Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

3 Upgrade Coupons - US Bank LAN Visa Signature

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott, Hyatt

Hi All,

I am trying to clarify the terms of the US Bank Lan Pass Visa Signature card. It says that you get 3 upgrade coupons upon your card anniversary. The language indicates you will need to incur $15K of spending in subsequent years to maintain ("renew") receipt of these 3 coupons but it's not clear if you need to do $15K in spending in your first year of you just get them automatically the first year. Can anyone confirm this?

This is the ambiguous language from Latam's site which similarly mirrors the US Bank language:

LATAM Visa Signature Cardmembers only will receive three LATAM Airlines one-way Upgrade Coupons every year to be used by the cardmember. The Upgrade Coupons will appear in cardmember’s LATAM Pass account upon eligibility and may be viewed at www.latam.com/latam-pass. To renew this benefit, the cardmember must have net spending of at least $15,000 each calendar year. Upgrades must be redeemed on our website between 48 hours and 2 hours before the flight’s departure time. Upgrade coupons are subject to space availability, and some routes may require more than 1 coupon and the payment of a minimum fare. For information regarding LATAM Pass upgrades coupon requirements, please visit www.latam.com/latam-pass.

Thank you for your help!

Steven
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
At least last year they would give you the coupons when you open the account (1st year runs from then). However, and they don't say this: you have to be a premium (ruby or higher, but with LATAM) to use them. If you do not have status you won't be able to apply them to any purchase and they'll sleep in your account forever. And even if you are, it is a bit tricky. (I had to go to their office to do it in person)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:28 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
At least with other credit card coupons it isn't a requirement to have elite status (though you do get lowest priority).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay in getting back, should have put tracking on this post! So I see the 3 in my account (it's my first year) but I understand they expire after a calendar year and then you need to spend $15K each calendar year to get them. But you have no way to use them unless you have ruby or higher?!

Andreadbc which other credit cards?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:57 pm

do you have business in any latin american country? If you do, you can always get one in a local bank. BBVA Francés in Argentina has a credit card with LATAM; BCP in Peru has another; Santander in Chile; etc.

I think that some of the Santander cards come with automatic Gold status, not sure about BBVA or BCP
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MfromL
do you have business in any latin american country? If you do, you can always get one in a local bank. BBVA Francés in Argentina has a credit card with LATAM; BCP in Peru has another; Santander in Chile; etc.

I think that some of the Santander cards come with automatic Gold status, not sure about BBVA or BCP
I am finalizing work status in Peru and will try for the BCP but in reading here, doesn't seem like upgrade coupons are provided:

https://www.latam.com/es_pe/latam-pa...cp-latam-pass/

So how do these coupons work then? Do they automatically offer to apply them when you are purchasing a ticket so that in the case that you don't have status, they simply won't offer them but if you do, they come up during the process where you purchase the ticket?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:13 pm

aparently bcp gives you coupons with low priority.

no idea on how they worked, i only used coupons while having status with latam
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
There exists a card that gives you Gold status with Latam in Peru: https://www.visa-infinite.com/pe-bcp
However, it is not available to the general public. You must be part of Banco de Crédito's Enalta program (elite customer segment).

If true, I find it kind of shady that the US Latam card gives you the upgrade coupons but no way to use them, with no disclosure. Almost false advertising!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gatito
There exists a card that gives you Gold status with Latam in Peru: https://www.visa-infinite.com/pe-bcp
However, it is not available to the general public. You must be part of Banco de Crédito's Enalta program (elite customer segment).

If true, I find it kind of shady that the US Latam card gives you the upgrade coupons but no way to use them, with no disclosure. Almost false advertising!
I managed to status match to Gold on LATAM but they did not give me the 25 segments to start. I was hoping I only would have 20 segments to get to Platinum but I'm stuck having to get 45 now. As a Gold, will I have access to the upgrade certs and any thoughts on if I can get them to honor the segments that come with Gold?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:47 am

I have oneworld emerald status from AA platinum status. LATAM equates this to LATAM Platinum on their website. I have no direct status with LATAM. Will this oneworld status allow me to use the upgrade coupons I would receive from the LATAM Visa promotion on a LATAM flight? How many coupons are needed for a MIA-SCl flight upgrading from economy to premium economy? How difficult are these upgrades to get on these flights using these upgrade coupons?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:38 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by lotusfla
Will this oneworld status allow me to use the upgrade coupons I would receive from the LATAM Visa promotion on a LATAM flight? How many coupons are needed for a MIA-SCl flight upgrading from economy to premium economy?
you can use the coupons even if you have no status, I don't think that LATAM will consider OW status on the priority criteria for upgrades... You'd need 3 coupons for upgrade to Business (I believe MIA-SCL doesn't have PE)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.