Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lanpass v. AA Advantage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MfromL
And apparently due to my status the checkin agent changed my fare class from N to Y (as per my AAAdvantage statement yesterday) and that has allowed me to qualify to gold ahead of time (I have a ORD-MSP that was going to take care of that) in a status challenged I requested a few weeks ago.
Are you sure your fare class changed from N to Y? AA statements post the cabin flown in, not the fare class, and that's they show Y (in that case, simply meaning coach). Only reservation documents show the actual fare class.

And AA EXPs (the equivalent of OW Emerald) don't get fare class changed from N to full-fare Y by AA agents due to their status, so I don't see why OW Ruby's (only the equivalent of AA Gold) would.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by thesofine
Go with AA. I recently was using LAN exclusively but very poor CS has led me back to AA. Now I have to figure out how to use the 200k kms I have accumulated in the past year with LAN.
I think you have to differentiate between CS in the air, which has been consistently first rate in my experience, and ground staff and call center/back room CS which can be either shocking or great but with issues, inability to fix problems, and poor follow through.

My take is that LAN is a 3rd world world airline with all that implies: great when the runes align and you hit the right people with the ability to do what you need, but otherwise not really caring about their customers.

But they never get as bolshy and rude as AA staff at their worst either.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you sure your fare class changed from N to Y? AA statements post the cabin flown in, not the fare class, and that's they show Y (in that case, simply meaning coach). Only reservation documents show the actual fare class.

And AA EXPs (the equivalent of OW Emerald) don't get fare class changed from N to full-fare Y by AA agents due to their status, so I don't see why OW Ruby's (only the equivalent of AA Gold) would.
That's why I said 'apparently'. I'm not sure, haven't called AA yet to see if I qualify for gold. Initially I believed that I was going to get 0.5 EQP for my GRU-DFW flight bc it was booked on N (for 5111 miles, so half of that) but on the AAAdvantage statement it says 5111 miles on Y. So I assumed, I'm yet to confirm. But, I will know for sure tomorrow and let you know.

Maybe it was just a mistake by someone on AA's side.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's why I said 'apparently'. I'm not sure, haven't called AA yet to see if I qualify for gold. Initially I believed that I was going to get 0.5 EQP for my GRU-DFW flight bc it was booked on N (for 5111 miles, so half of that) but on the AAAdvantage statement it says 5111 miles on Y. So I assumed, I'm yet to confirm. But, I will know for sure tomorrow and let you know.

Maybe it was just a mistake by someone on AA's side.
Where on your statement? On the Summary page, what it shows is RDMs, not EQM or EQPs. It's correct for N class to earn 5111 RDMs. And it's only for RDMs that flights are itemized AFAIK.

I don't know how to show itemized points. You can see total points by clicking Progress instread of Summary. It then shows Points (which means EQPs on that view), Miles (which means EQMs on that view), and segments (which meants EQSs on that view). If this was your first AA-earning flight, you will see half as many points as miles on the Progress view if this flight earned 0.5 EQP per 1.0 EQM. (If this was not your first AA-earning flight, and you earned EQPs at different rates on different flights, you'll have to some arithmetic to see how this particular flight was processed.)

So are far as I can see, no one made a mistake at AA, you just don't know yet how to read an AA online statement (admittedly, it's confusing to a newcomer, with the same word "miles" meaning different things on different views, and which meaning it has not be being spelled out clearly).
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So are far as I can see, no one made a mistake at AA, you just don't know yet how to read an AA online statement (admittedly, it's confusing to a newcomer, with the same word "miles" meaning different things on different views, and which meaning it has not be being spelled out clearly).
You are right!!! Just did what you mentioned and got the ammount I was expecting (about 3,000 EQP, instead of double that). So I might have to do a MR to get to my expected goal. Aside this rookie mistake from my part, the AA gold experience it IS better that the premium LAN one.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
You are right!!! Just did what you mentioned and got the ammount I was expecting (about 3,000 EQP, instead of double that). So I might have to do a MR to get to my expected goal. Aside this rookie mistake from my part, the AA gold experience it IS better that the premium LAN one.
Tip:

The next time you buy a ticket on aa.com and need extra points for that challenge, put the reservation on hold instead of purchasing it when it's booked in any of the 0.5 EQP-earning fare classes (S, G,Q,N,O), then call AA and ask to upfare it to V (cheapest fare bucket that'll earn you 1.0 EQP). The vast majority of cases, the price difference will be minimal and this will turn out cheaper than buying the cheapest fares and having to go on an extra MR to satisfy the EQP requirements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.