Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM Award space not showing up on BA.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM Award space not showing up on BA.com?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by alien43
I am looking for LATAM availability for IGU - RIO (GIG, SDU) on December 30-31. BA shows nothing. Qantas shows nothing either. However, when I search for IGU - SAO (GRU, CGH) with Qantas, it shows availability for a connection flight via SDU.

What is the source of truth here? Is there a reasonable way to check availablity online? I am going to call up BA agents but looking at the experiences above, they don't always see it either.
BA will price connecting flights individually, so the GRU-SDU (or GRU-GIG) leg will cost you an additional 4,500 Avios. Since a GRU-SDU bought far in advance can cost as little as $20 each way, I'd recommend issuing the IGU-GRU flight with Avios, and paying cash for the second leg (avoid connecting through different airports in Sao Paulo). If you book everything on Latam you'll be able to check your bags through, etc.

Since IGU-GIG is very sought after by tourists, I can understand there will be no Avios availability.
alien43 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks RafKa! What I don't understand is doesn't award availability for IGU-SDU-CGH entail availability for IGU-SDU?

To make things worse, now qantas.com also displays some flaky results. I don't know what to ask the BA agent for.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Thanks RafKa! What I don't understand is doesn't award availability for IGU-SDU-CGH entail availability for IGU-SDU?

To make things worse, now qantas.com also displays some flaky results. I don't know what to ask the BA agent for.
I didn't realize you meant Qantas was showing IGU-SDU-GRU. That's strange, as I don't think Latam flies IGU-SDU.

Trust me - nothing makes sense when searching for Latam awards on BA. Sometimes there are 9 seats available on a certain flight, and the next day, none.
alien43 and email2markt like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by RafKa
I didn't realize you meant Qantas was showing IGU-SDU-GRU. That's strange, as I don't think Latam flies IGU-SDU.

Trust me - nothing makes sense when searching for Latam awards on BA. Sometimes there are 9 seats available on a certain flight, and the next day, none.
Google Flights shows weekend flights IGU-SDU, probably targeted for tourists, as you mentioned.

Yes, for award search this has been my experience as well. The bitter thing is that I fail to find a good alternative.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The issue, at least as I see it, is not finding intra-SA award space. The issue is finding any space between NA and SA. Even on routes like MEX-LIM and MEX-SCL—traditionally easy routes for awards—availability pretty much dried up.
Have you managed to find NA to SA (or vice versa) award space on LAN? I'm searching almost everyday for JFK/LAX to SCL/LIM and still nothing shows up...I'm looking at 2019.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
Have you managed to find NA to SA (or vice versa) award space on LAN? I'm searching almost everyday for JFK/LAX to SCL/LIM and still nothing shows up...I'm looking at 2019.
I would try searching MIA. I’ve seen very limited LATAM space in 2019 (I.e., one or two days with J availability). Honestly, I think AA is probably going to have better availability. I also, personally, don’t think LATAM is that much better than AA any more such that I would go out of my way to choose it over AA, if AA options exist on more convenient dates.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite

I would try searching MIA. I’ve seen very limited LATAM space in 2019 (I.e., one or two days with J availability). Honestly, I think AA is probably going to have better availability. I also, personally, don’t think LATAM is that much better than AA any more such that I would go out of my way to choose it over AA, if AA options exist on more convenient dates.
Fair enough, but what I have is a One World Multi-carrier award ticket with Asia Miles to which I want to add NYC-SCL-LAX. Repositioning myself to MIA, will be a pain as I'll be in NYC, already coming off a loooong flight from SIN. Let's see, if nothing opens up closer to my departure date I might just reposition myself. Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:28 pm

Google Flights shows weekend flights IGU-SDU, probably targeted for tourists, as you mentioned.

Yes, for award search this has been my experience as well. The bitter thing is that I fail to find a good alternative.
I decided to keep checking the same flights every day and I have been rewarded - got 2 award tickets on IGU-SDU on December 30th. Happy with the outcome but the process is cumbersome.
RafKa likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
I've been keeping an eye on some LATAM reward flights, there were 7 available Avios seats per flight in both directions for every day during the week i wanted to travel until some point last week. Now all availability for the entire route all season seems to have disappeared (on both BA and Iberia). Is this also normal? Any chance it might come back at some point?

I wondered whether Avios availability might be regularly suppressed while LATAM have sales on, or something like that?

Last edited by email2markt; Sep 9, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by email2markt
I've been keeping an eye on some LATAM reward flights, there were 7 available Avios seats per flight in both directions for every day during the week i wanted to travel until some point last week. Now all availability for the entire route all season seems to have disappeared (on both BA and Iberia). Is this also normal? Any chance it might come back at some point?

I wondered whether Avios availability might be regularly suppressed while LATAM have sales on, or something like that?
This happens a lot with LATAM. There will be 7 available seats one day, and none the next day. I've seen 7 seats go away immediately after I've booked 1-2, so I'm relatively certain it's not that all 7 seats have been booked.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by email2markt

This happens a lot with LATAM. There will be 7 available seats one day, and none the next day. I've seen 7 seats go away immediately after I've booked 1-2, so I'm relatively certain it's not that all 7 seats have been booked.
Just out of curiosity I looked at the SCL-IPC route which has had 7 J seats available on every day since January.2018

Now there are NONE.

Lesson here is that if you see any space on Latam with AVIOS-Book it, as more than likely it will mysteriously disappear.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Yes, irritatingly i've been waiting for BA to refund me some Avios in order to pay for my LATAM flights (for some reason it's taken 4 weeks so far!) and my flights have disappeared in the meantime
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:30 am

What's the story with flights operated by Latam Peru? I see their domestic routes and intra-SA (eg EZE-LIM), but not transatlantic - I am eyeing BCN-LIM-BCN in J, with a lot availability on Iberia but none on BA.
What's up with that?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:55 am

Does anyone have any updates or had luck in booking award tickets (via BA or even Qantas) for North to South America routes, or still nothing?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
I'm seeing a lot of comments here but no definitive answers. 2 hours ago, I searched MIA-SCL and saw 2 direct LATAM flights with a few seats available for several days in both directions. I refreshed the search and now finding 0 availability (only AA flights are showing up). Can someone explain what's going on with the BA search engine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.