Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay with family: LA

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Traveling to LA area with family and kids aged 2-8. Will be visiting for 10 days in December. I am planning on just enjoying area but will also visit Disney, universal etc. We will rent a house. What area would you recommend renting the house? Thanks
Old May 27, 2014, 11:08 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by jhbboy
Traveling to LA area with family and kids aged 2-8. Will be visiting for 10 days in December. I am planning on just enjoying area but will also visit Disney, universal etc. We will rent a house. What area would you recommend renting the house? Thanks
Disney is actually in Orange County IIRC, so a bit of a drive.

LA is quite huge if you include all the suburbs, so suggestion for an area would help if we know your budget and preferences.

Oh, and moderator has been notified to move this to the LA subforum.
Old May 28, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
"The LA area" is a bit vague... since its the equivalent of suggesting that you stay somewhere in Belgium or Holland. How about giving a sense of what sort of area/budget/experiences you are looking for...

I might think about a hotel for 3 days in the Anaheim area for Disneyland (Or two nights with the first/last at an airport hotel) with a one week house or short-term apartment rental.

I'd avoid the beach n December...since despite CA's reputation for sun, one can get overcast or partial fog along the coast....and the water will *not* be swimming temperature.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
If you are using Airbnb or VRBO, try searching for units in Santa Monica or "West LA" if you want to be close to LA area tourist attractions and LAX. But keep in mind that the drive to Disneyland is about 1 hour away.

If you want to be closer to Disneyland, try searching in "Orange County" - suggest focusing on Huntington Beach area for close proximity and coast. But keep in mind that the drive to most LA area tourist attraction is at least 1~1.5 hours each way, especially if you leave during rush hours.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by mlshanks
I'd avoid the beach n December...since despite CA's reputation for sun, one can get overcast or partial fog along the coast....and the water will *not* be swimming temperature.
This is true, but there is something to be said for just being near the ocean.

That said, I enjoyed a perfectly lovely beach day with my family last Boxing Day. Honestly, it could have easily been a late spring/early summer day at the beach ... just with really cold water. It wouldn't go assuming that I'd get that kind of weather, but it's not unusual.
Old May 29, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Very helpful. I think we will do a few days in Santa Monica area and a few days closer to Disney
Old May 29, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Actually, December offers some of our loveliest weather. We've been encouraging our out-of-town visitors to come during the winter for years. Fog nearly always burns off by late morning, and coastal overcast is far more likely in spring through early summer. It can get a bit chilly in December, especially at night, but you'll generally see our bluest skies.

It's a perfect time to visit the amusement parks, especially if you avoid the dates right around Christmas and new year.

As far as water temp goes, the Pacific Ocean is always cold, even when it's "warm"

Have a great time!
Old May 30, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you go to Disney I suggest staying at 1 of the 3 properties located on the actual park. They are fun and you can get early admission to Disneyland on some days and it is nice to have a place to crash with the kids mid day if you need to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.