Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM Status Match 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
I get that, which is exactly why I think a challenge is the fairest way. Give out temporary 3 month status, and see whether the customer will actually fly the airline. For example, why would someone in South America with Avianca *G be booking flights with LATAM without status with them? It's absurd. The challenge gives incentive without making the airline give away full on status to just anyone. It's worked well for the Big 3 in the US.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Latampass Black
I think it works in the US because those airlines are often going head to head on the same routes, giving the customer a choice between which to use.

In South America, there is very little competition on most routes. Latam dominates obviously, but hardly even tries to compete on some other quite major routes. eg. Sao Paulo - Buenoes Aires (2 flights per day), Rio de Janeiro - Buenos Aires (1 flight per day). Latam has basically just given these routes to Aerolineas Argentinas & Gol. So if that is your most regular flight, then Latam is not the airline you want status with.

But Latam dominates the continent for most destinations & you don't really have the "choice" of using another alliance. Whilst you can find a different airline on many routes, you can't find a different airline that is the same alliance for most. eg. The two biggest competitors to Latam are Gol & Azul, both of whom are Brazilian based & focused & not a part of any alliance. Avianca is OK if you're Colombia based but if you want to fly anywhere other than the major city in Chile, Argentina, Peru, Brazil (SAO + Rio)etc, you'll need to fly or connect with someone else.

So my point is, Latam don't need to offer someone a "challenge". Either the person is flying in South America (in which case they will have one Latam flight) & they will status match them, or they're not flying in South America & they won't. The number who ARE flying in South America that don't have a single Latam flight would be very small I guess.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by zeer0
Well then I guess I won't be seeing what the "pleasures" of OneWorld are beyond this one trip. I do find it frustrating how difficult it is to status match nowadays. It seems like every single program needs proof of a flight taken before. The whole point of a status match though is to give you incentive to fly with the given airline/alliance. Why would you be flying with them before if you had status with someone else. I don't really understand the reasoning.

Challenges make more sense either way, you get temporary status and then prove that you're actually going to be flying the airline regularly. Too bad only airlines in the US seem to do it this way.
You're joking, right?

I know of several people who have booked a LATAM flight just to status match to LATAM Black emerald, never fly them again, and then just use their status to fly AA CX BA etc on their normal routes and never step on a LA flight again

If you think flying one segment on LATAM is onerous, I've got news for you
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
You're joking, right?

I know of several people who have booked a LATAM flight just to status match to LATAM Black emerald, never fly them again, and then just use their status to fly AA CX BA etc on their normal routes and never step on a LA flight again

If you think flying one segment on LATAM is onerous, I've got news for you
Yea but just buying a flight on LATAM isn't enough. You can have a ton of bookings with them, but you won't get status matched unless you've taken a flight already.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jimmielin
*G to Platinum. Took about a dozen calls, four emails and countless twitter DMs to get it through. Done in May, matched until March 2018.
Sounds like LATAM is still matching to March 2018. I am holding off until they start status matching until March 2019. Any idea when that would happen? Any more recent reports than May?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt DIA, IHG PLT AMB, TK Elite Gold, SPG Gold
Contacted them by twitter. I will keep you posted untill/if they are gonna match me.

I hope for it. Will spend 2months in GRU
Old Aug 24, 2017, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by PhilHugi
Contacted them by twitter. I will keep you posted untill/if they are gonna match me.

I hope for it. Will spend 2months in GRU
Any luck with your status match?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
You have to submit boarding passes for at least one flight with them

would an award ticket count?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Nope
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

I didn't need to submit boarding passes but YMMV. The ticket numbers were sufficient.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
I'm in the process or requesting a match right now. I reached out via email, FB and Twitter.

FWIW, so far I've found the twitter team to be the most responsive.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
I just got my AB status matched (AB platinum to LA Black), and I originally reached out to twitter about a week and a half ago. The status is valid til March 2019!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just wondering:
Do you get the upgrade vouchers as well?

The reason I am asking is that my girl-friend and I will be going to South America over NYE.
I would want to fly IGR-EZE-SCL-LIM.

I am BA Gold (OW Emerald) and A3 Gold, my girl-friend is only BA Silver (OW Sapphire).
So we already have all the Oneworld benefits, but it would be great if we could book economy tickets and fly EZE-SCL and SCL-LIM (stopover in SCL) on the 787 in business class.
I flew LA FRA-MAD-FRA earlier this year (without my girl-friend), so I would be eligible.
The only question is if it would make sense...
If we don't get upgrade vouchers for my girl-friend, then there wouldn't be much point.
I've heard that OW Emerald gets matched to LATAM Black.

Also, I read that the vouchers are only valid until March 31 every year.
Assuming my Black status would be valid until March 31, 2019, would I get a new set of vouchers on April 1, 2018?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Just wondering:
Do you get the upgrade vouchers as well?
Yes.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thanks.
And you get new vouchers automatically at the beginning of April?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.