Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad is LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
How bad is LAX?

Yes it's me again.

Yes we're planning on another Southern Cali adventure this summer.

So gotten some decent Air Canada fares right now from YEG to LAX.

So my question: how bad is LAX? I've heard horror stories, and with two kids (1 and soon to be 6), I don't want to put undue stress on the whole travel bit.

I'd want to rent a vehicle to. LAX a good choice?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I fly in there a lot, its not so bad. However try the surrounding airports as well. Many times cheaper and smaller crowds.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *E/PC Gold /BW Diamond/Hertz Gold Plus/SPG Gold/Marriot Silver/ TUMI Alpha
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
I fly in there a lot, its not so bad. However try the surrounding airports as well. Many times cheaper and smaller crowds.
Yes I tried Bob Hope and Orange Country. Surprisingly very $$$ for some reason.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Hilton Gold, SPG lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Maker's Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by morphius909
Yes it's me again.

Yes we're planning on another Southern Cali adventure this summer.

So gotten some decent Air Canada fares right now from YEG to LAX.

So my question: how bad is LAX? I've heard horror stories, and with two kids (1 and soon to be 6), I don't want to put undue stress on the whole travel bit.

I'd want to rent a vehicle to. LAX a good choice?
Compared to YEG, its a nightmare. But thats compared to YEG. LAX isn't that bad - maybe think of something like YYZ for a point of refernce. Both have off-site car rentals, so you need to take a shuttle bus, but it isn't that bad, and not that stressful, at least for me. Having said that, SNA is a far far better option. Much easier to get into / out of. Less crazy. Short lines. SNA is one of my favourite airports, and if I need to be in the south part of LA, my choice.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a large airport with all associated pluses and minuses. The bad part is the age so the infrastructure inside is less than stellar.
What "horror stories" are you referring to?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
At SNA there are no buses to Major Car Rental stalls. Just a short walk if you use the right car rental companies.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
I fly out of LAX exclusively (my parents live 2 miles from LAX, and the fares are almost always cheaper than flying out of one of the other airports, especially not by a difference to make up a difference in transportation cost to the airport).

As a destination/origination airport, it's not that bad. It's not the best, but it generally does fine. You need to leave some additional time for security and getting to/from the airport. All rental cars require a shuttle to an off-site facility, so it takes longer, but it generally works.

Most of the complaints I see are making connections at LAX (especially if it involves leaving security and re-entering), and a relatively lack of food options. Also sometimes about the "look" of the airport (areas that look old and dirty). In general (at least in the domestic terminals, I can't speak for TBIT), it is reasonably well kept, and generally runs just fine.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
LAX is great O&D airport. It's horrendous as a transfer/connecting airport.

If your trip begins and ends in LAX, it is one of the best large airport in North America. There is plentiful flights, great frequencies, and most terminals have easy curb side access. Security lines are generally manageable and and despite internet rants, LAX has fairly decent public transit access. (the problem is people in LA don't like to live near rail or bus lines so the blame should start with themselves... anyway, a different topic)

If you are connecting, it is an exercise in anger management. None of the terminals connect, there is no airside bus or tram, in-terminal dining option is pathetic, and some of the VIP lounges are spartan even by Soviet-era East European bus depot standards. There are no free wi-fi (barbaric!!! ) and very little plane spotting opportunity without leaving the secured area.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
If you just want Southern California and are looking at alternatives to LAX, don't forget to check ONT. That one is my favorite LA-area airport.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bzcat
None of the terminals connect, there is no airside bus or tram. There are no free wi-fi (barbaric!!! )
Terminals 5-8 are connected (Terminal 4 is physically connected to 5, but the tunnel is currently closed, although that may change when Alaska moves to 6.

Also, there is an airside bus connecting 3 & 5 to American Eagle, which is connected to 4, but from what I've heard it's not the most timely method of transfer between 3 & 4 or 5 (but it is allowed to facilitate transfers between Alaska and American or Delta).

There is almost no free wi-fi, most of the premium lounges have free wi-fi (which I know from experience using the Alaska BoardRoom, Delta SkyClub, and the CO President's Club). For the rest, Boingo is a reasonable option, as all of LAX is included in the $10 per month cost.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Great info guys (and girls!?)

Booked YEG-LAX for me, wife,and two little ones for early July.

5TH trip to Cali in 3 years. Can't wait
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold

You should be fine the air canada terminal is relatively friendly and you won't be fighting the lines at Southwest (T1). Enjoy the trip where are you taking the fam once you are on the ground? I might recommend santa monica it's very close to LAX by LA standards. And there is a beach.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 9:20 am

LAX is not that bad. I'm there every week. It is bustling, though, but that shouldn't really bother most people unless they're easily stressed.

If you've been here to Cali four times already, I'm sure you've stopped by LAX and know what it's like.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
LAX is not that bad. I'm there every week. It is bustling, though, but that shouldn't really bother most people unless they're easily stressed.

If you've been here to Cali four times already, I'm sure you've stopped by LAX and know what it's like.
Have flown into San Diego and driven 3x other times down the coast from Edmonton so never had the pleasure (smirk) of the LAX experience.

Sounds like any other large airport. If we can zip thru Pearson in Toronto and Heathrow in London, LAX should be a breeze.

Not sure where we will stay. We have family in Malibu and the valley. Plus we want a couple of days in San Diego. So probably all over the place. Just want to relax for the 11 days we are there (minus 1 day for Indiana Jones at Disney, 1 day for Outlet Shopping)l
Old Feb 24, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ironically I feel the same when i book LAX-YEG to go to Jasper. I would pick LAX in winter though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.