Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima connection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Lima connection

Hello,

I have an ATL-LIM arriving at 7am in the morning (DL) and conncting at 1am the next morning LIM-La Paz on Latam. So this is an international connection.

If I want to exit the airport during the day to sleep in a hotel, do I have to pay any international departure tax to the tune of USD30 something? Is this included in airfares? Do they still check if we have paid it?

Thanks,
Minos

Last edited by Minos; Feb 18, 2022 at 7:10 am
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Minos
Hello,

I have an ATL-LIM arriving at 7am in the morning (DL) and conncting at 1am the next morning LIM-La Paz on Latam. So this is an international connection.

If I want to exit the airport during the day to sleep in a hotel, do I have to pay any international departure tax to the tune of USD30 something? Is this included in airfares? Do they still check if we have paid it?

Thanks,
Minos
If you're on the same ticket, I'm sure you haven't paid it. I expect that when you re-enter the airport and have the BP scan, the beep will be the "you didn''t pay the tax" beep. This once happened to me a long time ago due to IROPS, where LA put me in the airport hotel - LA then fixed the issue.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 8:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
International overnight connection at LIM checked through bags

I will come from LAX arriving 1125pm, and my flight to Sao Paulo is 125pm the next day. Same ticket in J.
1. Will Latam check my bags from LA to Sao Paulo?
2. Can I remain airside, or is LIM international transfer security open 24 hours?
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:31 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I will come from LAX arriving 1125pm, and my flight to Sao Paulo is 125pm the next day. Same ticket in J.
2. Can I remain airside, or is LIM international transfer security open 24 hours?

If your flights are on one ticket, Latam will check the bags through to your final destination.
In normal circumstances and you already have your boarding card for SP, you just have to clear security which seems to work fairly well at Lima.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malagajohn
If your flights are on one ticket, Latam will check the bags through to your final destination.
In normal circumstances and you already have your boarding card for SP, you just have to clear security which seems to work fairly well at Lima.
Even when the transit security area looks bleak, it rarely takes more than 15 minutes, maybe 30 worst-case. And the airport is a 24 hour zoo, so no issues with staying in the int'l zone.

I've got my first LIM connection in ages next month, one of my least favo(u)rite airports. I hope the refreshed SUMAQ lounge is more refreshing than in years' past, including the shower suites.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:03 am
Suspended

With a 24 hour layover, if you remain airside, where are you going to sleep? You fly business class J, I suppose you can afford a hotel room, and the $30 airport tax.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
With a 24 hour layover, if you remain airside, where are you going to sleep? You fly business class J, I suppose you can afford a hotel room, and the $30 airport tax.
1125p arrival - probably in hotel room @ 1am (the onsite hotel) - then best to be back at airport 2 hours before the flight. So, the connection isn't as long as it seems. I'd probably get the room (and once did during IROPS where LA offered me lounge access - which I already had - or a room). I'd not consider an off-site room, especially with the current state of affairs.
Semphyra likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
especially with the current state of affairs.
Exactly, do I need to clear customs to go to that on-site hotel? I may just walk in if I feel tired that day. I assume it is not getting fully booked considering the current travel situation.

Thanks for your help info above.

Originally Posted by Mama
With a 24 hour layover
Well, it's about 12 hours but it is an entire overnight layover though. Need to adjust to carnival times anyway, so I have not decided yet what my plans will be.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exactly, do I need to clear customs to go to that on-site hotel? I may just walk in if I feel tired that day. I assume it is not getting fully booked considering the current travel situation.
Yes, full arrival and departure procedures.
Old Feb 6, 2023, 11:58 am
Suspended

Yes, full arrival and departure procedures.
so, need to pay $30 airport fee, which is not included in the airfare.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:40 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
I have another LIMA connection question, but going the opposite direction from most other posters here - CUZ-LIM-EWR on a single LA+UA ticket.

United sells connections as short as 90 mins in LIM, although I'm looking at 2:05 on my itinerary. I don't think I need to collect/recheck bags, nor do I need to check-in again. But may need the special USA-bound flight security. Is this all correct? Is 2h enough? If I have to go through some of these formalities, I may just go carryon-only. Thank you.
Old May 7, 2023, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD
I have another LIMA connection question, but going the opposite direction from most other posters here - CUZ-LIM-EWR on a single LA+UA ticket.

United sells connections as short as 90 mins in LIM, although I'm looking at 2:05 on my itinerary. I don't think I need to collect/recheck bags, nor do I need to check-in again. But may need the special USA-bound flight security. Is this all correct? Is 2h enough? If I have to go through some of these formalities, I may just go carryon-only. Thank you.
You will need to go through LIM exit procedures (departure passport control and security) and then will have a gate security check after your zone has been called for boarding.
Old May 9, 2023, 7:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
How does this tax payment exactly works? I have an ATL-LIM flight and a separate LIM-CUZ flight in the afternoon with an 8-hour layover (which I suppose has the airport charge). I was hoping that I can drop my bags at the Latam ticket counter and then go out for brunch. Will this cause any issues going back to the airport?
Old May 9, 2023, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
How does this tax payment exactly works? I have an ATL-LIM flight and a separate LIM-CUZ flight in the afternoon with an 8-hour layover (which I suppose has the airport charge). I was hoping that I can drop my bags at the Latam ticket counter and then go out for brunch. Will this cause any issues going back to the airport?
The odds of LA taking your bag 8 hours or even 7 hours (by the time you get the bag and back to check in) are between extremely slim and none.
Old May 9, 2023, 9:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The odds of LA taking your bag 8 hours or even 7 hours (by the time you get the bag and back to check in) are between extremely slim and none.
Thanks. I was hoping this could be the case. According to DL, they can interline/tag the bag all the way to CUZ but I understand that they might have a drop-off timeframe and won't allow us to re-check them until later in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.