Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone flown longhaul J on TAM??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Anyone flown longhaul J on TAM??

Looking to get to EZE in November, and the best price is with TAM-however their reviews aren't great... has anyone flown them?? Hearing about poor service and rubbish food offerings. Alternative is LHR-AMS-EZE with KL, but I'm only being offered a 55 min connex in AMS. Not too happy with that TBH....any thoughts all?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Shameless bump.....
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I haven't flown them TATL for several years so can't give you an up-to-date review although I suspect the product hasn't changed much since then.....it was okay but now lags behind most of their competitors. If it was direct I'd fly them again but unless the savings are huge I would look for alternatives as it's better connecting in Europe than GRU.

AZ now has one of the best J products on the route so I've been told.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Flew MIA-MAO in J in June and very nice, new plane and good service. I think it all hinges on whether you get a new enough aircraft to get lie flat J... Not sure what they use in LHR flights.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Why not look at AA? I was considering this for a holiday and they were offering about £2,100 for a J return LHR-MIA-EZE. The MIA leg was on the 77W and the EZE one with LAN which I have heard good things about.

Think of the TPs too. GIG-EZE is less than 2,000 miles!

Last edited by srbrenna; Sep 8, 2014 at 9:55 am
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, I had looked at AA earlier in the summer but couldn't get a price like that-will look again x As for TPs...never had a tp in my life, wouldn't know what to do with it!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: AC 35K
FWIW I've flown AZ J (Rome - South America route) and it is a very good J product. I'd say better than BA CW.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Just flew them two weeks ago from MIA to/from Brazil. Outbound 767 to BSB was ex-LAN, almost flat beds. Quite reasonable, but not quite as good as CW. On the way back I was on the 777 from GRU. Much worse angled seats, barely better than a cradle seat.
IFE was good and food/service was generally fine, but I seemed to be the only non-Brazilian on the plane (certainly the case at BSB immigration) and there were some minor language difficulties: it was surprisingly hard to explain I wanted a glass of port with dessert.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Are passengers flying with TAM referred to as TAMpax?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, Srbrenna- couldn't get the AA flight much below 2.5k each, however AZ is coming in around £1700 each so it's looking good for FCO-EZE right now...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
Flew TAM 4 years ago to EZE via GRU in J. Experience was ok. Seats are angle lie flat which was bit of a pain but overall comfortable. IFE was average, food was alright and service/crew were reasonably attentive. TAM Lounge in GRU was a zoo.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:10 am

Never flown J with them but their domestic Y is a truly awful experience. GRU to Manaus and return to GIG are somewhere near the top of my all-time horror flights.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Only the small ones.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Well, booked with AZ in the end....around £600 per person cheaper than BA for J class. Will let you know how it is Hiddy...
Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
only the redheads....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.