Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM is holding my laptop hostage - how to free it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

On 1 July, I traveled O/W biz from SCL-LIM on a ticket booked with AA miles.

Sadly, I forgot my laptop in the SCL LATAM lounge. When I arrived in LIM, I informed LATAM check-in supervisor (baggage office was already closed as it was late night), who called the lounge. They located the laptop and placed it in secure storage. I was told that LATAM could forward the laptop on to Lima in a day or two after signing some forms. With a return to US on July 9, it seemed like plenty of time.

On July 2, I received the form via e-mail. On July 3, I sent the form back via e-mail. On July 4, I departed for a four-day hike with no Internet. On July 7, I got back online and was told they needed the form again (duplicate or something). On July 8, I went to the baggage office in Lima, signed the original form + a customs form, and received an FP (found property number). On July 9, with no further word, I went back to the baggage office and was told that SCL baggage still had no responded. The only way to contact them is via e-mail - no phone number (for that matter, LIM has no phone # either, just e-mail, and LATAM customer service center cannot connect you to any airport's baggage office). Maybe they don't work weekends; no one knew nor had any way to check.

Advice was to take my flight home on July 9 and request forwarding to LAX - closest airport to home where LATAM flies. Now several days later I am back in USA, no laptop, and LIM insists that SCL continues to be unresponsive even though the item is registered in their lost & found system and has an FP#

I know LATAM is among the worst of the worst, but any advice on how to prod them? LIM baggage office discouraged me from flying to SCL, fearing I would encounter the same bureaucratic stonewalling. I have published the full story on LATAM Facebook wall and gotten a response that says to please send us your deets.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt DIA, IHG PLT AMB, TK Elite Gold, SPG Gold
It never hurts to use Twitter too!

my twitter profile is just for talking to airlines and hotel groups.

Let us know about any news

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.