Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Flight path change at SNA today? (28 Sept 2010)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Does anyone know why the flight paths changed today over SNA? I travel here frequently for business and the planes were flying east-west instead of north-south like they normally do.

It's cloudy today, but it's been cloudy here before and the planes didn't fly at a 90 degree angle.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is the first sign of the apocalypse.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Flight paths are based on wind direction. Runways are built in the direction of prevailing winds but every now and then the winds will be at a different directions. When that happens planes will take-off/land on the alternate runways, assuming such exist.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by black dawn
Does anyone know why the flight paths changed today over SNA? I travel here frequently for business and the planes were flying east-west instead of north-south like they normally do.

It's cloudy today, but it's been cloudy here before and the planes didn't fly at a 90 degree angle.
Airline and flight number?

I checked a few inbound flights coming in from the east and they all used the usual KAYOH4 arrival into SNA. Or are you talking about flights overflying SNA?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El Cochinito
Airline and flight number?

I checked a few inbound flights coming in from the east and they all used the usual KAYOH4 arrival into SNA. Or are you talking about flights overflying SNA?
The first one I noticed was a Hawaiian Airlines plane, but I don't know the flight number. When I went outside for lunch today, I didn't see any weird flight paths.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
SNA does not have any Hawaiian Airlines scheduled flights????
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT California Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: QF Silver
sbm is right, the landing patterns can change due to the prevailing winds. SNA's runways are aligned to 194 degrees magnetic (or 14 degrees if you take off in the opposite direction). 90+% of the time the prevailing wind is coming from the ocean so planes will be taking off towards Newport on the 194 degree course. During Santa Ana wind conditions they reverse the traffic so planes will take off towards Orange.

Note that there is is only one runway so there are no direct "east-west" takeoffs or landings.

When they run the occasional reverse pattern it's fun to listen to ATC and pilots as they both can be a bit rusty..."American XXX clear to land runway 19 right, uh correction 1 left". What makes it even more fun is that the reverse pattern does not have an ILS approach forcing pilots to set up the approach and land using only the visual.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zarf4
sbm is right, the landing patterns can change due to the prevailing winds. SNA's runways are aligned to 194 degrees magnetic (or 14 degrees if you take off in the opposite direction). 90+% of the time the prevailing wind is coming from the ocean so planes will be taking off towards Newport on the 194 degree course. During Santa Ana wind conditions they reverse the traffic so planes will take off towards Orange.

Note that there is is only one runway so there are no direct "east-west" takeoffs or landings.

When they run the occasional reverse pattern it's fun to listen to ATC and pilots as they both can be a bit rusty..."American XXX clear to land runway 19 right, uh correction 1 left". What makes it even more fun is that the reverse pattern does not have an ILS approach forcing pilots to set up the approach and land using only the visual.
Thanks for the info!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1st Cav Vet
SNA does not have any Hawaiian Airlines scheduled flights????
Oh, it might have been FedEx. They look similar.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by black dawn
Oh, it might have been FedEx. They look similar.
You'd know the difference if you were inside. The seating is very much different.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skoenig
You'd know the difference if you were inside. The seating is very much different.
lol
Old Oct 3, 2010, 5:05 am

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
On those rare occasions when there is severe weather here, and we have had a few days of scattered thundershowers, the ambient wind direction changes, and you might see LAX use 6 L/R and 7 L/R instead of 24 L/R and 25 L/R; LGB might use 12 instead of 30; and SNA might use 01 R instead of 19 L.

OP is correct in that clouds over LA are almost never an indicator of rain or severe weather.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by mbstone
SNA might use 01 R instead of 19 L.
Would be a pretty exciting ride if you're in a B757...

1R/19L = 2900'
1L/19R = 5700'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.