Wiki Posts
Search

IAD counter hours

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
IAD counter hours

Anyone knows when the LATAM counter at IAD opens?? i have a international-to-international connection, arriving at 3PM and leaving later in the night (11PM) with LATAM flight to Lima. Any chance to drop my baggage early? or should i wait until 3-4 hours before the flight departure?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
I'm not familiar with LA operation there, but, since it is the only flight that LATAM operates ex-IAD I will venture and say that it probably opens at T-3, it wouldn't make sense to have a full counter staffed for just 300 passengers.

edit: just checked, having 4fxw, I doubt you will be able to check in early. Sorry...
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by MfromL
I'm not familiar with LA operation there, but, since it is the only flight that LATAM operates ex-IAD I will venture and say that it probably opens at T-3, it wouldn't make sense to have a full counter staffed for just 300 passengers.

edit: just checked, having 4fxw, I doubt you will be able to check in early. Sorry...
I thought so ... what about counter opening T-4? or it's always T-3?

Here goes another a question, if i got my baggage labelled to my final destination, there is any "transit/baggage-only counter" where i can drop my baggage? like they do in LAX with pax connecting intl-dom.

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Gio Salinas
I thought so ... what about counter opening T-4? or it's always T-3?

Here goes another a question, if i got my baggage labelled to my final destination, there is any "transit/baggage-only counter" where i can drop my baggage? like they do in LAX with pax connecting intl-dom.

Thanks!
About T-3/4: I'm not sure, you should give them a call (they number appears in the airport's website) and check.

If you are entering the US in IAH, then you have to pick up your bags, pass customs and then recheck them with the airline. Are you flying with a OW airline? If so they might check you to final destination, however some won't. When I've connected to South America from Europe via de US I've never had issues if I'm flying with the same company (for this purpose, AA). If you are flying not OW to OW, then bad luck.

Since LATAM has a restricted operation in IAD I'm not sure if they will allow a transit bag or you would have to re-check them in the counter. Flying from South America to the US you can interline between LA and AA or AA and AA, but to me, it seems that that part of the logistics are handled by AA, rather than the originating airline. LA does not have an agent in MIA or JFK waiting for interlining lugagge, AA does.

In any case, you have time, so relax and enjoy the airport.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:20 pm

Counter opened at 6:30 pm with 10:05 pm departure
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:10 pm

It will close permanently on Feb 28th
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:20 pm

why is it closing permanently?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
why is it closing permanently?
The flight has been cancelled effective March 1. See this thread for more discussion.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:33 am

Thanks. Good to know! I had no idea. Luckily my flight next week (Feb 14) made the cut

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.