Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Failure of LATAM to Honor OneWorld Agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum

Today I flew LATAM from CJC to SCL with a connection to BA 250 SCL-LHR.

1. LATAM refused to check bags through to LHR, CJC-SCL-LHR. Rationale... it is another airline. After 15 minutes of repeating... I want to speak to the manager... they checked the bags but said... they will not get to London.

2. LATAM also refused to issue boarding pass for BA flight. LATAM would not print the boarding pass in Santiago. I printed at a public print spot. With a five hour layover, BA check-in desk not open.

Needless to say, frustrating given I am on a OneWold RTW ticket.

One ticket, one fare basis.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The baggage deal isn't even a Oneworld thing - it is any airline they have an interline baggage agreement with on the same ticket.

I'd expect your bags to make it to LHR (although maybe you went to the carousel to insure they weren't spinning around @ SCL).

Very disappointing.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
I did not go to the baggage carousel and hope that was not a mistake. They even put on a "Conexion" tag despite 15 minutes of telling me that it was not possible.

I even showed them the interlining and ticketing from the GDS.

W/*LA‡*BA«
LA-045 LATAM AIRLINES GROUP/LATAM AIRLINES GROUP S.A

MAY ISSUE TICKETS INCLUDING
BA-125 BRITISH AIRWAYS/BRITISH AIRWAYS PLC

MAY CHECK BAGGAGE TO
BA

Very frustrating.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Welcome to the wonderful world of LATAM Customer "Service!" The staff is not above finding some new rule (even one just made up) to not do something that is actual written policy. Showing them the GDS printout at an out station doesn't mean that their going to follow the rules. I've never had a problem interlining bags from LATAM to AA, AS, or BA before so it sounds like a local "rule" to me. I'm assuming that you were legal as far as MCT at SCL so there really shouldn't have been an issue.

I'm wondering if the CJC ground people might have been on loan to/from LIM since this sounds like the kind of thing that happens all the time there.

Of course, it's LATAM so YMMV!

Last edited by ttuna3; Sep 9, 2017 at 4:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 9, 2017, 6:51 am
Original Poster

5 hour connection at SCL. I really enjoyed them saying over and over again... not possible... it is a different company. Anyway, now in London with my bags but... my view of LATAM customer service remains where it was before... very low.
jcelio and zpaul like this.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Latampass Black
Ground service has always been Lan(Latam's) weakest link.

Whilst you can regularly find good service in the air, finding the same on the ground is quite rare!
zpaul likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Today I flew LATAM from CJC to SCL with a connection to BA 250 SCL-LHR.

1. LATAM refused to check bags through to LHR, CJC-SCL-LHR. Rationale... it is another airline. After 15 minutes of repeating... I want to speak to the manager... they checked the bags but said... they will not get to London.

2. LATAM also refused to issue boarding pass for BA flight. LATAM would not print the boarding pass in Santiago. I printed at a public print spot. With a five hour layover, BA check-in desk not open.

Needless to say, frustrating given I am on a OneWold RTW ticket.

One ticket, one fare basis.
One post, one thread. frustrations aside, why double post? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...agreement.html
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:44 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
LA isn't unique in this frustration. I recently flew MIA-(AA)-LAX-(QF)-SYD as part of my xONEx ticket with about a 1:30 connection in LAX. AA in MIA refused to issue my BP for the subsequent QF sector LAX-SYD. They said "can't do it, something in the system". Clearly trying to get a BP in LAX during a 1:30 connex is stressful - even if flights are on time.

To the OP, was there a ticketing problem (as there was with my BA issued ticket) that stopped LA issuing your BA BP?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:48 am
Original Poster

No ticketing problem. LATAM just did not want to bother doing anything other than providing carriage to SCL. I always like it when they say... see BA at SCL when the BA check-in does not open until 3 hours before the flight. With no boarding pass, I was unable to proceed through immigration and security to the lounge. But... the information desk at Gate 2 of International Departures has a computer with a free printer capability so... I was able to go there and print my boarding pass. For better or worse, at least I had a five hour connection.

BA suggested I file a complaint with LATAM. Now that is a really useless idea!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Quickest way to get LATAM to do something is to put a nasty post on their social media pages (I've always had good luck with Facebook). The social media team has been able to work wonders for me in the past. Putting in a straight complaint usually has things disappear into the Back Orifice for "processing" which historically has take months to resolve (it took them almost 6 months to send me a LANPass Comodoro (OWE) card a couple of years back) so the social media route is the best way to get them to pay attention.

Of course it also might be the the Cuetos check to see what's happening there as well so the social media team is trying to keep ahead of the curve before the big bosses start asking questions about why people are making the airline look like an arrogant fool that really doesn't care about their customers. There are a lot people who look at the social media sites to see how companies deal with CS issues and LATAM has been trying to look like they're a kinder, gentler airline over the last couple of years on the social sites.

Of course it's LATAM so YMMV

Last edited by ttuna3; Sep 13, 2017 at 6:03 pm Reason: Typo
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
so its a good place to ask about the lounge at Lima , or the lack of same........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.