Search

New? Boarding Procedures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
New? Boarding Procedures

It has been a while since I've been on a flight out of SCL that wasn't either long haul or from a bus gate. Today's domestic boarding (regular gate) really surprised me as we approached the gate. There was the Preferente Line, and then the Windows Line, the Middles line, and the Aisles line. As I booked adjoining aisles, the "oh eff, I hope the bins don't fill up" distress started. The plane wasn't too full, so that didn't end up being an issue, but this boarding procedure surprised me. (A/K, then B/J, then C/H)

The new Priority Pass lounge (near the far end of the terminal) is not bad.

(See below for update on other "newer" boarding procedure.)

Last edited by Eastbay1K; Jan 3, 2019 at 6:17 am
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Eastbay1K's info is helpful. I have questions about a domestic LAN flight next week (SCL-Puerto Montt).

1. The reminder e-mail from LATAM advises arriving three hours prior to departure for domestic (and four hours international). Are they insane? Wife and I are using metro to Pajaritos, and then bus to airport.
2. LAN's allowed coach carryon's are one 9 x 13 x 21 item up to 8kg and a personal item. The example picture on LATAM's USA website shows an 8 x 14 x 18 backpack as the personal item to be stowed under seat, which seems large to me. Wife and I never check anything. Think a medium backpack + shoulder bag or fanny pack would pass -- even if the large item is a little big. In other words, does LATAM go full Spirit Airlines with check bag sizers and scales?
3. Priority Pass lounge in SCL's domestic terminal? That's great! The Priority Pass website says it's the "Primeclass Condor Lounge" on the third floor next to gate 26. Correct?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

3 hours is crazy. All check in is via kiosk and then you go to bag drop if you have one. But 2 hours is not unreasonable. Security line can take 15+ minutes. You can expect agents to be looking closely at your bag(s) while in the boarding area. Last year, on a SCL/EZE flight, the agent was walking around with a box the size of permitted carry on and putting them next to bags she thought might be too large. The bag sizers have built in scales. I haven't had one weighed in some time, but expect that it could occur. Last time in PMC (some time ago), she made everyone weigh carry on at bag drop - mine was overweight but I took something out and was good to go. Tomorrow, we'll see (leaving PMC again).

I think part of the current time warning is how congested it can be to just get into the airport at certain hours due to all the construction.

And yes, that is the lounge - far end of the terminal upstairs near Gate 26.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
Yeah! It’s a new boarding process for domestic flights.

I believe is to have a better turnaround time for the planes, since they need to improve every nook and cranny to stay competitive against the low-cost carriers. Must be troublesome for families traveling together, tough
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PMC also has a new(er) procedure.. (1) Special assistance (2) Preferente (3) Those with a small personal item or willing to gate check the carry on (in which case, I'd rather board last), and (4) everyone else. It actually worked pretty well, and I don't think there were any forced gate checked items on a 1 cabin A321 (which I have rated as a plane I wouldn't want to be on any longer than I was, even in an aisle seat.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bowgie
2. LAN's allowed coach carryon's are one 9 x 13 x 21 item up to 8kg and a personal item. The example picture on LATAM's USA website shows an 8 x 14 x 18 backpack as the personal item to be stowed under seat, which seems large to me. Wife and I never check anything. Think a medium backpack + shoulder bag or fanny pack would pass -- even if the large item is a little big. In other words, does LATAM go full Spirit Airlines with check bag sizers and scales?
Having just flown from PMC yesterday, you can plan on not getting away with much. While the carry on wasn't weighed at bag drop (as they've done in the past), at the gate area, the agent was eyeing bags, and she put the sizer "box" over at least one bag. I'd say some were a bit wide, but none were any taller than mine. A standard Kirkland roller bag would have stood out. Perhaps if you're Preferente, they take a blind eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.