Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to figure out what to do in Pasadena and other things

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iapetus
What sort of restaurant would you like? There are many great restaurants in Pasadena, California. Do you need it to be in Old Town? Near Old Town? Anywhere in Pasadena?
Good American cuisine. Doesn't need to be in Old Town but it wouldn't hurt. Outdoor seating/patio would be great.

I'd be happy to offer some suggestions of my own, but I could use some guidance in terms of cuisine, cost, ambiance and other factors that you'd consider important.
American cuisine....food must be good and not bad. Cost no more than 30 per person including the tip. Ambiance so should be fair...maybe a nice diner or a place that has outdoor seating.

I was looking on Trip Advisor and Russell's has a lot of good reviews. Has anyone eaten there?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Playboy
American cuisine....food must be good and not bad. Cost no more than 30 per person including the tip. Ambiance so should be fair...maybe a nice diner or a place that has outdoor seating.

I was looking on Trip Advisor and Russell's has a lot of good reviews. Has anyone eaten there?
Russell's? Meh. Somewhat like Burger Continental, I think this restaurant is popular more because of the sentimental value people attach to it rather than the quality of the food. That said, I also think it's a good bit better than Burger Continental.

One of the problems with dining in Old Town is that the rents are so high, that most restaurants survive by going high-end.

I'm sure that there are people who don't like any of the following, but, given your preferences and constraints, I would recommend the following:

• La Grande Orange Café - The food here is really good. And, not that it's relevant for you, they have pretty good happy hour specials, IIRC. It's not exactly in Old Town, but it's really close. It's just two blocks south of Lucky Baldwin's. Parking is pretty much non-existent, but the valet is free.

• Barney's - This is in the heart of Old Town. If one were considering Russell's, I'd probably just as soon go here.

• Smitty's - The food here is excellent. And I would highly recommend what is, IMO, a quintessential Pasadena restaurant. But it's over on Lake Street, about a mile east of Old Town. There is street parking, but not much. However, I believe the valet is also free (the valet station is at the rear of the restaurant). All-in, lunch should cost you close to your maximum, but it's worth it.

• Green Street Cafe - This is near Smitty's, just off Lake. Parking is in the adjacent structure. (I'm ~80% certain that they validate.) The food is just about on a par with Smitty's, though I'm sure others would beg to differ.

• Green Street Tavern - You might also consider this place. It's in Old Town. I really love this restaurant for its food and its ambiance. And the owner is really, really nice. Given your price considerations, I almost didn't recommend this, but a quick look at the lunch menu suggests that, like Smitty's, you just might be able to get out for $30 per person all-in.

Houston's is also a great restaurant. It's not far from la Grande Orange, but it's definitely more than you want to spend, as is the Parkway Grill. All of the restaurants for which I have provided links have outdoor seating with the exceptions of Barney's and the Green Street Tavern.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Russell's? Meh. Somewhat like Burger Continental, I think this restaurant is popular more because of the sentimental value people attach to it rather than the quality of the food. That said, I also think it's a good bit better than Burger Continental.

One of the problems with dining in Old Town is that the rents are so high, that most restaurants survive by going high-end.

I'm sure that there are people who don't like any of the following, but, given your preferences and constraints, I would recommend the following:

• La Grande Orange Café - The food here is really good. And, not that it's relevant for you, they have pretty good happy hour specials, IIRC. It's not exactly in Old Town, but it's really close. It's just two blocks south of Lucky Baldwin's. Parking is pretty much non-existent, but the valet is free.

• Barney's - This is in the heart of Old Town. If one were considering Russell's, I'd probably just as soon go here.

• Smitty's - The food here is excellent. And I would highly recommend what is, IMO, a quintessential Pasadena restaurant. But it's over on Lake Street, about a mile east of Old Town. There is street parking, but not much. However, I believe the valet is also free (the valet station is at the rear of the restaurant). All-in, lunch should cost you close to your maximum, but it's worth it.

• Green Street Cafe - This is near Smitty's, just off Lake. Parking is in the adjacent structure. (I'm ~80% certain that they validate.) The food is just about on a par with Smitty's, though I'm sure others would beg to differ.

• Green Street Tavern - You might also consider this place. It's in Old Town. I really love this restaurant for its food and its ambiance. And the owner is really, really nice. Given your price considerations, I almost didn't recommend this, but a quick look at the lunch menu suggests that, like Smitty's, you just might be able to get out for $30 per person all-in.

Houston's is also a great restaurant. It's not far from la Grande Orange, but it's definitely more than you want to spend, as is the Parkway Grill. All of the restaurants for which I have provided links have outdoor seating with the exceptions of Barney's and the Green Street Tavern.
Thanks buddy. After looking at all of the menus, I'm going to go with Green Street Restaurant/Cafe. The menu appears to have something for everyone.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After looking at all of the menus, I'm going to go with Green Street Restaurant/Cafe.
If you do wind up going there, make sure someone gets an entree that comes with the free zucchini bread! So delicious!

Thanks buddy.
Hey, gotta represent Pasadena, California!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:56 am

Green Street Cafe - This is near Smitty's, just off Lake. Parking is in the adjacent structure. (I'm ~80% certain that they validate.) The food is just about on a par with Smitty's, though I'm sure others would beg to differ
i'm pretty sure they don't validate, but the open lot across the street has 2 hour free parking. and definitely get the zucchini bread.

i'm surprised no one mentioned pie'n'burger, a pasadena staple (speaking of burgers, i don't think i saw anyone here mention that "burger continental" is not a burger joint). not sure if necessarily qualifies as "good" food, though. i'm also partial to lucky boy's pastrami burgers, if your arteries can take it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Good American cuisine. Doesn't need to be in Old Town but it wouldn't hurt. Outdoor seating/patio would be great.

TA is wrong place for food advice by reviews usually. Look at Chowhound or even Yelp.

Russell's is okay for burgers, Jake's and Lucky Baldwin's are better for burgers.

Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana is the hottest thing to hit Pasadena in years, not sure how you missed it iapetus. It is the highly acclaimed pizzeria from Las Vegas and Salt Lake City from former USC quarterback Brad Otton. The big splash in part was due the success of the restaurant and in part to the huge Trojan presence in Pasadena and the SGV.

Cafe Santorini has good food, not great, but I think one of the best settings in Pasadena. McCormick & Schmick's has nice food, not great, and nice out door seating. Love Houston's too. It is another solid choice.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing
i'm pretty sure they don't validate, but the open lot across the street has 2 hour free parking. and definitely get the zucchini bread.
I know that the Counter next door validates for one hour, which is why I thought the Green Street Cafe might.

Originally Posted by crabbing
i'm surprised no one mentioned pie'n'burger, a pasadena staple (speaking of burgers, i don't think i saw anyone here mention that "burger continental" is not a burger joint). not sure if necessarily qualifies as "good" food, though. i'm also partial to lucky boy's pastrami burgers, if your arteries can take it.
I think Lucky Boy's and Pie 'N' Burger are both sentimental favorites in much the same vein as Burger Continental. If you can't get sentimental about it, I'm not sure it tastes quite as good.

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
Settebello Pizzeria Napoletana is the hottest thing to hit Pasadena in years, not sure how you missed it iapetus. It is the highly acclaimed pizzeria from Las Vegas and Salt Lake City from former USC quarterback Brad Otton. The big splash in part was due the success of the restaurant and in part to the huge Trojan presence in Pasadena and the SGV.
I think we missed it because we just don't make it to that stretch of Colorado all that often. But thanks for bringing this to my attention! Sounds awesome! I've definitely got a new restaurant at the top of my list to try out. (I'm just going to have to turn a blind eye to any references to the Trojans. )

Cafe Santorini has good food, not great, but I think one of the best settings in Pasadena. McCormick & Schmick's has nice food, not great, and nice out door seating.
I agree with your comments about the settings at both places. ^
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
McCormick & Schmick's has nice food, not great, and nice out door seating. Love Houston's too. It is another solid choice.
Both are mediocre national chains. When I travel, I like to try new things, so I eat at local establishments.

I think Lucky Boy's and Pie 'N' Burger are both sentimental favorites in much the same vein as Burger Continental.
I am sorry to read of the decline of Burger Continental.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Both are mediocre national chains. When I travel, I like to try new things, so I eat at local establishments.
The thread is trying to help Playboy find places to eat. He has asked for good and outdoor seating. Houston's and McCormick's are both good national chains, well above mediocre.

And sorry, but anyone who recommends Pink's and Burger Continental has no room to crack about "mediocre".
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

And sorry, but anyone who recommends Pink's and Burger Continental has no room to crack about "mediocre".
Pink's is a Hollywood institution, it's a unique experience. It is not just about the food.

Burger Continental used to serve fairly good Middle Eastern food. I was sad to read of its decline. Again, it is a type of place that is not found in every large metropolitan area.

When I travel, I like to try new places; why would I want to choose restaurants that are found where I live?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:02 pm

Pink's is a Hollywood institution, it's a unique experience. It is not just about the food.

Burger Continental used to serve fairly good Middle Eastern food. I was sad to read of its decline. Again, it is a type of place that is not found in every large metropolitan area.

When I travel, I like to try new places; why would I want to choose restaurants that are found where I live?
But the question was asked by Playboy and the answers were directed to him.

If you want restaurants to go to, start a new thread.

All Burger Continental ever had was scantily clad waitresses.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:19 pm

But the question was asked by Playboy and the answers were directed to him.
If the OP was interested in restaurants also found in Florida, he probably would not have posted his question here.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Green Street Tavern - You might also consider this place. It's in Old Town. I really love this restaurant for its food and its ambiance. And the owner is really, really nice. Given your price considerations, I almost didn't recommend this, but a quick look at the lunch menu suggests that, like Smitty's, you just might be able to get out for $30 per person all-in.
Thank you, iapetus!

Staying in Pasadena for just one day, Green Street Tavern was a great choice. Three-course menus for $35, absolutely delicious. ^^^
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:36 pm

If the OP was interested in restaurants also found in Florida, he probably would not have posted his question here.
Nothing in his requests for restaurants asked to skip chains, he asked for "good American food" and "outdoors".

For all you know McCormick's is his favorite restaurant and he didn't know they had a Pasadena location.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
I hike up in Griffith Park at least once a week. I don't know how to compare it to where you are talking about but there are some great fun hikes. When you go to LA Live go to the Los Angeles Visitors Bureau on Figueroa just a few blocks away from LA Live and pick up a Griffith Park free map.

There are short hikes (3 miles) and longer ones. Some more difficult than others. Most about 1,000 elevation gain. If you PM me I can give you more answers.

I live in near LA Live so if you have any questions about places to see around Downtown let me know too.

Last edited by wingless; Apr 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.