Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Recent Award Availability thru Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, Hyatt

New to forum - have done a quick lookthru at recent threads but haven't seen this being raised.

I am specifically looking at JFK-GRU flight redemption on flight 8181 / 8180. When I was looking about 2 months ago many seats (in many cases, at least 9 seats) were available on most dates in Aug / Sep to partners. However, when I checked in the last week or two on BA / AA and called CX MPC (our FF program there), availabilities zeroed out across all dates. I checked the loading of the flights on EF and they remain light.

Is this a temporary system thing (although have lasted quite a few days now) or did LATAM decide to pull all availabilities at least on this route from partners?

Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awards often need to booked many more months ahead than paid flights. If you see awards, don't hesitate, if your dates are firm already at least, because award availability can go "poof" at any time.

Airlines don't like people who would pay for flights to book awards. So they make awards available further out from the travel date, when few people book paid flights, and then when more people book paid flights (closer to the travel date), they often take away award availability, to nudge people to actually pay money for the flight.

And/or 9 people (perhaps a group) may have booked those awards seats in the intervening months. Remember, you're never the only one looking for awards.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, Hyatt
Thanks for your response. I am a FF and well experienced with award availability nuances and fluctuations. The probability is simply too low for all availabilities across several months to be gone suddenly just because other pax booked all of them. I am confident it is event driven, and was wondering if anyone is in the know.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
Thanks for your response. I am a FF and well experienced with award availability nuances and fluctuations. The probability is simply too low for all availabilities across several months to be gone suddenly just because other pax booked all of them. I am confident it is event driven, and was wondering if anyone is in the know.
LATAM will inexplicably make 9 seats available then pull it back a few days later. Keep checking and it might come back.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dc10forlife
LATAM will inexplicably make 9 seats available then pull it back a few days later. Keep checking and it might come back.
Yes, this is my experience. LATAM will make 7 seats available one day, and the next they'll be gone. Sometimes, the availability does come back, although I don't think there's rhyme or reason to it.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PacificSunrise
The event seems to be LATAM flipping coins on a regular basis: "Should we display award availability today? Heads yes, tails no."

The only external "event" that I could think of that would last months would simply be seasons. For example, I can imagine them not making awards available to the southern tip during Antarctica sailing season, and stuff like that.
Sonny84 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Can also attest to this... About a week or two out to fly when it happened. Really screwed me and ended up have to fly 2 and 1 on consecutive days... Availability never did come back despite seats not being full...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.