has the End arrived?

Old Aug 30, 05, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

has the End arrived?

I was overseas for most of Aug, the last time I spoke with Marissa she said I should be getting my Sept tkts ( 1 of 5 trips) by the time I get back.

Nothing ever came. And yesterday and today whenevr I call up theres a message that the Office is Closed due to Hurricane Katrina. I have a number of friends living all around the FFl-MIA area and they are all back at work and said its as if nothing happened! Is GP using this as a means of Not having to take our calls or much worse simply have closed shop?
Old Aug 30, 05, 10:46 am

I am in the same situation as craz. E-mailed, faxed and called in all reservation and cc details. After last communication in the middle of July I exptected my tix to be issued by now, but have received nothing.

Further, I am completely confused about some others posting that travel in 2006 was not acceptable anymore. Yet, it is my understanding there are quite a few folks holding reservations into next year. Given that, there seem to be have been little reaction to the latest news.
Old Aug 30, 05, 12:12 pm

Programs: United 1K
I know there were one or two days in the last year when they didn't answer the phone during a work day.
Old Aug 30, 05, 7:43 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, LatinPass Million Miler
I also tried calling GP today only to hear a recording that they are closed because of Katrina. I want to be assured that our tickets to Argentina for a November trip that were confirmed back in March of this year, will indeed be a reality before we buy non-refundable tickets for several flights in Argentina, for a cost of more than $2000.

I also have 2 trips planned for 2006 and the last few months have certainly been an emotional rollercoaster.

Tickets: yes
Tickets: no
Tickets: yes
Tickets: not during 2006

I'm almost too tired to fight...but not quite.
Old Aug 30, 05, 11:17 pm

Programs: AAEXP; SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Real GP problems

In addition to the avoiding calls and emails, they have the Florida Attorney General to worry about as, rumor has it, is investigating the credit card charges that seem to have come out of GP....

GP, it seems, has serious problems on their hands....

Class-action lawsuit, anyone? (that is, if it isn't all gone already)
Old Aug 31, 05, 7:35 am

Programs: AA,AC,AS,BA,CI,CP,CO,DL,HP,NW,UA,US -Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Globalpass
Any exuse in a storm will do

While it is prudent to take the interests and well being of its employees in mind in light of severe weather one has to wonder here as I read the posts above which were made yesterday [Aug 30]...the then Cat 1 or sub Cat 1 Hurricane Katrina hit Miami on Thursday 25 August - that was last week.
Old Sep 1, 05, 7:15 am

GP has posted this notice on their home page:

Urgent Notification

Due to hurricane Katrina, our Call Center is presently inoperative from the lack of electricity. Please communicate with the Customer Care Center through My Messages and avoid eMail SPAM and store all your messages with GlobalPass within GlobalPass. You may also communicate with us via email at [email protected]. Thank you.
Old Sep 1, 05, 8:16 am

Programs: United 1K
Great news they are "still in business" and thanks for the update.
Old Sep 1, 05, 9:02 am

Nobody else in Miami has lost power. This is pure bull----!
Old Sep 1, 05, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cygone
Nobody else in Miami has lost power...!
Huh? Where have you been? There were massive power outages in South Florida last week. Most, but not all power has been restored as of this morning. An article posted by the Miami Herald today says less than 1% remain without power, but also says the goal is to have everyone in Miami re-powered by tomorrow.

I'm no appoligist for GP, but it is quite possible that GP is currently without power or at least that they were when they posted the notice.
Old Sep 1, 05, 9:55 am

Programs: AA,AC,AS,BA,CI,CP,CO,DL,HP,NW,UA,US -Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Globalpass
The lights are on elsewhere in the building

Checking in with the neighbors:

Televisa [largest tenant in the building] is answering its phones

Air Nambia and Estonian Air [Aviareps in suite 602, GP is in 600/601] strong ring followed by a sort of busy tone. But it may be its the international circuit as I'm calling from Mexico.

Pier 51 Mortgage School 305-871-5155 [Suite 604] rings fine - no answer. Maybe I called too early.

And then there is AVMAN, parent company of GP who are answering its phones in Suite 600/601 [1 Sep 10:15 am CDT].

There is a slight possibility of a power outage - its hard to tell from the FPL map found here:
http://www.fpl.com/ but FPL reports:
With 99 percent of customers restored, FPL crews are on track to complete restoration; FPL releases first 1,000 workers to make journey to Gulf region
6 a.m. 9/1/05

From: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency/ 1 Sep 05 10:47 am CDT
Latest Updates
Electricity and Water

FPL reports 12,000 customers without power
BellSouth reports phone service is normal
Water is safe
Old Sep 1, 05, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhacker
GP has posted this notice on their home page:

Urgent Notification

Due to hurricane Katrina, our Call Center is presently inoperative from the lack of electricity. Please communicate with the Customer Care Center through My Messages and avoid eMail SPAM and store all your messages with GlobalPass within GlobalPass. You may also communicate with us via email at [email protected]. Thank you.
Thanks for the info. HOWEVER, I wouldnt put too much into it , as Im still waiting for them to answer a couple of emails sent in Late July-Early aug
Old Sep 1, 05, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good News

For the heck of it I called again and after 2 mins Marissa picked up, and transferred me to the tkting dept.

Took my CC info and told me my 9/11 tkt will be processed today, the others will be done as it gets closer to the dates of travel, next one is Nov.

So theres HOPE once again
Old Sep 1, 05, 4:41 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
GP FEDEXed me 2 tickets today...1 of which involved 06 travel.

From FEDEX:

Sep 1, 2005 4:56 PM Picked up MIAMI, FL

Relax people. We're on Latin time.
Old Sep 1, 05, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by tvl4free
GP FEDEXed me 2 tickets today...1 of which involved 06 travel.
So they ARE ticketing reservations for 2006 !?!

tvl4free: Would you be able to share your travel date of your 2006 ticket?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: