2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And it's not clear how many people who transfer from Alaska to LAN try to stay airside, because I presume that requires being carry-on only (ie, if Alaska can't give you boarding passes, can they transfer your bags?), and relatively few people fly carry-on only.
If there in the same PNR, there's no reason that AS can't spit out a thru bag tag. This is separate from BPs. In fact, an airline can manually build a bag tag for just about any airline it has an interline baggage agreement.

LATAM doesn't have any airside CS counters, and the OW lounge can't spit out a LATAM BP for you, unless things have recently changed. Go to the gate when it is first staffed, and if you have a checked bag, give them the tag so they can input the tag info if it didn't carry over into its system from your original bag check.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:37 am

Can you check your bags all the way to your destination

Check if LATAM (the new airline name) has an agreement with Alaska Airlines that allows you to check your bags all the way to your final destination. If not, all your planning goes out the window - you will have to leave the secured area and claim your luggage at Terminal 6 baggage claim, then proceed to TBIT to check your bags in at LATAM (Level 3). Further, LATAM may not take your bags until 4 hours before your flight.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

I'll arrive on SK939 this Sat 17/6 at 12:15, continuing with UA531 at 14:15, with through checked luggade. I see airside tunnel has opened between TBIT and T4-8. Since I'll be going to T7, will it be any faster to pass security into airside at TBIT and use the tunnel route than to go landside to T7 and pass there? Landside seems like a more direct route.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by srg2
I'll arrive on SK939 this Sat 17/6 at 12:15, continuing with UA531 at 14:15, with through checked luggade. I see airside tunnel has opened between TBIT and T4-8. Since I'll be going to T7, will it be any faster to pass security into airside at TBIT and use the tunnel route than to go landside to T7 and pass there? Landside seems like a more direct route.
I believe that all passengers from international arrivals(besides pre-clearance) are required to go through immigration/customs and exit landside. If this is the case, then I think walking landside to T7 is faster/more convenient. However, it will be warmer. That being said, it can get pretty warm in the tunnels as well.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
I believe that all passengers from international arrivals(besides pre-clearance) are required to go through immigration/customs and exit landside. If this is the case, then I think walking landside to T7 is faster/more convenient. However, it will be warmer. That being said, it can get pretty warm in the tunnels as well.
Yeah I'll be exiting landisde there, but if I understand it correctly I have the possibility to return airside directly at TBIT and use the tunnels to T7. But as you say, it looks like it's more convenient to use the landside route in this scenario.

The return will be the opposite, arrive with UA on I guess T7 or T8 and transfer to TBIT on a UA-SK through ticket. Will I be able to use the tunnels then? I can't remember clearly, but when I've done that same route before sometimes I've gotten a complete boarding pass for both LAS-LAX and LAX-ARn legs, but before going through security at TBIT I've been denied access and been told to get a new boarding pass from SAS, and I'm not really sure why?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:48 am

Hi,
I'm looking to book a flight from MCO to MEL in October this year.
The flight is via United and it goes MCO>LAX (UA1539) then LAX>MEL (UA98) with only a 39minute connection time in between.

I'm guessing bags will be checked thru to Melbourne from Orlando?
Is the 39minutes connection time enough?

thanks in advance
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The return will be the opposite, arrive with UA on I guess T7 or T8 and transfer to TBIT on a UA-SK through ticket. Will I be able to use the tunnels then? I can't remember clearly, but when I've done that same route before sometimes I've gotten a complete boarding pass for both LAS-LAX and LAX-ARn legs, but before going through security at TBIT I've been denied access and been told to get a new boarding pass from SAS, and I'm not really sure why?
Yes, you will be able to use the tunnels and upper level connectors to transfer from United to Scandinavian Airlines on your return. Take a look at this map: How Do I Connect from Terminal B Through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots!(PDF).

If you take that route, you will not have to clear TSA security at TBIT.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by kimera
Hi,
The flight is via United and it goes MCO>LAX (UA1539) then LAX>MEL (UA98) with only a 39minute connection time in between.

thanks in advance
I would not risk such a connection to a once a day flight.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:17 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kimera
Hi,

thanks in advance
If they will sell you the ticket, it is a legal connection; however, it might be very tight even if your flight from MCO arrives on time.

Years ago, the MCT (minimum connect time) from domestic to international United flights at LAX was 30 minutes. I am not sure what it is nowadays. You are probably better off consulting the following thread in the United Airlines | MileagePlus forum: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at LAX
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Yes, you will be able to use the tunnels and upper level connectors to transfer from United to Scandinavian Airlines on your return. Take a look at this map: How Do I Connect from Terminal B Through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots!(PDF).

If you take that route, you will not have to clear TSA security at TBIT.
Thanks! More time in the lounge for me ^
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:34 pm

I believe that all passengers from international arrivals(besides pre-clearance) are required to go through immigration/customs and exit landside.
True, however, there's a little (or less) used TSA checkpoint right outside of Customs at TBIT that leads up to the airside T4/TBIT bridge.

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...pt-secret-lax/
Old Jun 16, 2017, 4:31 pm

Yeah I'll be exiting landisde there, but if I understand it correctly I have the possibility to return airside directly at TBIT and use the tunnels to T7. But as you say, it looks like it's more convenient to use the landside route in this scenario.

The reason I was thinking landside would be easier is that it's a straighter walk since you don't have to go upstairs/downstairs. I also thought that all TBIT checkpoints did not have precheck, however the post below shows that I was incorrect. Just something else to consider if you are eligible. If you want to make use of full precheck, you'll have to go to one of the other terminals on the way to T7.

As someone answered already, yes you can take the tunnels and connector to TBIT and stay airside.

Originally Posted by RandomNobody
True, however, there's a little (or less) used TSA checkpoint right outside of Customs at TBIT that leads up to the airside T4/TBIT bridge.

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...pt-secret-lax/
Ah I did not realize that this one handles PreCheck. Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:47 pm

Ah I did not realize that this one handles PreCheck. Thanks for the info!
It doesn't; that checkpoint has only PreCheck-Light, not full PreCheck.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
If they will sell you the ticket, it is a legal connection; however, it might be very tight even if your flight from MCO arrives on time.

Years ago, the MCT (minimum connect time) from domestic to international United flights at LAX was 30 minutes. I am not sure what it is nowadays. You are probably better off consulting the following thread in the United Airlines | MileagePlus forum: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at LAX
thanks TWA, will check that forum out
yes they are selling the ticket
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CX Arrival at TBIT, connecting to AS departure at T6

Arriving on CX F with Global Entry and no checked bag, at 2:50pm, connecting to AS at 4:30pm to SEA.

I do not know if CX could issue the AS BP at HKG even though all segments are on same ticket issued by AS.

Would the walking to T6 on landside the quickest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.