Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Greater LA area: best ice cream, old farmer's market?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Have a week in the LA area coming. Ages back there used to be some great independent ice cream shops in the LA Basin. Are there still? If you want really good ice cream (not fro-yo) where would you go? We're more into gelato and classic ice cream, no tofu-mango-hot pepper for us.

Second part of the question: again, a looooong time back I went to a covered market, mainly produce and "unprepared" foods (meats, dairy, bakeries), and I can't remember the name of it and an online search isn't turning up what I remember. It had been there for a very long time (50+ years then), and the name was not just "Original Farmer's Market" which is what google searches turn up. It was the "_______ Market" - any long time Angelenos know what I'm looking for?

And the bonus question:
Can anyone suggest good tea shops - as in places selling high quality loose tea - in the greater LA and OC area?

Any help you can offer much appreciated.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:03 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Have a week in the LA area coming. Ages back there used to be some great independent ice cream shops in the LA Basin. Are there still? If you want really good ice cream (not fro-yo) where would you go? We're more into gelato and classic ice cream, no tofu-mango-hot pepper for us.
My favorite ice cream is Quenelle in Burbank and San Marino.

Sweet Rose Creamery with locations in Brentwood, Santa Monica and Beverly Blvd. is pretty good too.

Bennett's Ice Cream at the Original Farmers' Market has an excellent reputation, however, I have not had it in a very long time.

Second part of the question: again, a looooong time back I went to a covered market, mainly produce and "unprepared" foods (meats, dairy, bakeries), and I can't remember the name of it and an online search isn't turning up what I remember. It had been there for a very long time (50+ years then), and the name was not just "Original Farmers Market" which is what google searches turn up. It was the "_______ Market" - any long time Angelenos know what I'm looking for?
The only place that I can think of that fits that description is Grand Central Market at 317 South Broadway, Downtown. There happens to be a good ice cream place there, Santa Barbara based McConnell's.

And the bonus question:
Can anyone suggest good tea shops - as in places selling high quality loose tea - in the greater LA and OC area?

Any help you can offer much appreciated.
Sorry, I can't help here; I'm not much of a tea drinker.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:48 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
We discovered Carmela Ice Cream at the South Pasadena farmer's market; they've since opened a shop in NE Pasadena:

http://www.carmelaicecream.com/

It does sound like you are remembering the Grand Central Market at the bottom of Angel's Flight in Downtown LA, unless you can remember another part of town. There are a number of farmer's markets in SoCal throughout the week, though some are larger and have a wider variety of vendors.

Also in Old Town Pasadena is Bird Pick for tea:

http://www.birdpick.com/stores/
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
While in the Pasadena area, also try Fosselman's Ice Cream in Alhambra.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Thank you TrustGuy for mentioning Fossleman's It really is a special place ^

In the Grand Central Market they have opened a branch of McConnel's (http://www.grandcentralmarket.com/ve...fine-ice-cream ) of Santa Barbra. This just might be the best Ice cream in Los Angeles right now- although I love both Fossleman's and Sweet Rose.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thrillist:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.