Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Redeeming SPG points for LAN miles to buy AA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

LAN is a One World alliance partner and accepts Starwood points at a ratio of 1:2. Starwood points can be redeemed for airline miles with a 25% bonus in lots of 20K.

Does that mean, for example, if I wanted to book an AA flight that would normally cost 50K miles on AA wia AA's website, that I could redeem 20K Starwood points for 50K LAN miles and purchase the AA ticket through LAN for 50K LAN miles?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:54 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
-I understood that SPG changed the ratio to 1pt->1.5km last year (see FT thread, SPG website)

-which AA flight normally costs 50K AA miles and also costs 50K LAN kms?

AA flights with AA miles chart here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/f...ward-chart.jsp (region based)

OW (AA) flights with LANPASS kms here: http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...ated-airlines/ (based on distance per flight, availability will be lower)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by protagonist
LAN is a One World alliance partner and accepts Starwood points at a ratio of 1:2. Starwood points can be redeemed for airline miles with a 25% bonus in lots of 20K.

Does that mean, for example, if I wanted to book an AA flight that would normally cost 50K miles on AA wia AA's website, that I could redeem 20K Starwood points for 50K LAN miles and purchase the AA ticket through LAN for 50K LAN miles?
No. Even when it was 1:2, it was 1 SPG point to 2 LAN kms, not 2 LAN miles. There's roughly 1.6 kms per mile. So 2 LAN kms was 1.25 miles, and thus the 1 SPG : 2 kms was just 1 SPG to 1.25 miles. But:

Originally Posted by andreadbc
SPG changed the ratio to 1pt->1.5km last year (see FT thread, SPG website)
And thus 1 SPG points now equates to only 0.94 LAN miles (as that's what 1.5 LAN kms translates to).

But since:

Originally Posted by andreadbc
OW (AA) flights with LANPASS kms here: http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...ated-airlines/ (based on distance per flight
the LAN redemption charts is completely differently done than AA's, it's apples and organges. You have to look at a specific routing to see whether it would cost less (and how much less) or more (and how much more) at LAN vs AA. And, as with BA Avios, it depends among other things on the number of connections (while AA is the same between two regions, no matter how many or how few connections).

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 23, 2014 at 3:23 pm
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
If you have BA miles (Avios), you have to use the BA Avios Chart (distance based), if you have AA miles, you have to use AA award chart (by zone), if you have LANPASS miles, you have to use LANPASS award chart, which is zone/country based for LAN flights, or distance based for OW airlines.

1 SPG=1.5 KM LANPASS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.