Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with my mom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I have no time off. I home office and will just not travel that week and schedule appointments at the local refinery customers.

As long as I have my phone I'll manage. The plus side of being in sales.

Universal tour sounds good. I'll do the bus tour of the stars too. Santa Monica is just too far.

Getty museum.
Universal is way farther than Santa Monica. And is primarily an amusement park now. I'd do Disney instead. Maybe getting a map And guide book could help you plan without going back and forth. Do your LA activities and stay in LA and then do your OC activities while staying in Irvine.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I have no time off. I home office and will just not travel that week and schedule appointments at the local refinery customers.

As long as I have my phone I'll manage. The plus side of being in sales.

Universal tour sounds good. I'll do the bus tour of the stars too. Santa Monica is just too far.

Getty museum.
Uh, have you actually looked at a map? Irvine to Santa Monica is actually roughly the same, both in distance and time, as Irvine to Universal Studios. Now, if the difference is actually that you find Universal Studios to be more interesting (to you and/or to your mum), that I would understand. But claiming that Santa Monica is "too far" when you're willing to drive to Universal Studios....

Oh, and driving to Hollywood/Beverly Hills from Irvine.... about the same as to Santa Monica also. Ditto for Irvine to Getty Museum (LA).
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you must do an amusement park and you are already in OC do Disney. There are some socal ticket deals.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm sorry to be the one to do this.

Have you considered Tijuana? I hear the donkey shows are fun.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
But claiming that Santa Monica is "too far" when you're willing to drive to Universal Studios....

Oh, and driving to Hollywood/Beverly Hills from Irvine.... about the same as to Santa Monica also. Ditto for Irvine to Getty Museum (LA).
Agree. Equally bad. Google estimates both Irvine to Santa Monica and irvine to universal at 1:40 leaving now.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Agree. Equally bad. Google estimates both Irvine to Santa Monica and irvine to universal at 1:40 leaving now.
She's here from a Tuesday until Sunday. I'll use that Saturday to go to Santa Barbara. Perhaps Wednesday or Thursday afternoon Hollywood.

San Clemente Tuesday.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
What to do with my mom

Huntington Beach if you're working at the refinery anyway? The state park is really nice.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:21 pm

Hook her up with the maid.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She's here from a Tuesday until Sunday. I'll use that Saturday to go to Santa Barbara. Perhaps Wednesday or Thursday afternoon Hollywood.

San Clemente Tuesday.
So you pick her up in la. Go down to irvine. Next day back up to la and back to irvine. Then Saturday. ..very long drive from irvine to santa Barbara. I hope you are spending the night in SB.
You must like to drive.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by corky
So you pick her up in la. Go down to irvine. Next day back up to la and back to irvine. Then Saturday. ..very long drive from irvine to santa Barbara. I hope you are spending the night in SB.
You must like to drive.
I can't do it all in one day. She arrives into lax at 1725 so that day is shot.

I'll figure out something. Probably just do one trip to Hollywood then focus on OC for the remaining time.

Thanks for all the tips.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Either go straight north from LAX, spend some points or money snd spend the night in Santa Barbara and work your way back down *one time* to Irvine or find things to do in OC.

I guess I'm the only one not enthralled with Huntington Beach. The sand is kind of grotty and it's just boring flat beach backed up by a busy highway. So many other beach towns have more charm.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Either go straight north from LAX, spend some points or money snd spend the night in Santa Barbara and work your way back down *one time* to Irvine or find things to do in OC.

I guess I'm the only one not enthralled with Huntington Beach. The sand is kind of grotty and it's just boring flat beach backed up by a busy highway. So many other beach towns have more charm.
I agree about Huntington Beach. ..especially when he lives near laguna.
Could go to dinner in LA after she lands and then get hotel in LA and start the next day already up there.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Nobody suggested the Queen Mary in Long Beach?
Old May 4, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
A day trip to Catalina Island. While there she can take a tour of the iconic round building, and another tour of the wilderness areas of the island.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:55 pm

Take her to a Dodgers game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.