Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Oneworld Sapphire - do I get any baggage perks on LATAM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Hi all, we are looking at some flights for a Peru trip on LATAM this summer. I will have American PLT PRO / Oneworld Sapphire - does it get me anything for free baggage on the LATAM flights? LATAM offers 4 ticket categories, with the bottom two offering a la carte baggage pricing "from" $7 or $9 depending on which ticket you get. I have read that it can go significantly higher and so the safe bet is to just buy the higher level ticket which includes one checked bag up to 23kg (which should be plenty for us). If I could save a few bucks and buy a lower category ticket and get a free bag from my Oneworld status, that would be the best deal but it isn't clear to me how that works.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by bswiz
Hi all, we are looking at some flights for a Peru trip on LATAM this summer. I will have American PLT PRO / Oneworld Sapphire - does it get me anything for free baggage on the LATAM flights? LATAM offers 4 ticket categories, with the bottom two offering a la carte baggage pricing "from" $7 or $9 depending on which ticket you get. I have read that it can go significantly higher and so the safe bet is to just buy the higher level ticket which includes one checked bag up to 23kg (which should be plenty for us). If I could save a few bucks and buy a lower category ticket and get a free bag from my Oneworld status, that would be the best deal but it isn't clear to me how that works.

Thanks!
One free bag as OneWorld benefit if on LA light fare. Last week I had an 28,5 kg bag on intra Brazil flight, even heavy tag was added
https://www.latam.com/en_un/about-us...lyer-benefits/
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaenks
One free bag as OneWorld benefit if on LA light fare. Last week I had an 28,5 kg bag on intra Brazil flight, even heavy tag was added
https://www.latam.com/en_un/about-us...lyer-benefits/
Thanks Jaenks, that's what I thought but was getting confused reading the LATAM site.

Related question, if I book a Light fare for my wife (no OW status), the baggage fee says "from $7". Any idea what that means - presumably it could be more than $7, but I can find no explanation anywhere of how high it could go, or how they determine the actual amount you would pay.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Thanks Jaenks, that's what I thought but was getting confused reading the LATAM site.

Related question, if I book a Light fare for my wife (no OW status), the baggage fee says "from $7". Any idea what that means - presumably it could be more than $7, but I can find no explanation anywhere of how high it could go, or how they determine the actual amount you would pay.
It's the price for the first bag and bought with enough anticipation. If you buy additional bags or with less than 48 hours of anticipation is going to be higher

Here are the prices and their ranges
https://www.latam.com/en_us/travel-i...xcess-baggage/
Old Jan 10, 2020, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Semphyra
It's the price for the first bag and bought with enough anticipation. If you buy additional bags or with less than 48 hours of anticipation is going to be higher

Here are the prices and their ranges
https://www.latam.com/en_us/travel-i...xcess-baggage/
Even this doesn't seem to give a straightforward answer:

Important: The price of baggage depends on the flight date (high or low season), fare, how far in advance it’s purchased and/or the passenger’s route.

1st checked bag up to 48 hours before flight - USD 8-23.

So no way to know if we'll get hit with $8 or $23?! Maybe it will show up when I actually purchase; but it should show before that so I can effectively compare prices with other airlines and fare levels. So frustrating.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH

I never paid for baggage, so cannot comment. Go to you wife's booking management or in purchase stage choose additional baggage and add the bag, you will see how much it would be and that is the lowest you will get. Then compare it with lowest fare that includes the baggage.

Last edited by Jaenks; Jan 11, 2020 at 6:43 am
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:04 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Even this doesn't seem to give a straightforward answer:

Important: The price of baggage depends on the flight date (high or low season), fare, how far in advance it’s purchased and/or the passenger’s route.

1st checked bag up to 48 hours before flight - USD 8-23.

So no way to know if we'll get hit with $8 or $23?! Maybe it will show up when I actually purchase; but it should show before that so I can effectively compare prices with other airlines and fare levels. So frustrating.
As I said, you are going to get the price listed on the booking page as long as you buy the extra baggage as soon as you book your flight
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Semphyra
As I said, you are going to get the price listed on the booking page as long as you buy the extra baggage as soon as you book your flight
I'm not seeing it during the booking process. Is it only after the ticket is purchased? I am using the local LATAM Peru website if that makes a difference, not the LATAM USA site (because the flights are cheaper directly through the Peru site).

Edit: Purchased the tickets, and afterwards it allowed me to prepay for baggage. Interesting thing is, it is saying both my wife and I have one free bag included because we are elite status. I entered both of our AA #'s during the booking, but I'm the only one with any kind of AA/OW status.

Last edited by bswiz; Jan 28, 2020 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
With LATAM backing up its departure date from October to May 1, 2020, your AA status will no longer be recognized after that. (This isn’t necessarily true for other oneworld partners, but it is certainly so for AA.)
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
With LATAM backing up its departure date from October to May 1, 2020, your AA status will no longer be recognized after that. (This isn’t necessarily true for other oneworld partners, but it is certainly so for AA.)
Well crap, I didn't realize they had moved up the date. Guess we'll just pay for the bags then!

Brings up an interesting dilemma.... will I be able to add a bag to our reservation after May 1?! Currently they both say Elite - $0. Wonder if the systems will be smart enough to update after the OW departure.

Last edited by bswiz; Feb 3, 2020 at 1:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.