Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAN enforcing Peru residency for cheap fares??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN enforcing Peru residency for cheap fares??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by maynard7
I go to Peru once or twice a year and never knew about Indecopi. I am going to see if I can also file a complaint, even though I am a foreigner. LAN is not going to change anything unless forced to. They also charge foreigners more on domestic flights within Argentina (I don't know about the other countries they do business in). IIRC, they are not permitted to do so on international flights.
The Argentina situation is different. Those are government-subsidized fares for Argentina residents. That is different than just a residency requirement, absent a subsidy. It is also different than point of sale restrictions. Point of sale restrictions are common throughout the world. But anyone can buy a point of sale restricted ticket as long as one is in that location.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:23 pm

This issue is a big discussion in Peru among expats and visitors alike.

Here is a link to an extensive conversation about the issue in English.
http://www.expatperu.com/expatforums...pic.php?t=7419

To complain in Peru, one should file with INDECOPI and here is the link to their website, in English. They are the Peruvian Government Consumer Rights agency.

http://www.indecopi.gob.pe/sac-que-es-ing.jsp

A few others have filed complaints, so the more complaints, the more likely it is that something will be done.

it is clearly not a case of government subsidised travel incentives for Peruvians, it is not even a discount to encourage Peruvians to travel because it is a mostly hidden fee, it is simply a gringo tax.

They are even selling the prohibited fare to tourists in Lan offices without telling them, then fining them at the airport.

Lan should be punished.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Email received from LAN

Dear AdamSouthFL,

From the marketing team representing LAN Peru in the United States, I’d like to clarify some of the misunderstanding surrounding the LAN Peru fares that are part of the Peru es tuyo, conocelo (Peru is yours, get to know it) campaign. The fare structure with new lower fares for Peruvian residents is designed to make travel within the country more affordable for more people – it’s not meant to slight or penalize foreign travelers. These fares are accessible to any legal resident of the country, not only Peruvian citizens.

LAN Peru offers residents of Peru convenient fares through Peru es tuyo, conocelo, much as other service companies, theme parks, and entertainment venues offer accessible fares to residents in other countries or states, including the United States.

In addition to these resident fares, LAN Peru and its related companies also regularly announce deals to make travel to Peru and other destinations in South America less expensive for foreign travelers to their destinations. For example, the LAN Argentina promotion, Discover Argentina, Beyond Buenos Aires, that is currently available allows travelers to visit one of a number of domestic destinations in Argentina for the same price of flying from the United States or Canada to Buenos Aires.

Furthermore, LAN Airlines and its affiliates offer convenient products for foreign travelers to the region. With the South America AirPass, when foreign travelers fly internationally to the region, they can buy one-way tickets to the destinations operated by LAN Airlines and its affiliates, making the most out of their experiences at accessible prices.

We will also be sure to share information about these deals in the future.

Sincerely yours,
This is a "post-only" email response. If you'd like to contact us again, please send your requests only through "contact us" at www.lan.com.
Delia V. Brea I Customer Relations Manager, North America and Caribbean
LAN AIRLINES I 6500 N.W. 22 Street. Miami, FL 33122 I 1 (786) 265-6341 I Fax 1 (305) 670-5960 I www.lan.com
FLY FREE WITHIN ARGENTINA
Travel from the US or Canada to our destinations in Argentina for the same price as Buenos Aires. Visit LAN.com, call us at 1 866 I FLY LAN or contact your travel agent.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA CO
I'm going to travel on Star Peru from now on. I just looked at a trip on LAN from Lima to Iquitos.... there's an incredible special right now for less than $70 round-trip for Peruvian residents, but the cheapest for a foreigner would be $236. Star Peru is $88 cheaper than LAN's price for the same dates. I have flown on Star twice before and it's just fine. I think I was only flying on LAN to get frequent flyer points on American Airlines, but with those cheapest fares you don't get points any more. So really no reason to fly on LAN any more. People, check them out at starperu dot com. You can apparently buy online too, but my next trip to Peru isn't scheduled until February. I don't know if they block foreign credit cards the way LAN does, but it's worth a try.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:28 am

The different price thing is everywhere, different tax at airport for domestic departures, diffreent rates on the train, different entrance fees to Machu P. etc.
My friend was continually taking out his residency card to prove he was a resident.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:59 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
domestic airport tax same for everyone?

Yes, there is a different airport tax for international vs domestic flights, but I thought the tax for domestic flights was the same for everyone, why would he have to take out his residency card? What do I not understand?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Yes, there is a different airport tax for international vs domestic flights, but I thought the tax for domestic flights was the same for everyone, why would he have to take out his residency card? What do I not understand?
The way I understand it is that a person has to prove that they reside in Peru to obtain certain airfares. To do this the pax has to show their resident ID.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:10 am

I hear Fox News is running with this story. It is all over Twitter. Expat that Americorps speaks of.... is a highly reputable source!!!! Lots of stories on how to work the tourist visa. It has threads that teach you how to enter on a 30 day visa and then stay as long as you want!!!!!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:24 pm

stop racial discrimnaion by LAN

Hi All,
look, the solution to this is NOT to complain to the Peruvian Governemnt because 1) they are totally corrupt and probably are getting bribed and 2) LAN is a Chillian company.
You want to stop this? Then complain to to the U.S. Government, (or the government of whatever country you live in) tell the FAA and the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Commerce Department that LAN is discriminatating on the basis on National Orgin, and urge them to ban LAN flights to the U.S. Call your Congress person and complain, and ask them to consider revoking flight agreements with LAN allowing them to fly to your country. Simpy put, BAN LAN!
That stupid airline won't last for five seconds with out foreign travlers, and they know it. We are their life blood. Let them try and live off just domestice flighs to Aerquipa and Igutios. They will lose faster than the Peruvian National football team.
Better yet, you can even sue LAN in a U.S. court of law since they do business here in the U.S. TAKE THIER MONEY!! Find a decent plaintiff class action firm to take the case, and that will put a stop to this nonsense ASAP.
The really sad thing about this is that this kind of garbage by corrupt Peruvian government officals and scum bag LAN officals is that it adds fuel to the fire of ant-immigrant groups located in the U.S. who all the time are saying things like "They want us to respect them, but see what they do to us. They cahrge us a higher price just because of where we were born. Kick them all out, and build a wall and tell them all to go to hell".
Lan (and the Peruvian Government by allowing this) is just hurting their own people, and they embaress the country just so they can make another dollar which they did nothing to earn.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canjunjamie
I hear Fox News is running with this story. It is all over Twitter. Expat that Americorps speaks of.... is a highly reputable source!!!! Lots of stories on how to work the tourist visa. It has threads that teach you how to enter on a 30 day visa and then stay as long as you want!!!!!
Great first post ^
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lansux1
Hi All,
look, the solution to this is NOT to complain to the Peruvian Governemnt because 1) they are totally corrupt and probably are getting bribed and 2) LAN is a Chillian company.
You want to stop this? Then complain to to the U.S. Government, (or the government of whatever country you live in) tell the FAA and the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Commerce Department that LAN is discriminatating on the basis on National Orgin, and urge them to ban LAN flights to the U.S. Call your Congress person and complain, and ask them to consider revoking flight agreements with LAN allowing them to fly to your country. Simpy put, BAN LAN!
That stupid airline won't last for five seconds with out foreign travlers, and they know it. We are their life blood. Let them try and live off just domestice flighs to Aerquipa and Igutios. They will lose faster than the Peruvian National football team.
Better yet, you can even sue LAN in a U.S. court of law since they do business here in the U.S. TAKE THIER MONEY!! Find a decent plaintiff class action firm to take the case, and that will put a stop to this nonsense ASAP.
The really sad thing about this is that this kind of garbage by corrupt Peruvian government officals and scum bag LAN officals is that it adds fuel to the fire of ant-immigrant groups located in the U.S. who all the time are saying things like "They want us to respect them, but see what they do to us. They cahrge us a higher price just because of where we were born. Kick them all out, and build a wall and tell them all to go to hell".
Lan (and the Peruvian Government by allowing this) is just hurting their own people, and they embaress the country just so they can make another dollar which they did nothing to earn.
Another great first post ^
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
How about complaining to AA and getting them booted out of the One World Alliance
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
will sell it, but won't let you use it

What is particularly dismal (or I have other words) is that LAN will SELL you a Base Fare ticket without a DNI or Carnet Extraneria and then won't let you use it!! without a DNI or Carnet extraneria you can be refused the flight or pay the $178 fine.
Why would they not instead refuse to sell the ticket without DNI or carnet numbers and avoid all of this?
Old Jan 23, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Just stay away from the check-in counter

I recently visited Peru on a birdwatching trip, and almost didn't go when I discovered that the cheap Peruvian internal flights were no longer available. (Star Peru not an option) So the ground operator for the trip purchased Peruvian price tickets for me, I checked in and printed boarding passes on-line a day ahead and traveled with carry-on only and didn't have any problems. Of course carry-on only won't work for everyone.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: AA CO
Online checkin is a great tip. However, I avoid giving LAN any of my money. There is a new airline in Peru, called (oddly enough), Peruvian Airlines. They have nice planes, you can change your date with no penalty, and they have the *same* price for foreigners and Peruvians (they even say so on their web site). Please give them a try.... Peru is a great country, and I hope this airline will make a go of it. Every time you fly on LAN, the money goes to Chile; Peru really needs that money to stay inside the country. Check out their web site (click "English" in the upper right corner if you don't speak Spanish).
http://www.peruvianairlines.pe/index.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.