Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on Questons

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Carry on Questons

Just got off phone with LATAM and not perfectly clear about bringing on a CPAP as an uncounted item. They pointed me to a Medical Form that had to be filled out by a doctor.... Is this necessary for a CPAP? Flying MIA->SCL, SCL->GRU, GRU->JNB

Also... how strict are they about weighing carry-ons for busines class?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: IB Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, NH Titanium
No idea about the CPAP.

On weighing carry-ons for business class, I never saw that happening. If your SCL/GRU is on a single-aisle plane (A320/A321, which would mean your are technically on Premium Economy) they might be a little picky on the size of it (to be sure it fits in the overhead bing) but hardly on the weight.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by nutsbr
No idea about the CPAP.

On weighing carry-ons for business class, I never saw that happening. If your SCL/GRU is on a single-aisle plane (A320/A321, which would mean your are technically on Premium Economy) they might be a little picky on the size of it (to be sure it fits in the overhead bing) but hardly on the weight.
There's no premium economy on the 321s. I believe they've got some "space plus." I wouldn't expect much issue in the Preferente line (which includes Business and Premium Y), but for any other line, good luck. On rare occasion, I've had my premium travel carry on weighed at check in. Brazil has special rules (much more limited weight) - as a connecting passenger, you're probably ok. Note that liquids restrictions are strictly enforced during transit security @ GRU, and you can expect that any "typically permitted" medical liquids will be pulled w/o a prescription (such as contact lens solution, etc.) Also note that the gate sizers at most of the airports have built in scales. Also note that there are frequently roving agents that will eye bags that appear to be oversized and will attempt to pull them, prior to boarding. Many airports have "boxes" with the bottom end cut out and they'll try and put them over your bag - if it doesn't fit, there goes your bag.

All that said, I've never had an issue on intra-South America flights in the Preferente line (traveling Business and Premium Y).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Thank you nutsbr and Eastbay1k! We are flying 789-789-763, so all wide body metal in Business. Thank for the heads up on OTC Liquids!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.