Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM bag retag for separate PNRs JAC-LAX-SCL and SCL-EZE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Hi folks,

My partner and I are travelling one a Oneworld RTW ticket (DONE4). As part of that we are travelling today on AA JAC-LAX then LA LAX-SCL.

We then have a separate PNR from Chile - Argentina (SCL-EZE) with only a couple of hours between. Ie, we are only intending to transit SCL.

AA have refused to check all the way through to EZE and have also refused to short check to LAX ('security reasons') - we were hoping plan B would be to collect bags and recheck with LATAM at LAX.

Does anyone have any experience with having LA retag bags either at LAX or SCL at the transit desks without having to collect and recheck ourselves?

I'm aware of the risk of relying on baggage services to find the correct bags and retag them correctly

We are hoping to avoid having to exit through customs at SCL because as Australians we'll be slugged a big visa fee for the privilege of being 'in Chile' for the time it takes to walk from the exit to checkin and back through security.

Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
I'm sorry, but the chance is next to none. LATAM doesn't do baggage through on separate tickets, even less to retag bags.

Make sure your fare for SCL-EZE has baggage allowance or you buy it online, or you are going to have less time to make the connection
Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Semphyra
I'm sorry, but the chance is next to none. LATAM doesn't do baggage through on separate tickets, even less to retag bags.
Hmm I suspected as much. Although I didn't expect UL to retag for me on this trip in CMB and they were happy to on a separate inbound and outbound PNR (DONE4 started in CMB with a seaparate ticket to get there). Guess we'll see soon. We also have a separate LA booking IGU-GRU then back onto the DONE4 to CDG so assume we'll have to recheck there too.

Make sure your fare for SCL-EZE has baggage allowance or you buy it online, or you are going to have less time to make the connection
We are Oneworld Emerald/Sapphire so baggage allowance isnt an issue.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

As it turned out the transit desk in SCL was happy to retag the bag to help us avoid having to go through customs and pay the fee, and the bag made it .

Unsure how much our status influenced their helpfulness so YMMV in other scenarios.
jdhnyc likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mushion22
As it turned out the transit desk in SCL was happy to retag the bag to help us avoid having to go through customs and pay the fee, and the bag made it .

Unsure how much our status influenced their helpfulness so YMMV in other scenarios.
Wow, does that mean that there are moments, where common sense prevails with LA employees?

Just two days ago, checking in at SCL, I was refused the through-tag of my luggage despite being on a fully LA-operated itinerary in C and holding their second-highest status which equals OW Emerald.

In a quite snappy tone and full of this unmistakable Chilean service-mindedness, the agent told me that she would not combine two separate PNRs, since this was „technically impossible“. I am well aware of LA‘s and OW‘s reluctance to do so and hence did not argue, but this policy is just utterly stupid.

For a moment, I thought of approaching the transfer desk at GRU to ask for a retag, but I did not want to lose precious time on a relatively short connection and risk our bags being left behind. All worked out fine and we went through passport control, re-check (btw, nice new dedicated Black / Black Signature check-in at GRU), security and passport again with time to spare, but you have to be prepared for this kind of adventure, when travelling with LA on two (or more) PNRs.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

I suspect it might have just been that they were willing to help us avoid the reciprocal visa fee that Australians are charged. I'm not expecting the same when on two PNRs from IGU to GRU then GRU to CDG later this week.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

As suspected, no dice at IGU when trying to through check from a LA PNR back onto the UL PNR, despite LA actually having their own PNR.

They did actually try, and after many confused looks at the computers and taking us to the ticket desk, they announced they wouldn't do it as the onward ticket was booked through UL, despite it being a LA flight and LA creating their own PNR for the ticket. I get the impression it was just too hard rather than not possible, but we'll never know.

Glad we allowed some time at GRU and flights are currently on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.