Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Fraud

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 4:22 pm

Money Orders are OK

The Agent at GP who I spoke to today called me back after checking with their "ticketing department" and she informed me that, yes, they would accept money orders. She informed me that ticketing would call me when they were ready to ticket and would give me the total amount of the remaining charges for all of the tickets that they need to issue against my and my wife's account. They would then allow me to mail into them a money order (they would not need me to send it into them via Express delivery service).
Old Aug 12, 2005, 6:34 pm

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
Harvey108,

Thanks for the info. I definately don't want to give them any more credit card information after having to close 2 accounts already.

Shelley
Old Aug 12, 2005, 8:17 pm

Programs: United 1K
Another friend had his credit card fraudulently used after giving it to GlobalPass

Told my friend to call his credit card proactively after mine was used fraudently.

He called and sure enough his had two bogus charges at the Home Depot in Miami yesterday for $485 and $625.

Looks like they are hitting everyone who used GlobalPass.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:21 pm

I just found out that the Canadian Mastercard I never usually use was blocked from use and then cancelled yesterday due to fraudulent activity. I can only remember using it twice this year, once to buy a ticket on Air Canada online and once where I submitted the number and expiration date to GlobalPass through their website messaging system.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 7:16 am

Programs: AA,AC,AS,BA,CI,CP,CO,DL,HP,NW,UA,US -Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Globalpass
e-mail address for guy booth

I am not sure if it is correct but it does not bounce back e-mail either:
[email protected]
Old Aug 15, 2005, 11:14 am

Programs: UA/AA Marriott/LeClub
Me, too!!

Have been a lurker since my April 2000 LP million mile run, but this thread has prompted me to finally post. Used CC to pay GP taxes/fees on two KLM AMS-JNB-CPT-AMS tixs. On 6/28/05 my CC fraud department called me in California stating that my CC had been used that morning at a Staples in Florida for a $700+ purchase. Go figure!?!?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:05 pm

Wonder if it was Sergio Vigoa, the person (or ficticious person) who used my credit card to purchase $1496.83 at Staples in Sarasota! I received a copy of the Staples receipt in the mail today from AE and his name and signature are all over it.
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:30 pm

Thought I'd mention that the copy of the receipt I got in the mail today from AE looks like it has an imprint of my AE card, with the expiration date and Servio Vigoa's name also imprinted. And I know that that card hadn't left my wallet in years, and it certainly wasn't in Florida in June. I had assumed that this charge was made via the internet, but it was made in the store.

Might someone be reproducing fake credit cards? How else would they be able to make an imprint with my number and their name?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:56 pm

Programs: United 1K
My credit card fraud department told me someone had a Visa card with my CC number on it and made two purchases in Texas last week (even though I live in Los Angeles and it hasn't left my sight.).
Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA,AC,AS,BA,CI,CP,CO,DL,HP,NW,UA,US -Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Globalpass
>but this thread has prompted me to finally post.

Yes me too!

S[omething] is about to hit the fan tomorrow.
Stay tuned and buckle those seats belts
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:48 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
vandykes44: Wish you'd have mentioned the topic over breakfast in AA

>> Might someone be reproducing fake credit cards? How else would they be able to make an imprint with my number and their name?

Rocket science it ain't. Card blanks are stolen all the time (dirty little secret) -- imprint machines have been around since forever, and have turned up on eBay... It's not hard at all.
The 'trick' is getting the mag stripe to encode -- but how many times have (we) seen a swipe-reader fail, & the clerk just punches-in the number ?

>> .. after having to close 2 accounts already.
Curious -- closed? (seems kinda drastic) -or- a number change ?

@:-) Suggestion to all: Find out if your card provider has a 'virtual card' feature.
On the 'net (or phone-in orders), I'll give 'em a 'temporary' number that's valid for maybe $1 over, and/or for x months. Once it's used (or maxed) - that's all there is -- dead number. Think 'gift-card'.

Very handy for those 'subscription-billings' that are *impossible* to stop (AOL ?) .. or .. ahemmm .. hotel bookings.

/.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:06 pm

Exclamation UPDATED with links- There is something rotten in this state of GlobalPass

There is something rotten in this state of GlobalPass - something very rotten.

How large could this fraud problem be? The only GP membership count I could find online* is a bit old but Mr. Guy Booth makes the claim that the program had 1.5 million members. If only 1/4 of 1% of them are affected and the average fraud is $1,000 then that makes the total close to $4,000,000.

What need be demanded of them [GP] is an audit of all GlobalPass Awards that can be linked to card fraud - How can this be done?

Simply. GP can e-mail/or contact otherwise/ all of its award recipients over the past year/2 years/whatever and simply query them: "After making a GP award transaction was there any fraudulent activity on the cc that was used to pay GP for whatever charges involved in the award transaction?" GP seems not willing to do this -not willing to clean its own house.

Had GP not pulled its midnight == no more-awards == coup most of us would never have considered linking cc fraud/id-theft with what is so dear to our traveling hearts: an award program.

I have seen the "me too's" grow on this forum over the past weeks. I was never a poster - but have always enjoyed the banter and tips offered here- I give thanks to the Forum for exposing this fraud.. Our trust in GP [in our offering of our cc and personal details] has been abused.

- I need to be forthcoming at this point -
after reading posts on the Forum I contacted CapitalOne the issuer of the card where fraud ** had occurred shortly after a GP award [MEX-LIM-MEX TA C class] had been issued. Indeed that was the card I used to pay $25 to GP. Thanks to the Forum I think the fraud can be definitely linked to GP. I contacted Mr. Guy Booth via an overnight express courier and suggested that 'for the damage done' --- (a ruined wedding celebration in the US) I'd agree to settle my injuries in a gentlemanly way. *** There was no response from GP [15 Aug 05].

OK - a game of bluffsmanship for sure and I was out for myself [hoping to get my lost 472,393 miles back*** and use them under new rules or get a cash out] but as we all know that is the game****. I am/have this morning/begun to take GP to task by filing a complaint with the Florida Attorney General's office ***** and advising CapitalOne of where I think the fraud/id-theft originated. I encourage all other affected GP members who have had the same Award/Fraud-ID theft experience to follow. With sufficient reporting a common denominator will emerge and the actual culprit revealed - although probably the acts of a dishonest individual rather than a corporate practice, the culprit will nonetheless be a part of Globalpass which has a duty to protect our identities and personal information from abuse. It can be argued perhaps that we suffer no actual financial damage as the card companies cover us - but indeed everyone is victimized by this as the costs of fraud are spread over all card holders. There is no free lunch.

If I may add a personal note to Mr. Guy Booth who will I'm sure be reading this: paraphrasing the recent IF interview: "what part of promotion don't you understand?" Your attitude toward your customers is in question. We did the deal you cooked up. My crew and I gave back 1,000,000 miles in charitable donations so don't take us as greedy sob's -you had a weak promo that should have been debugged first -a simple through ticket using IATA rules was easy to write - in my case MEX-GUA[KL!]-SAL-MGA --side trip MGA-MIA-MGA same day-- then SJO-GYE-LIM-//IQT-LIM-UIO-BOG-SJO-GUA [KL again]-MEX and the bus home. LP was lucky the Pudding Guy was more interested in tooting his horn in the WSJ than letting a great deal fly on and on. Well, maybe he did us all a favor - more Million Milers could have grounded LP before anyone got airborne on an award.
==

Khunbill, Guanajuato GTO MEX

* http://www.southfloridaceo.com/archi..._AVIATION.html
A great bit of bluster with such lines as: “If we do these deals, we’ll be 100 airlines by the end of the year,” says Booth. “That will really put GlobalPass on the map.”

**[Ross Stores in Sarasota and several declined authorizations [[all from FL ]] as my card had been maxed. As I paid off the card balance it maxed again.******]

*** oh, in a crazy side-note: my remaining 472,393 miles had expired [due to inactivity] a few days before GP's midnight coup.

**** I come from the mile-run school of -follow the rules/do the deal/keep quiet/enjoy the awards-

***** LINKS:
Florida Consumer Complaint form:
http://myfloridalegal.com/Contact.ns...conomic_Crimes
also For identity theft - reports to FTC
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/widtpubl$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU03
"ID Theft occurs when someone uses your name or other identifying information for their personal gain."

.****** Prior to a US trip in June I paid off this card so I could have full use of it during the trip. But the card maxed again. I have limited credit and needed this card to rent cars/buy dinners/etc for an important wedding my wife and I were attending outside of DCA.

Last edited by khunbill; Aug 22, 2005 at 10:14 am Reason: update
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:30 pm

I'm not trying to jump to conclusions here as I think I need to investigate a bit further, but you can add my name to the list of people whos credit cards were compromised for a $600+ "Florida electronics purchase". My card was denied yesterday for a purchase I was making and I called the CC company who promptly shut down the account after I confirmed that I didn't make the fraudulant charge. This is the second time this has happened with me. I'm trying to search for a LP correlation in the events.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 9:35 am

Exclamation updated post

22 AUG Having reviewed my post (#27 above) I noted that the * references were missing. These have now been added as well as links the the Florida Atty General's website where an on-line complaint form can be found. There are also links to the FTC website and its on-line complaint form and another link to the blustery Guy Booth in a South Florida CEO article on the future of GP where he predicts 100 airlines in the program.

Last edited by khunbill; Aug 22, 2005 at 10:14 am
Old Aug 22, 2005, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Keep us posted. I was lucky and no Cr. Card problems, so far.

You may want to get others input, if they are willing to share by PM to back up your allogations for the case. Maybe send a PM to them to ask for any info they may want to share.

My biggest, but not only complaint, about GP is that they did not announce by email or letter of the end of program. Lucky for us FTers, some of us saw it and cashed in. Think of those that call up this month to get a trip with their 550K miles and get the ¨sorry the program ended on end of June¨ response!!

Good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.