Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings) in LA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:21 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Best Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings) in LA

So... resident experts of all LA things Chinese... where do I go to get the best Xiao Long Bao's in Los Angeles....?????

Please tell me where I have to go... dont mind a hole in the wall place, dont need a fancy setting, I just want the best XBL's in town.

Thanks,
Alex / Gaucho100K
Old Jun 12, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Just sent you a PM.

Last edited by ktjan; Jun 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm Reason: Please delete
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
http://www.yelp.com/biz/din-tai-fung...g%20tAi%20feng

Din Tai Fung is located in Arcadia about 30 miles east of Downtown and should be about 1 hour drive from your hotel near LAX
Old Jun 12, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan
Just sent you a PM.
Is this a secret?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ktjan
Just sent you a PM.
Didnt get a message.....
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tastes differ - I personally felt Din Tai Fung here in LA was just OK and not worth the wait (but i never tried other locations).

While i can't say about "the best" in LA a great bet is a trio of places side by side in a plaza in San Gabriel next to Hilton. We usually go to MeiLong Village (as they pack some frozen stuff on ice for us to take home) but the other two are just as good.

1. J & J / Jin Jian Restaurant

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776

2. Mei Long Village

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-4769

3. Happy Kitchen

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-2619
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by azepine00
Tastes differ - I personally felt Din Tai Fung here in LA was just OK and not worth the wait (but i never tried other locations).
do you know there's a back dining room w/ a wait that's usually a lot shorter?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:02 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
+1 ^

While i can't say about "the best" in LA a great bet is a trio of places side by side in a plaza in San Gabriel next to Hilton. We usually go to MeiLong Village (as they pack some frozen stuff on ice for us to take home)
Emphatic +1 ^^^
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:27 am
Original Poster

While i can't say about "the best" in LA a great bet is a trio of places side by side in a plaza in San Gabriel next to Hilton. We usually go to MeiLong Village (as they pack some frozen stuff on ice for us to take home) but the other two are just as good.

1. J & J / Jin Jian Restaurant

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776

2. Mei Long Village

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-4769

3. Happy Kitchen

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-2619
Thank you kindly, these are a little closer from where Im staying (Century City). Mapquest puts the drive to the places in San Gabriel at 23 miles from my hotel on West Olympic Blvd.... and the Din Tai Fung is 29 miles. Both destinations are on the same route, seems like the best way is to get on I10, and head East, or...?

So traffic is an issue in LAX, so Im guessing I may go direct to one of these places after I land in LAX as I guess its out of my way to go to the hotel in Century City and I cant be sure they will allow me to have an early check in.

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Jun 14, 2011 at 11:43 am
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Thank you kindly, these are a little closer from where Im staying (Century City). Mapquest puts the drive to the places in San Gabriel at 23 miles from my hotel on West Olympic Blvd.... and the Din Tai Fung is 29 miles. Both destinations are on the same route, seems like the best way is to get on I10, and head East, or...?

So traffic is an issue in LAX, so Im guessing I may go direct to one of these places after I land in LAX as I guess its out of my way to go to the hotel in Century City and I cant be sure they will allow me to have an early check in.
These places are at least 50 minutes from LAX.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
These places are at least 50 minutes from LAX.
OK... so if I budget 1 hour from LAX on a Thursday morning... I will be good, or...? Also, the San Gabriel locations are 7 or so miles closer... unless Im not reading mapquest properly.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
San Gabriel locations would be I-10 West, exit Del Mar Avenue and then head north about .5 miles to Valley and make a left (the large Hawaii Supermarket will be on your right). Head west on Valley, past the Hilton (which you cannot miss) and then look for the strip mall on your right.

If you look at a freeway map of Downtown LA, you'll note that the 10 goes through the East LA interchange which can get a little tricky; pay attention to the highway signs carefully.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
OK... so if I budget 1 hour from LAX on a Thursday morning... I will be good, or...? Also, the San Gabriel locations are 7 or so miles closer... unless Im not reading mapquest properly.
Yeah. That could work, but just be flexible with your schedule. As long as there's no rush to be anywhere, I say go with the flow (pun intended).
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
San Gabriel locations would be I-10 West, exit Del Mar Avenue and then head north about .5 miles to Valley and make a left (the large Hawaii Supermarket will be on your right). Head west on Valley, past the Hilton (which you cannot miss) and then look for the strip mall on your right.

If you look at a freeway map of Downtown LA, you'll note that the 10 goes through the East LA interchange which can get a little tricky; pay attention to the highway signs carefully.
Thanks... I will have Never Lost in my rental car so I hope Im not dumb enough to get lost...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:34 pm

We were turned on to Din Tai Fung by an expat friend who was living in Shanghai. Since then, we have been to other DTF's : consistent quality product! Last place we visited was in Sydney, Australia, ... correction, it was Beijing, October 2010. --I look forward to visiting Arcadia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.