Is LAX becoming a black hole?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LAX becoming a black hole?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by haddon90
uh, LAX is not close to downtown. BUR is closer. ORD is the same distance to downtown chicago. and LGA? easy trip to midtown. LAX is actually one of the least convenient airports in the US in terms of public transportation. same with DEN (but at least DEN is a way nicer airport)
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
LAX does have the most aircraft movement in the world. That probably means, they're constantly rearranging plane positions to accommodate other planes.

When I landed into LAX this Monday, we were getting in to 47A. As we neared the terminal, we turned left (landed on 24L) and started heading away from T4. I thought that we were going to go to the remote terminals, which would have been terrible! Fortunately, we were just moving around to make space for other planes leaving the alley. We turned around again and made it back to 47A. So LAX's ability to handle aircraft is probably true, but it's not in the most elegant way.
My experiences with LAX is as standard as the ever changing weather here in YYC..

Like the last time we landed.. we boarded a bus to go to Customs.. and waited 3 hours.. gimme a break..

The fact that LAX parralel parks their planes says something about what they do on a daily basis to achieve the amount of air traffic that they do.. and why LAX never has time for renos..
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
  1. It's a police state. You always see airport cops giving tickets. I've gotten several (!!) myself, including jay walking.
Well considering I saw a woman get hit by one of those shuttle vans, I can't fault them for issuing jaywalking tickets.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Well considering I saw a woman get hit by one of those shuttle vans, I can't fault them for issuing jaywalking tickets.
Sometimes if we understand why tickets are issue, in hindsight we can appreciate a reduction in accidents..

If tickets are revenue driven, then I agree.. its' the wrong motivation to hand out tickets..
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Sometimes if we understand why tickets are issue, in hindsight we can appreciate a reduction in accidents..

If tickets are revenue driven, then I agree.. its' the wrong motivation to hand out tickets..
I don't think the concept of tickets is either an A, B or C issue. It's more of an "All of the above" issue. Sure there is a revenue motive to issuing tickets, but they also serve a punitive and preventative purpose as well.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:07 pm
Suspended

I don't think the concept of tickets is either an A, B or C issue. It's more of an "All of the above" issue. Sure there is a revenue motive to issuing tickets, but they also serve a punitive and preventative purpose as well.
I agree the issues are not mutually exclusive..

But the perception in the public minds are.. my point is that better communication will lessen opposition to the issuance of tickets..
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
My experiences with LAX is as standard as the ever changing weather here in YYC..

Like the last time we landed.. we boarded a bus to go to Customs.. and waited 3 hours.. gimme a break..

The fact that LAX parralel parks their planes says something about what they do on a daily basis to achieve the amount of air traffic that they do.. and why LAX never has time for renos..

Honestly, do you think you have beat that horse enough?

Yes, we understand you had a terrible experience on a flight back from CUN.

Landing at the remotes is NOT a usual experience for most international passengers. A 3 hour transfer through immigrations/customs is NOT the usual amount of time needed.

Very difficult to judge life in general, in a vacuum.

HP
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HighPotter
Honestly, do you think you have beat that horse enough?

Yes, we understand you had a terrible experience on a flight back from CUN.

Landing at the remotes is NOT a usual experience for most international passengers. A 3 hour transfer through immigrations/customs is NOT the usual amount of time needed.

Very difficult to judge life in general, in a vacuum.

HP
I was confused at LAX customs because many of the staff members that I spoke to said that this was the usual every day, all day..

If you're saying its not, then what is the usual? A regular landing going through customs within the actual terminal where landed?..

I'm not sure where we landed, but if its a remote tower, certainly that was not expected..
Old Aug 30, 2011, 4:08 am

I agree the issues are not mutually exclusive..

But the perception in the public minds are.. my point is that better communication will lessen opposition to the issuance of tickets..
Most people in the public rarely look at an issue beyond a superficial level of comprehension so one can not put to much effort into changing public perception.

Personally, I say issue as many tickets as required, especially if some of that money can go to the airport. Let the idiots contribute to airport improvements.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Most people in the public rarely look at an issue beyond a superficial level of comprehension so one can not put to much effort into changing public perception.

Personally, I say issue as many tickets as required, especially if some of that money can go to the airport. Let the idiots contribute to airport improvements.
Agreed.. the factor of anger plays a key to perception..

Since the natural reaction is anger when receiving a ticket.. and a welling up of emotions inside.. sometimes justifying ill will towards the officer handing you the ticket.. I suppose education of perception will be minimally effective at ticket issuance level..

Our local police has put out some effective advertising campaigns addressing the importance of law abidance.. I know its a hit to the budget, but its greatly appreciative that there is some forewarning to ticketing issuance possibilities, and the background in which and why laws are being enforced..
Old Aug 31, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
As someone who lives on the westside of LA and religiously flies UA (taking advantage of elite security at T6) I find LAX to be an amazingly convenient airport. Like the rest of LA, a great place to live but a horrible place to visit...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Whenever I walk through LAX (usually in terminals 6-8), I feel like I'm in a time warp, back to 1980 or so. The whole look and the Muzak they play.

For such an international city with great food options, I find the food options at LAX to be amazingly poor, and with few (any?) actual sit-down restaurants.

As far as major U.S. airports, I'd say LAX is competitive with IAD...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by paullevi
As someone who lives on the westside of LA and religiously flies UA (taking advantage of elite security at T6) I find LAX to be an amazingly convenient airport. Like the rest of LA, a great place to live but a horrible place to visit...
I agree. I also live on the westside, and getting to the airport is fairly convenient most days and times (if I drive). Not so much with public transport, but it is available when I don't want to park my car. I do admit that I am also fond of the trains and subways that go straight into other airports, and I wish LAX had something similar, preferably from north of the airport.

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
Whenever I walk through LAX (usually in terminals 6-8), I feel like I'm in a time warp, back to 1980 or so. The whole look and the Muzak they play.

For such an international city with great food options, I find the food options at LAX to be amazingly poor, and with few (any?) actual sit-down restaurants.

I can't complain about LAX's flights. They have enough of them that I don't really feel like there's a drought. I fly AA and the frequencies are abundant, and since I'm willing to connect via DFW, there are a ton of options for LAX-DFW (16 times a day) that I can hit most connections out of DFW.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AlanInDC

I guess LAX is so busy, they don't have time and can't afford to shut down for a reno..

I agree, it seems 70s 80s ish.. Would be nice for more up to date food choices..
Old Sep 19, 2011, 9:14 pm

I guess LAX is so busy, they don't have time and can't afford to shut down for a reno..

I agree, it seems 70s 80s ish.. Would be nice for more up to date food choices..
But they are renovating TBIT right now. And they have temporarily shut down some gates in T4 to accommodate or something.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 2:08 am

They don't have to shutdown the entire airport. The renovation that will happen will occur in phases. The central terminal, TBIT, transportation center, rental car facility, and midfield concourse will be built without disrupting airport operations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.