Wiki Posts
Search

767 vs 787 LAX-LIM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2023, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
767 vs 787 LAX-LIM

I believe all 767 on this route features the new J (1-2-1), is that right? How about 787? If both are new J, is one aircraft preferrable to the other? I know 767 is a lil narrower. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I like the open feeling of the 787. I thought the new 767 config was decent (only 1 experience) but avoided the 767 old config whenever possible. Very few 787s have the new config, and I recall only some of the 789s, no 788s.

I like the LA crews (most 787s) better than the LP crews (767s), so there's that, too.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
787s on LAX LIM are currently 2-2-2.

The only issue with 2-2-2 is not having all aisle access. Other than that, I find the seat perfectly fine.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 7:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
I took the 767-300 ER just a few days ago and they are fitted with 1-2-1 configuration.
While this concept looks perfect, the seat does have some draw backs. Once fully extended flat, you will have difficulties turning on the bed as the foot well is very shallow. This can be frustrating.

The 787, however, is wonderful. Mind you there are two versions, the older 2-2-2 config and a newer, 1-2-1. As a single traveler on the 2-2-2 i chose the center aisle to avoid climb over and have aisle access. The newer 1-2-1 is fantastic, if you have luck to get on one of those.
In either case, both 787 versions are leaps better than the (old and loud) 767, unless you are an aviation freak and enjoy older style air travel
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:38 am

I took advantage of the great LATAM flights to Lima earlier this month where I traveled JFK->LAX (Daytime Delta One Suites A330-900), LAX->LIM (Overnight LATAM Old 787-8), LIM->JFK (Daytime LATAM New 767-300) (there's a post about this deal in the Premium Deals forum). I traveled as a solo-traveler, so if you are traveling as a couple, then one of the main cons of the 787 is a moot point. I think I personally enjoyed the 787 slightly more, but they were both very enjoyable seats. Also, as other posters have mentioned - almost none of the LATAM 787s have the 1-2-1 cabin.

LATAM 2-2-2 787 Pros:
  • Extremely wide seat, one of the widest and most comfortable lie-flat business class seats I've ever slept on (they also give you a mattress pad)
  • Lots of legroom, I didn't feel like I was really inconveniencing my seat-mate when I had to get up (even when they were in bed mode)
LATAM 2-2-2 787 Cons:
  • Window seats do not have aisle access
  • Cabin is very open; not much privacy (could be seen as a pro if you like spacious/open layout)
LATAM 1-2-1 767 Pros:
  • Inside seats had great privacy (odd numbered rows aka seats A,E,F,L) (Note: first row privacy is a bit lacking relative to rows 3 and 5 since the bulkhead is relatively much further away from you compared to the seat backs for other rows)
  • Seat layout is more modern and somewhat inline with the standard of airlines like (New Delta One 767-400, New United 1-2-1 Polaris)
LATAM 1-2-1 767 Cons:
  • Seats are not that new, the seats were a bit run down (not extremely clean, slightly discolored plastic)
  • Seats are pretty narrow for a lie-flat seat (especially when compared with the 787's thrones)
  • Be warned if picking seats 5A or 5L - these can be commandeered into crew rest seats for longhaul flights so you might get bumped (happened to me)
Brandinho1 likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by IsleSeat
I took the 767-300 ER just a few days ago and they are fitted with 1-2-1 configuration.
While this concept looks perfect, the seat does have some draw backs. Once fully extended flat, you will have difficulties turning on the bed as the foot well is very shallow. This can be frustrating.

The 787, however, is wonderful. Mind you there are two versions, the older 2-2-2 config and a newer, 1-2-1. As a single traveler on the 2-2-2 i chose the center aisle to avoid climb over and have aisle access. The newer 1-2-1 is fantastic, if you have luck to get on one of those.
In either case, both 787 versions are leaps better than the (old and loud) 767, unless you are an aviation freak and enjoy older style air travel
Just having traveled on both, the 787 is significantly better than the ultra narrow footwells on the 767. In complete agreement.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Squak2me
Just having traveled on both, the 787 is significantly better than the ultra narrow footwells on the 767. In complete agreement.
Agree.
All-aisle access is overrated, IMO.

I'm 6ft tall and I find the footwell uncomfortable, can't comfortably bend my knees without hitting my sheens against the footwell.
I guess if you sleep like Dracula on your back and not moving at all they can be ok.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Agree.
All-aisle access is overrated, IMO.

I'm 6ft tall and I find the footwell uncomfortable, can't comfortably bend my knees without hitting my sheens against the footwell.
I guess if you sleep like Dracula on your back and not moving at all they can be ok.
I do prefer the 787 all around better but I'll take the new config 767s anyday over the old ones - those were too narrow overall, even with the "freedom of foot movement."
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:53 am

Bed length LATAM Business class seats on LATAM 2-2-2 788

Originally Posted by kylexiao
I took advantage of the great LATAM flights to Lima earlier this month where I traveled JFK->LAX (Daytime Delta One Suites A330-900), LAX->LIM (Overnight LATAM Old 787-8), LIM->JFK (Daytime LATAM New 767-300) (there's a post about this deal in the Premium Deals forum). I traveled as a solo-traveler, so if you are traveling as a couple, then one of the main cons of the 787 is a moot point. I think I personally enjoyed the 787 slightly more, but they were both very enjoyable seats. Also, as other posters have mentioned - almost none of the LATAM 787s have the 1-2-1 cabin.

LATAM 2-2-2 787 Pros:
  • Extremely wide seat, one of the widest and most comfortable lie-flat business class seats I've ever slept on (they also give you a mattress pad)
  • Lots of legroom, I didn't feel like I was really inconveniencing my seat-mate when I had to get up (even when they were in bed mode)
LATAM 2-2-2 787 Cons:
  • Window seats do not have aisle access
  • Cabin is very open; not much privacy (could be seen as a pro if you like spacious/open layout)
LATAM 1-2-1 767 Pros:
  • Inside seats had great privacy (odd numbered rows aka seats A,E,F,L) (Note: first row privacy is a bit lacking relative to rows 3 and 5 since the bulkhead is relatively much further away from you compared to the seat backs for other rows)
  • Seat layout is more modern and somewhat inline with the standard of airlines like (New Delta One 767-400, New United 1-2-1 Polaris)
LATAM 1-2-1 767 Cons:
  • Seats are not that new, the seats were a bit run down (not extremely clean, slightly discolored plastic)
  • Seats are pretty narrow for a lie-flat seat (especially when compared with the 787's thrones)
  • Be warned if picking seats 5A or 5L - these can be commandeered into crew rest seats for longhaul flights so you might get bumped (happened to me)
According to the seat map, the length of a LATAM business class seat is 72 inches. I've read in the reviews that the bed is too short for taller guys (I'm tall about 6'3 - 6'4).
Please is there any specific business class seat on LATAM 787-8 that is longer than a standard business class seat?
Thank you.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:17 pm

Does anyone have experience with the bulkhead seats on LATAMs new 767 config? Do they have larger footwells as I 've seen the other seats have quite cramped footwells. Looking to fly from JFK-LIM and back.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 10:34 pm

Anyone have experience on the 787 with the 2-2-2 config seated at the window? I would love a window on my upcoming trip, but don't want to be crawling over a stranger for 12hrs. What's aisle access like in this config?
Old Oct 30, 2023, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by boostedM
Anyone have experience on the 787 with the 2-2-2 config seated at the window? I would love a window on my upcoming trip, but don't want to be crawling over a stranger for 12hrs. What's aisle access like in this config?
You have to jump over your seat mate. Get a "D" or "H" seat.
boostedM likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.