Search

LATAM with an infant

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Question LATAM with an infant

Hello,

Does anyone know if LATAM charge for car seats and foldable strollers in the hold for a lap infant? From what I'm reading online and the Facebook contact I've had with them I would need to pay $90 per item as additional luggage (but this still isn't clear).

Unfortunately the route I want to take only has economy fares so only has 1 baggage of 23kg per person and they don't have the option to buy extra in advance.

Does anyone have experience with LATAM and travelling with a lap infant that might be able to clarify if my assumption is correct?

It's really frustrating that they seem to charge extortionate prices no one else seems to do. I can get the pram and car seat from LHR-GRU (free), GRU-VVI (small charge for car seat), VVI-CBB (small charge for both), CBB-LPB (small charge for both) and SCL-LHR (free) but really begrudge having to pay $180 to travel with them between Bolivia to Chile (LPB-SCL).

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: LATAM Black
Don't know about the car seat, but I have travelled with stroller many times without any charges
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
Don't know about the car seat, but I have travelled with stroller many times without any charges
Was that in the hold or in the cabin?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: LATAM Black
Bringing the stroller to the plane, but leaving it outside. Pick up at arrival just outside the plane.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExP 1MM, Smiles/GOL Diamond, TudoAzul/AZUL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
Bringing the stroller to the plane, but leaving it outside. Pick up at arrival just outside the plane.
That's the strategy.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
As an Aussie living in Brazil with 2 young kids, I've done plenty of GRU-SYD flights with kids on Latam. There is no charge for carseats or strollers for infants that are flying with you.
At some airports you can check your own stroller with your luggage & they will give you a Latam one to use in the airport that you can leave at the gate. Some airports don't have this & you need to use your own stroller to the gate & they drop it into the hold at airplane door.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate
As an Aussie living in Brazil with 2 young kids, I've done plenty of GRU-SYD flights with kids on Latam. There is no charge for carseats or strollers for infants that are flying with you.
At some airports you can check your own stroller with your luggage & they will give you a Latam one to use in the airport that you can leave at the gate. Some airports don't have this & you need to use your own stroller to the gate & they drop it into the hold at airplane door.
Does the route you are travelling on make a different? Latam UK on Facebook are telling me I have to pay for both to be in the hold or bring them into the cabin for free. Doesn't work with a lap infant and a stroller that isn't suitable for a cabin.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Latampass Black
Last time I flew internationally with my kids on Latam was January 2017. Latam's website is now referencing tickets purchased BEFORE May 18th, 2017, so there was obviously a policy change at that time. It now says you can check one piece of luggage & take on board a car seat, foldaway stroller or bassinet.

Maybe you can check the stroller as luggage & take the carseat onboard?

Is this all on one ticket & all with Latam? If so, Latam will take the most generous baggage allowance from any leg & apply it to all of the legs. So if they don't charge you from LHR-GRU, that same allowance should apply for all legs.

https://www.latam.com/en_uk/travel-i...ecked-baggage/
"On LATAM itineraries, the most permissive baggage allowance will apply when the entire itinerary is on the same reservation."
Old Feb 8, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate
Is this all on one ticket & all with Latam?."
No, it's just a way to get between Bolivia and Chile. I don't have any other options but using Latam (or stopovers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.