Construction in Front of LAX Terminal 4 Seriously Delaying AM Departure Traffic

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Construction in Front of LAX Terminal 4 Seriously Delaying AM Departure Traffic

Went thru LAX this AM (17 December 2012 @ 6 AM). Our shuttle going around the departure level was seriously delayed due to what ended up beng a left lane closure in front of Terminal 4 (AA) so that the upper deck traffic was backed up back to Terminal 1.

While the ParkOne shuttle driver took the rightmost lane and/or curbside lane past Terminals 1 and 2 whereever he could, the slow/stopped traffic made what should have been a 5-10 minute cycle to get around the upper deck to Terminal 6/7 to something like 25+ minutes.

Traffic did finally clear in front of Terminal 5 just after the light. While I made it to my flight, others were hopping off the shuttle and running for it.

Just a heads up if you're running late @ LAX.

David
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Went thru LAX this AM (17 December 2012 @ 6 AM). Our shuttle going around the departure level was seriously delayed due to what ended up beng a left lane closure in front of Terminal 4 (AA) so that the upper deck traffic was backed up back to Terminal 1.

While the ParkOne shuttle driver took the rightmost lane and/or curbside lane past Terminals 1 and 2 whereever he could, the slow/stopped traffic made what should have been a 5-10 minute cycle to get around the upper deck to Terminal 6/7 to something like 25+ minutes.

Traffic did finally clear in front of Terminal 5 just after the light. While I made it to my flight, others were hopping off the shuttle and running for it.

Just a heads up if you're running late @ LAX.

David
Thanks for the heads up. Was this a construction closure? Did it look like it was going to be ongoing for several days?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Thanks for the heads up. Was this a construction closure? Did it look like it was going to be ongoing for several days?
At the time we went by, not specifically. However, others who have gone through during the afternoon have reported bad backups on the upper deck even just trying to get into Terminal 1. Whether it is primarily holiday heavy or being really affected by the Terminal 3/Bradley International Terminal and all other construction remains to be seen.

I was supposed to drop someone from work off earlier on Thursday late afternoon at LAX and had hoped to check on what was going on at that time - until my wife called and told me to get home since the designer was bringing drawings and feedback from the structural engineer. Ah well.

David
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by DELee
At the time we went by, not specifically. However, others who have gone through during the afternoon have reported bad backups on the upper deck even just trying to get into Terminal 1. Whether it is primarily holiday heavy or being really affected by the Terminal 3/Bradley International Terminal and all other construction remains to be seen.

I was supposed to drop someone from work off earlier on Thursday late afternoon at LAX and had hoped to check on what was going on at that time - until my wife called and told me to get home since the designer was bringing drawings and feedback from the structural engineer. Ah well.

David
I just went through in mid-afternoon to late-afternoon on the 19th, and there was no traffic, so it must have passed.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It might be sporadic but the last few times I went through, the upper deck had some slowness in front of TBIT. All the construction walls either has actually pushed people into a smaller space or just given that appearance. As we all know from nonsensical freeway bottlenecks, anything slightly of the norm seems to slow drivers down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.