Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse to [15 West Gates Now Open, 8 More Being Built]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Midfield Satellite Concourse to [15 West Gates Now Open, 8 More Being Built]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A well known Hawaii travel blog recently called out the mid field terminal as the worst airport experience in HA’s network and chastised the airline for agreeing to move there.

I completely agree.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
A well known Hawaii travel blog recently called out the mid field terminal as the worst airport experience in HA’s network and chastised the airline for agreeing to move there.

I completely agree.
Was not even aware that there was a new terminal until I saw this story:

https://www.sfgate.com/hawaii/articl...s-17786603.php

Although I have not personally visited the terminal, the complaint seems pretty specious. Clearly the author has never visited LHR or FRA. Even walking from ORD Terminal B to C through the tunnel takes a while.

That said I would be all the lounges are in the main terminal?

$1.6B for just 12 gates?? What kind of idiot signed off on this project?

If LAX wants to join the 21st century, they don't need 12 more gates, they to start with:

1. a Miami-style high speed monorail connecting the terminals with a centralized rental car and transportation hub station off-site

2. an "overlay" build-out that layers a pre and post security ticketing/security concourse on top of the separate terminal buildings to create one consistent U shaped seamless terminal building to permit gate assignment flexibility instead of so many disconnected terminal buildings

3. a McNamara/DTW style pre and post security monorail built inside the overlay that moves people between zones of the new single-terminal look overlay or a YYZ-style high speed moving walk-ways doing the same at ground level
I am not sure LAX needs a high-priced monorail within the airport. It is not all that difficult to make domestic-international connections even walking to/from Bradley.

The bigger nightmare - the one that makes me avoid LAX like the plague - is the horrific traffic/gridlock both inside the airport and sometimes on Century Blvd leading into the airport. This can literally add 30 minutes or more, particularly if you are waiting for a shuttle (and often the shuttles are full and don't even stop at T7-T8). So maybe a monorail is needed to run down Century Blvd and to loop through Car rental lots and rideshare lots. But the price should be elimination of all the shuttles.

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 8, 2023 at 4:05 pm
Old Mar 8, 2023, 4:32 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The bigger nightmare - the one that makes me avoid LAX like the plague - is the horrific traffic/gridlock both inside the airport and sometimes on Century Blvd leading into the airport.
While the horseshoe in the airport can be awful at times beginning just east of Terminal 1, it is easy to avoid the potential mess on Century. Enter the airport from Sepulveda Blvd. All the livery and Uber traffic have long recognized that the Sepulveda access (aka: Vicksburg or 96th Street entrances) is more efficient. You can also exit the 405 Freeway on La Tijera or Manchester to approach that entrance.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The bigger nightmare - the one that makes me avoid LAX like the plague - is the horrific traffic/gridlock both inside the airport and sometimes on Century Blvd leading into the airport. This can literally add 30 minutes or more, particularly if you are waiting for a shuttle (and often the shuttles are full and don't even stop at T7-T8). So maybe a monorail is needed to run down Century Blvd and to loop through Car rental lots and rideshare lots. But the price should be elimination of all the shuttles.
It must have a very long time since you have been at LAX. A new consolidated rental car is near completion. There is also the new Economy Parking structure which replaced Lot C. Both will be connected to the terminal complex by an automated people mover which is scheduled to start testing this year. Car rental, hotel and parking shuttles will no longer be permitted in the airport once the APM is operational.

All that being said and with my moderator's hat on, this is off-topic for the TBIT West Gates thread. Please continue this discussion in the relevant thread:
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:36 pm

I know AF-KLM is planning to build a lounge in the West Gates. Will there be any more lounges besides that proposed one in the TBIT West Gates?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
AF lounge is the only one confirmed in TBIT West concourse. Hawaiian probably could use one but doesn't seem like it makes sense to build one given the relatively small premium cabin of its 3 daily flights. Perhaps they will use the AF lounge once it opens.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 2:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
MSC South Ground Breaking Last Week

MSC South Groundbreaking Last Week

Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) has celebrated the groundbreaking of its Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) South project at Los Angles International Airport (LAX).

Substantial completion is scheduled for 2025 at which point the EAAgles Nest is supposed to be razed to make way for Terminal 9. Getting Terminal 9 built in time for Olympics is the goal. although schedule looks tight!
Old Jul 28, 2023, 1:45 pm

Location: Los Angeles and Eastern Sierra (weekly travel to SJC). "Home airports": LAX/BUR/BIH/SJC
Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, TSA Pre

I completely agree.
Yeah, that's a no-brainer. But is it because HA wouldn't pay higher fees to LAWA? Seems like these are a la cheap gates. Seems like a waste to build more international gates with walkways to FIS and then just use them for domestic.

It seems like everyone is dumping their flights into TBIT: Delta (what is going on with T2 FIS?) and partners, American and a handful of domestic carriers. Does LAWA/CBP want to consolidate all operations at TBIT? If so, that should open gates up for domestic carriers.

The walk from the 200+ gates reminds of me Heathrow Terminal 2B.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 2:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
MSC South preparation well underway as of 8/3/23.

SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.