Wiki Posts
Search

Is GlobalPass necessary?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2005, 5:58 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Is GlobalPass necessary?

What do you think? A few years ago, this program had enough airlines participating to be considered a true coalition of airlines. One by one they faded away until all we have left is TACA, KLM (which is a true challenge when looking for award seats) and a couple of minor players with very limited service.

TACA has its own frequent flyer program, KLM has a nice alliance with Northwest. Why does this program even exist anymore? If TACA pulled out, I would not be surprised if GlobalPass was no more.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I stated years ago that GlobalPass must form an alliance of good small airlines around the world if it is to survive. In the beginning, the idea of latinPass seemed to make sense but it lacked a global vision (hence its demise- along with lots of bad luck with their chosed partners).

If GP is to survive as a true FF programme, then they need to actively sign up a conglomerate of small independent airlines that otherwise would not bother with a FF system.

Ideas for airlines include:

Air Asia
Air Nauru
Royal Brunei
Continente
Xiamen Airlines
Air Malawi

and so on. essentially, Small airlines around the globe. Together, the resources and coordination of GP would be helpful.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:50 am

Programs: United 1K
With all their problems I still had one of the most wonderful experiences in my life trying all those different airlines in pursuit of a million miles. I thought ACES was fantastic and TACA and LACSA were very good too.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SA *S, RG Gold
Originally Posted by jaguar
I thought ACES was fantastic...
I agree with you! ACES used to be great, but Avianca already "killed" it.
I think KLM will also leave GP after merging its FFP with AF this year. I guess is a good idea to use all the miles before GP desappears.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:26 am

I'm hoping KLM will stay in there for another year so I can use me leftover points to fly to Europe in WBC.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Southern Winds is gone now too! Anyone with miles in GLobalPass should be booking their trips while they still can!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:47 am

Thanks MileageAddict for the update about Southern Winds.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Wow.....how prophetic. I wish I was wrong this time. Goodbye GlobalPass....

I guess I'm on of the fortunate ones as I burned up my last 35k miles in February .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.