic? How much business versus leisure?

ONT is a lot easier to navigate than LAX and closer to the SGV where a good proportion of the Chinese/Taiwanese community is based.
If they were to start this service, what aircraft would they use for the service? 777-300er? Or A350?
I would think the A350. Since its small aircraft.
brabb12 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 17, 4:24 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,053
Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
do you have a link to that forum ?? Or is it on flyertalk??
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...taiwan-43.html

Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I know my parents would love that option now that they've edged far east in the San Gabriel Valley and almost into the Inland Empire.

Getting to LAX has become more and more of a pain for them each time they fly.

I imagine CI would give up some connecting traffic (if much at all) but what else would they lose? It would interesting to understand the base of travelers on the LAX-TPE route - it's up to what, 4-6 frequencies per day between BR & CI? How much connecting traffic versus O&D traffic? How much business versus leisure?
BR is currently 3x daily (21x weekly):
  • BR011 1:00 AM departure daily
  • BR015 1:30 AM departure daily
  • BR005 1:00 PM departure daily

Roughly 6,800 seats every week (all 9 abreast 77W)

CI is currently 19x weekly:
  • CI009 12:00 AM departure daily
  • CI007 1:00 AM departure daily
  • CI005 4:25 PM departure 5x weekly

Roughly 6800 seats every week (all 10 abreast 77W)

My hunch is both airlines focus largely on O&D at LAX and a mix of O&D and connecting traffic at TPE (e.g. BR's TG and SQ codeshare ex-BKK and SIN).

There is a fair amount of business travel between LAX and TPE and LAX-Southeast Asia via TPE.

If CI moved one of the flights to ONT, I'm guessing it would be CI005.

Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
If they were to start this service, what aircraft would they use for the service? 777-300er? Or A350?
I would think the A350. Since its small aircraft.
I think CI will use A350 to ONT but they will go daily and drop LAX down to 2x daily 77W. So total of 3x daily to LA area but with roughly 7,000 seats per week.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 30, 17 at 10:02 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
bzcat is offline  
Old Jul 26, 17, 5:44 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
BR is currently 3x daily (21x weekly):
  • BR011 1:00 AM departure daily
  • BR015 1:30 AM departure daily
  • BR005 1:00 PM departure daily

Roughly 6,800 seats every week (all 9 abreast 77W)

CI is currently 19x weekly:
  • CI009 12:00 AM departure daily
  • CI007 1:00 AM departure daily
  • CI005 4:25 PM departure 5x weekly

Roughly 6800 seats every week (all 10 abreast 77W)

My hunch is both airlines focus largely on O&D at LAX and a mix of O&D and connecting traffic at TPE (e.g. BR's TG and SQ codeshare ex-BKK and SIN).

There is a fair amount of business travel between LAX and TPE and LAX-Southeast Asia via TPE.

If CI moved one of the flights to ONT, I'm guessing it would be CI005.



I think CI will use A350 to ONT but they will go daily and drop LAX down to 2x daily 77W. So total of 3x daily to LA area but with roughly 7,000 seats per week.
It be kind of interesting also because LAX has not had the A350 yet. ONT would get it before LAX. That would be a sight to see for the people in LA area.
brabb12 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:32 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 2,857
Looks like it's official: http://www.flyontario.com/corporate/...tional-airport
OskiBear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread