Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

How fast do most people drive on I-5 from LA to San Diego? Can it be done in 1.5 hrs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How fast do most people drive on I-5 from LA to San Diego? Can it be done in 1.5 hrs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Timing

Avoid driving I5 during commuter hours and you have a decent chance of making the drive between Anaheim and san diego in that time range.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaliforniasCentralCoast
Avoid driving I5 during commuter hours and you have a decent chance of making the drive between Anaheim and san diego in that time range.
avoide the I5? is there an alternative highway?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884
If the traffic is free flowing, which is pretty rare, traffic may flow at about 75 mph and a few will drive at 80 mph or faster. Several friends who drove back to the Los Angeles area from a conference in San Diego last weekend report that the drive took 4-5 hours.
ok, thanks!

I guess I should wait until the state of California completes the high speed rail
service between LA and SD that will take just 37 minutes? Gonna be a long
wait.. Google will probably come out with self-driving cars so people can travel
from LA to SD with their eyes closed.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by weltfrieden
are there no cops in Southern California?
Yes, but they're more likely to pull someone over for driving too slow (which is actually more hazardous on our crowded freeways than speeding).

As others have said, when the traffic is allowed to flow freely the average speed is going to be 75-85. Of course one could drive faster, but there is a risk when going TOO much faster than the prevailing traffic that the police will indeed take notice!
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Yes, but they're more likely to pull someone over for driving too slow (which is actually more hazardous on our crowded freeways than speeding).

As others have said, when the traffic is allowed to flow freely the average speed is going to be 75-85. Of course one could drive faster, but there is a risk when going TOO much faster than the prevailing traffic that the police will indeed take notice!
What is the posted speed limit on the I-5 in California? What is considered slow? 55mph? 65mph?

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 21, 2016 at 1:33 pm Reason: Meta and political discussions better left for OMNI
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Reminder!

Originally Posted by TWA884
Please try to stay on topic, which is traffic on I5, not the Autobahn.

Thank you,

TWA884
Future posts discussing topics other than traffic on I5 in California will be deleted without further warning.

This is not FlyerTalk's venue for political commentaries.

Repeat offenders will be suspended.

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

TWA884
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:14 pm

avoide the I5? is there an alternative highway?
You could take I-15 North to CA-91 West to get from SD to Anaheim, but it's a lot further mileage and traffic likely won't be any better.

You could also take the Pacific Coast Highway (also known as PCH or CA-1), but it's not actually a freeway so will take longer. More scenic though since it goes through the beach towns right along the coast. And once you get to Oceanside, you'll have to get on I-5 anyway to go through Camp Pendleton. In Orange County it spits off again and at some point you'll have to find your way back inland (probably on CA-55) to make your way to Anaheim.

So yes, there are alternatives. They aren't any better. So even if you wind up having to go during busy traffic, I-5 is still the way to go. Either that, or take Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner train.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
What is considered slow? 55mph? 65mph?
It's subjective.
California Vehicle Code Section 22400:

(a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow
speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of
traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation,
because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway
so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of
traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in
compliance with law.

(b) Whenever the Department of Transportation determines on the
basis of an engineering and traffic survey that slow speeds on any
part of a state highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable
movement of traffic, the department may determine and declare a
minimum speed limit below which no person shall drive a vehicle,
except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law,
when appropriate signs giving notice thereof are erected along the
part of the highway for which a minimum speed limit is established.
Subdivision (b) of this section shall apply only to vehicles
subject to registration.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:38 pm

are there no cops in Southern California?

where I came from, drivers doing 80mph in 55mph or 65mph zone are
arrested 35% of the time... the rest are given tickets with mandatory
court appearances. 80mph in 55mph/65mph gets you reckless driving
misdemeanor and stays on the record for 11 years. With a good traffic
lawyer, first time offenders with good driving records usually get $290
fine and the charged reduced to speeding(not misdemeanor). It's
also the only state in the US that bans radar detectors, so I guess you
all know which state I'm referring to.
80mph is pretty common, especially when it's safe (few cars, good weather conditions) and traffic around you is going that speed too. I've found that at 80mph, CHP pretty much just ignores you. At 85mph, though, you have a good chance of being pulled over. It's really largely a function of relative speed—if everyone in your lane is doing 80mph, you're totally fine.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Javelin
80mph is pretty common, especially when it's safe (few cars, good weather conditions) and traffic around you is going that speed too. I've found that at 80mph, CHP pretty much just ignores you. At 85mph, though, you have a good chance of being pulled over. It's really largely a function of relative speed—if everyone in your lane is doing 80mph, you're totally fine.
IIRC a section of I-5 between SD and OC is speed enforced by aircraft. Perhaps that's why CHP exhibits the behavior you mention?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
IIRC a section of I-5 between SD and OC is speed enforced by aircraft. Perhaps that's why CHP exhibits the behavior you mention?
Which behavior?
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Which behavior?
Where they don't seem to bother unless there's enough of a speed differential. I'd imagine going only slightly over the speed limit wouldn't be all that noticeable from a few thousand feet up.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'll second this. I drive through LA and OC everyday on my commute (40 miles each way) and, as I'm going against traffic in a portion, 80mph appears to be the regular cruising speed.

My cars are set to ding when I exceed 80mph. It's not unusual that I have to move over to let someone pass me when I'm doing 80mph.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Where they don't seem to bother unless there's enough of a speed differential. I'd imagine going only slightly over the speed limit wouldn't be all that noticeable from a few thousand feet up.
I don't think so. I've been passed by CHP on numerous occasions going 80 mph. They just don't really care, especially when traffic is moving that fast (which it frequently does).

As long as you're not going drastically faster than surrounding traffic, you'll be perfectly fine.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
A rule of thumb to remember in California is that the fine for speeding doubles when you go more than 15 MPH over the speed limit. Thus on the stretch of I5 mentioned, where the speed limit is 65 MPH, the fine for going 81 MPH is 100% more than the fine for going 79 MPH. Like $180 more. Not surprizingly, anicdotal evedence would tend to indicate the CHP is far more likely to ticket the guy going 81 MPH than the guy going 79 MPH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.