Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:07 pm

Hi folks, figured I'd post here as I'm hearing LAX is a madhouse and I've got a short connection at the beginning of May. I'm flying from SEATAC to LAX via UA, and catching a connecting flight with Air Canada and my layover is only 1:10. Having never been to LAX, I don't know what it's like to get through the terminals, which I am assuming arrival at 7 (?) and flying out of 2. Can anyone provide insight as to whether or not I will be able to do this with little stress, note I have only carry on luggage with me during this trip.

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Originally Posted by Eluder
Hi folks, figured I'd post here as I'm hearing LAX is a madhouse and I've got a short connection at the beginning of May. I'm flying from SEATAC to LAX via UA, and catching a connecting flight with Air Canada and my layover is only 1:10. Having never been to LAX, I don't know what it's like to get through the terminals, which I am assuming arrival at 7 (?) and flying out of 2. Can anyone provide insight as to whether or not I will be able to do this with little stress, note I have only carry on luggage with me during this trip.

Thanks!
That is tight. Here's my posting from a few years back on what you'll need to do.

Transfer T6/T7/T8 to T1/T2 via East Way

Note that there is a terminal bus you can take, but that will probably take as much time as walking. The good news is that you'd be going the "right way" around the loop, so it should only be 1 stop after you exit from T7 (not 100% on the # of stops, have never used the bus).

You have enough time provided everything runs smoothly and there are no delays at TSA. Personally I wouldn't book a connection that tight, but you can read my post and draw your own conclusions.

When I made the connection back in 2012 it took about 20 minutes gate to gate. But when I did my connection it was late in the evening, so traffic wasn't too bad and there was no line at TSA. If you're connecting in prime time you will need to add a few minutes.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:29 am

Thanks for the info, sadly it was the best option for me from a timing perspective, but since I've never been to LAX I had no idea it's a bad airport. My connecting flight is just after 10pm so I'm guessing that traffic will be relatively decent at that time of day. I'm surprised the airlines set up my flight this way to be honest if they know LAX is a troublesome place to get through.

Originally Posted by debracey
That is tight. Here's my posting from a few years back on what you'll need to do.

Transfer T6/T7/T8 to T1/T2 via East Way

Note that there is a terminal bus you can take, but that will probably take as much time as walking. The good news is that you'd be going the "right way" around the loop, so it should only be 1 stop after you exit from T7 (not 100% on the # of stops, have never used the bus).

You have enough time provided everything runs smoothly and there are no delays at TSA. Personally I wouldn't book a connection that tight, but you can read my post and draw your own conclusions.

When I made the connection back in 2012 it took about 20 minutes gate to gate. But when I did my connection it was late in the evening, so traffic wasn't too bad and there was no line at TSA. If you're connecting in prime time you will need to add a few minutes.

Last edited by Eluder; Apr 16, 2015 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Thanks for the info, sadly it was the best option for me from a timing perspective, but since I've never been to LAX I had no idea it's a bad airport. My connecting flight is just after 10pm so I'm guessing that traffic will be relatively decent at that time of day. I'm surprised the airlines set up my flight this way to be honest if they know LAX is a troublesome place to get through.
8PM to 10 PM is busy at LAX for domestic trans-con arrivals, international and domestic red eye departures. You will encounter lots of vehicular traffic. It will almost certainly be faster to walk for this connection.

I am wondering how you were ticketed for this connection. Based on your first post, it appears you are going to Canada. Domestic to international connection at LAX requires at least 90 minutes and you have only 70 minutes. That's not a legal connection if you are on the same ticket. You should call the airline that ticketed you to move you to an earlier flight.

Last edited by bzcat; Apr 16, 2015 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:57 am

LAX transfers

I am flying from JFK to LAX, arriving in LAX at 11:45am. I have a flight from LAX to Vancouver (YVR) at 1pm. Think I can make it? These are two separate flights with united airlines.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hpshepherd
I am flying from JFK to LAX, arriving in LAX at 11:45am. I have a flight from LAX to Vancouver (YVR) at 1pm. Think I can make it? These are two separate flights with united airlines.
These are, of course, separate flights, but are they separate tickets?

If this is one ticket, you are well within the Minimum Connect Time (MCT) and should have no problems at all. If for some reason your inbound from JFK is delayed and you misconnect, UA will handle rebooking you.

If this is two tickets, you still have plenty of time, but there is no MCT and you are not connecting. If you arrive late into LAX and have no showed for your onward flight to YVR, your ticket will be cancelled and you will then be at UA's mercy as to getting it reinstated without fees. I would never book a transfer between two tickets at <2 hours.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 17, 2015 at 8:30 am Reason: Place answer in context post thread merger
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:36 pm

I have no problem walking between the terminals, would be great to have some form of directions though to ensure I don't get lost in transit. My flight to LAX is with UA and flight to Canada is with Air Canada, procured on one ticket using my points. I guess I'll call Air Canada about this and see if they can put me on a later flight out of LAX.

Originally Posted by bzcat
8PM to 10 PM is busy at LAX for domestic trans-con arrivals, international and domestic red eye departures. You will encounter lots of vehicular traffic. It will almost certainly be faster to walk for this connection.

I am wondering how you were ticketed for this connection. Based on your first post, it appears you are going to Canada. Domestic to international connection at LAX requires at least 90 minutes and you have only 70 minutes. That's not a legal connection if you are on the same ticket. You should call the airline that ticketed you to move you to an earlier flight.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott silver, US Air, AA,
Terminal 6 to terminal 4 transfer via tunnel
Will be arriving US at Terminal 6 and will be departing Terminal 4 AA to LHR.
It is my understanding that the tunnel is open--where is it. We have 1.5hrs time--hoping that is enough. From my understanding if we go via tunnel we will not have to go out through security.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:37 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by desert traveler
Terminal 6 to terminal 4 transfer via tunnel
Will be arriving US at Terminal 6 and will be departing Terminal 4 AA to LHR.
It is my understanding that the tunnel is open--where is it. We have 1.5hrs time--hoping that is enough. From my understanding if we go via tunnel we will not have to go out through security.
Most of the information that you asked is in the Wiki at the top of the page.

The tunnel was reopened at least six months ago. There is no need to go outside the secured area when transferring between terminal 6 and 4. It's about a 10 to 15 minutes walk between these two terminals.

The entry to the tunnel is at the bottom of the escalators in the middle of the terminal between gates 64 A and B and 65 A and B.

Take a look at this map:
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hpshepherd
Should be fine since you are not changing terminal.

If you have checked luggage, make sure it is check-thru to YVR and tagged accordingly at JFK.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:00 pm

I have no problem walking between the terminals, would be great to have some form of directions though to ensure I don't get lost in transit. My flight to LAX is with UA and flight to Canada is with Air Canada, procured on one ticket using my points. I guess I'll call Air Canada about this and see if they can put me on a later flight out of LAX.
I linked you to my post with very specific directions as to what to do. Also check out Google Street View to get a feel for what you'll be doing.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I linked you to my post with very specific directions as to what to do. Also check out Google Street View to get a feel for what you'll be doing.
Note the link is not really useful; just taking one to "page 10" of that thread. (Results can vary depending on what a member's posts per page setting is.)

Transfer T6/T7/T8 to T1/T2 via East Way...
Here's a direct link to that very helpful post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18727613-post151.html

Last edited by serfty; Apr 20, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
I will be flying NAN-LAX-CLT in one month on two separate tickets (NAN-LAX on FJ and LAX-CLT on US). My understanding is that AA and US are still operating as separate airlines. FJ is partners with AA, but not US. Would it be possible to check my bags all the way to my final destination? If this is possible, what is the likelihood that FJ will actually do it? Assuming that my bags can and will be checked all the way through to CLT, will I be able to check them immediately after customs at TBIT or I would have to do this at T6? Not sure if this matters, but I will be arriving at LAX at 1:30 PM and my connecting flight will be leaving at 10:40 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by citizenoftheworld
I will be flying NAN-LAX-CLT in one month on two separate tickets (NAN-LAX on FJ and LAX-CLT on US). My understanding is that AA and US are still operating as separate airlines. FJ is partners with AA, but not US. Would it be possible to check my bags all the way to my final destination? If this is possible, what is the likelihood that FJ will actually do it? Assuming that my bags can and will be checked all the way through to CLT, will I be able to check them immediately after customs at TBIT or I would have to do this at T6? Not sure if this matters, but I will be arriving at LAX at 1:30 PM and my connecting flight will be leaving at 10:40 PM.
In this situation it won't matter how your bags are tagged. You'll have to pick them up to clear customs in LAX. Once you've cleared customs, you'll be able to drop your bags at the US desk. You'll have to stand in line to get the bags tagged, but there should be someone at the desk who can print your bag tag/boarding pass.

Now, FJ should be able to tag it to CLT anyway as an interline -- not sure if they'll actually do it -- don't have much experience with them. But they can do, it just won't help you very much either way.

With over 9 hours layover, you'll have more than enough time. No need to worry. Mind if I ask why you've got such a long layover? 3 hours should be safe in this instance, 4 hours would be more than enough -- just in case you want to change your flights. You're taking on a "double red-eye" which isn't for the faint of heart.... flying eastbound is rough -- you'll be dead tired by the time you arrive in CLT.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, OneWorld Sapphire
LAX connection

In this situation it won't matter how your bags are tagged. You'll have to pick them up to clear customs in LAX. Once you've cleared customs, you'll be able to drop your bags at the US desk. You'll have to stand in line to get the bags tagged, but there should be someone at the desk who can print your bag tag/boarding pass.

Now, FJ should be able to tag it to CLT anyway as an interline -- not sure if they'll actually do it -- don't have much experience with them. But they can do, it just won't help you very much either way.

With over 9 hours layover, you'll have more than enough time. No need to worry. Mind if I ask why you've got such a long layover? 3 hours should be safe in this instance, 4 hours would be more than enough -- just in case you want to change your flights. You're taking on a "double red-eye" which isn't for the faint of heart.... flying eastbound is rough -- you'll be dead tired by the time you arrive in CLT.
Thanks debracey for the input. My baggage consists of oversize sporting equipment, and therefore tagging it to my final destination might save me the $150 fee that US charges. I don't mind the long layover. I haven't been in LA for a while, so this will give me an opportunity to get out of the airport and hang out at the Venice Boardwalk, Santa Monica, or Manhattan Beach for a few hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.