Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM shows 0 checked baggage allowance for an Alaska business class award!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM shows 0 checked baggage allowance for an Alaska business class award!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BNELHR
Quick follow up question for you experts / those with experience here - for those with split Y and J sectors issued on an award booking (in my case I have AEP-GRU in Y and GRU-MEX in J), would the baggage agent override at check in at AEP to allow carry on baggage (i.e. a roll on to be stored in the overhead compartment)?

The email I’ve received from LA says that I don’t get carry-on baggage (despite confirming that I get two checked bags up to 23kg each), but shouldn’t the J baggage allowance take precedence? Hoping I don’t have to buy carry on for one leg!?!

Many thanks in anticipation!
Y awards should have 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on. Latam Peru has fixed the baggage allowance display recently, not sure about Latam Brasil but shouldn't be a problem at all even if it is on separate reservations. Definitely no problem on the same reservation, your entire AEP-GRU-MEX will have 2 bags and 1 carry-on + a small item.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by simonsuo
Y awards should have 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on. Latam Peru has fixed the baggage allowance display recently, not sure about Latam Brasil but shouldn't be a problem at all even if it is on separate reservations. Definitely no problem on the same reservation, your entire AEP-GRU-MEX will have 2 bags and 1 carry-on + a small item.
Thanks simonsuo! All fine as advised, no pushback at check in at AEP and when specifically asked to confirm we could take carry ons, we were told yes (subject to the standard caveat about being forced to check at gate because it was a full flight).

One other data point - LA’s system won’t give you priority for your first Y leg. We had to ask for our baggage to be priority tagged through to MEX (no dramas with this request) and when asked to override our Y BP’s for the first sector to show group 1 boarding, we were told that this wasn’t possible in their system.

After some to-and-fro the check in agent agreed to overwrite the default (lowly group 5!) to group 1 by hand in pen on our BPs to give us priority boarding; probably not a deal killer in most situations but as our flight was completely full they were forcibly gate checking carry ons, which we were luckily immune to as group 1 pax. So ask for this if you don’t want to be dispossessed of your carry on!
Old Feb 5, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’m in the same boat. On one ticket but as a layover in SCZl (lax-scl-exe). Given it’s a layover (3 days) , with Lax-SCL in J and SCL-EZE in Y, what’s my allowance for the SCL-EZE leg?
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:58 am

Has anyone been able to select seats if booked via Alaska? Called Latam and phone agent said its impossible to select seats since we booked through Alaska and we can get help when we get to the airport. Two passengers, 1 shows having a seat on the booking, no matter what I select though it won't stick for the 2nd passenger. Tried website and in app no go. Tried logged in with my Latam account too, still no go.

Beyond ridiculous that seat selection in 2024 can't be handled until we get to the airport.
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by the188
Has anyone been able to select seats if booked via Alaska? Called Latam and phone agent said its impossible to select seats since we booked through Alaska and we can get help when we get to the airport. Two passengers, 1 shows having a seat on the booking, no matter what I select though it won't stick for the 2nd passenger. Tried website and in app no go. Tried logged in with my Latam account too, still no go.

Beyond ridiculous that seat selection in 2024 can't be handled until we get to the airport.
On my most recent AS award (booked a few days ago), it took a good half hour before I could pull the res up on the LA website, and then had seat issues, but on the app, it was fine. And it is showing 4x23kg for baggage allowance for two. (First time in several trips that the award res shows the proper baggage allowance).
Old Feb 14, 2024, 3:19 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by the188

When you log in to your Alaska account and select your trip, right below the flight summary on the right-hand side, you will see both your Alaska & LATAM confirmation codes. Grab your LATAM code and then enter that along with your last name and you will be able to select your seats. It was a little weird on the web interface but had no problems selecting seats via the LATAM mobile app.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by reinmedia
When you log in to your Alaska account and select your trip, right below the flight summary on the right-hand side, you will see both your Alaska & LATAM confirmation codes. Grab your LATAM code and then enter that along with your last name and you will be able to select your seats. It was a little weird on the web interface but had no problems selecting seats via the LATAM mobile app.
This was on a reservation made months ago. I tried all of that and it kept failing, both in browser and app. It would say saved and email confirmation sent (it never was) and then seats would reset to same duplicate seat as before. I contacted Latam via Facebook and eventually they were able to assign seats. I got an email with their ticket info including that 2 checked bags were included. So would recommend trying that if all else fails.
chapmanj9 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 9:12 pm

They can be inconsistent about this, and the mixed classes across the booking seem to mess them up, even though if on the same booking, the same allowance should apply for all segments.

Had something similar with AF recently, where the entire booking was in J (paid for fare, not miles) and even my e-ticket receipt showed 3x32kg (2 for J and 1 more for Platinum with DL). I had printed all that out just in case. I get to the airport for segment 1 which is booked with a J code but only offers Y service (NCE-ORY to be specific), with one piece that’s around 30kg and another that’s only 5kg… so very well under limits. The check-in agent is saying I need to pay the overweight fee. I show him my booking that shows 3x32 but he says it doesn’t apply because ORY is only economy service. He also says it was a mistake that the flight was issued in J booking class. I said that if it’s a mistake, AF should honour their original selling conditions, to which he said that’s not what he said… it wasn’t an AF mistake, it was MY mistake to buy the fare on the AF web site. And mind you this was not at all a cheap flight or a mistake fare or anything of the sort. It was your average EUR1000 intra-Europe fare.

After some back and forth he offers to move me without cost to the CDG flight if I want “business” but by this point I just want to be along my way. He finally says “as an exception” he will take the bag without charging an overweight. Geez thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 10:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, LATAM Black, Vistara Gold, Accor/IHG Platinum, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Had something similar with AF recently, where the entire booking was in J (paid for fare, not miles) and even my e-ticket receipt showed 3x32kg (2 for J and 1 more for Platinum with DL). I had printed all that out just in case. I get to the airport for segment 1 which is booked with a J code but only offers Y service (NCE-ORY to be specific), with one piece that’s around 30kg and another that’s only 5kg… so very well under limits. The check-in agent is saying I need to pay the overweight fee. I show him my booking that shows 3x32 but he says it doesn’t apply because ORY is only economy service. He also says it was a mistake that the flight was issued in J booking class. I said that if it’s a mistake, AF should honour their original selling conditions, to which he said that’s not what he said… it wasn’t an AF mistake, it was MY mistake to buy the fare on the AF web site. And mind you this was not at all a cheap flight or a mistake fare or anything of the sort. It was your average EUR1000 intra-Europe fare.

After some back and forth he offers to move me without cost to the CDG flight if I want “business” but by this point I just want to be along my way. He finally says “as an exception” he will take the bag without charging an overweight. Geez thanks.
Did you file a complaint? I know it seems pointless to, but I have had a lot of success in these kind of issues being resolved after complaints have been filed. Some of it is on-ground training issues, and what I have noticed is that filing complaints leads to notes being sent to ground staff that then leads to overall improvements. So you may not get any miles or anything but an apology, but in the background the system does appear to work.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:10 am

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I booked two reservations this morning. A short while later I was able to select my seats
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:56 am

Any recent data points on this?

I have a LATAM J award coming up, and of course, the website is showing zero checked bags allows.

I've called LATAM 800 and messaged on Twitter and they both told me that this was due to some "discrepancy" in how AS ticketed me. I've called AS and of course they say (rightfully) that the issue is not on their end and that their ticketing always defers to partner baggage policies.

Has anyone had recent issues checking in a bag at the airport on their J ticket?
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Any recent data points on this?

I have a LATAM J award coming up, and of course, the website is showing zero checked bags allows.

I've called LATAM 800 and messaged on Twitter and they both told me that this was due to some "discrepancy" in how AS ticketed me. I've called AS and of course they say (rightfully) that the issue is not on their end and that their ticketing always defers to partner baggage policies.

Has anyone had recent issues checking in a bag at the airport on their J ticket?
Update. I spoke to Alaska Airlines' partner desk, who in turn escalated it to their global team. Apparently the issue is with how Alaska maps the baggage information to LATAM; the supervisor said that the 2 checked bags were always part of my ticket, just not being displayed in the correct place. Whatever that means. At any rate, they did some sort of manual remapping and voila, my LATAM-side booking is now showing my 2 checked bags.

Moral of the story: Alaska can fix this, and apparently LATAM's customer service department was actually correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.