Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LAX > SCL with a tight layover in LIM during the holidays...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Potentially stuck in Lima/Santiago during the holidays

SEA-LAX-LIM-SCL all booked on one ticket with an OTA (Orbitz). The short 1.5 layover at LIM is concerning. I booked a separate ticket from SCL to Brazil (Florianopolis) the next day, will stay a few days, and then fly from Flor to Rio. HIGH possibility of not making 1.5 layover for LIM to SCL. Traveling during peak holiday time, so I might be stuck for a few days before the next available flight... And I'd miss the next two flights to Flor and Rio. LATAM will NOT re-book me for my Brazil tickets if this first flight is delayed.
- LATAM says I might have to pick up my bags in LIM and go through security/customs even if Alaska tags it to SCL
- Can I assume that LATAM will get me on the next available flight to Santiago only? Or can I ask them to book me a flight to go to Rio?
- No refund or changes allowed for my Los Angeles -> Santiago flight
- What should I do to prepare for my missed connection in Lima and potentially missing my separate flights to Brazil?
- Should I plan to stay longer in Santiago book new a flight from SCL to Rio later? Not sure how many days would be safe since it's peak holiday travel season

Dec 21-Dec 22 TICKET #1

SEA-LAX (Alaska Airlines)

1.5 hour layover

LAX-LIM (LATAM)
>>> 1.5 hour layover <<<
>>>> BAGGAGE RE-CHECK AND CUSTOMS/SECURITY

LIM-SCL (LATAM)

Dec 23 TICKET #2

SCL-FLN (Florianopolis, Brazil)

Dec 27 TICKET #3

FLN-GIG (Rio De Janeiro)
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Why do you think rechecking luggage is necessary at LIM? Do you have separate tickets from SEA to LIM and LIM to SCL?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:47 pm

International connections in LIM do not require you to exit security, claim bags, etc. There is an airside connection where you simply pass through a security check (metal detector) and then head back to the gate. In addition, Latam flights from LAX-LIM-SCL usually keep the same aircraft so it's just a layover rather than a connection, and you may not need to deplane in LIM at all. I would check with Latam (not Alaska) as they will know much better how their own flights are operated.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jlc201
International connections in LIM do not require you to exit security, claim bags, etc. There is an airside connection where you simply pass through a security check (metal detector) and then head back to the gate. In addition, Latam flights from LAX-LIM-SCL usually keep the same aircraft so it's just a layover rather than a connection, and you may not need to deplane in LIM at all. I would check with Latam (not Alaska) as they will know much better how their own flights are operated.
Flights 601/600 are "one stop" (almost always same plane and crew) LAX (LIM) SCL. If the LAX/SCL is on a 2xxx series flight, there be a change of plane. Also, it is possible than 601 will connect @ LIM to another SCL flight.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Flights 601/600 are "one stop" (almost always same plane and crew) LAX (LIM) SCL. If the LAX/SCL is on a 2xxx series flight, there be a change of plane. Also, it is possible than 601 will connect @ LIM to another SCL flight.
Its 2xxx and then a 6xx
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miikkak
Why do you think rechecking luggage is necessary at LIM? Do you have separate tickets from SEA to LIM and LIM to SCL?
one ticket. latam said I might possibly have to get it again and go thru security again. but they dont know nor can anyone confirm
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by orangawang
one ticket. latam said I might possibly have to get it again and go thru security again. but they dont know nor can anyone confirm
99% odds that your bag is properly tagged through. Insure it is when you first check the bag, that all the flight numbers are on the tag (and on your claim check).

You will have to proceed through transit security to get to your connecting flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.