Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Lima and Santiago Airports question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Trying to get from US to South America, and one itinerary that works gives me about a one-hour layover in Lima (at 12:30 am in the morning), before I head to Santiago (at (1:30 am).

And then once I'm in SCL, I have a 90-minute layover (7 am till 8:30 am) till my next flight.

Ideally, I allow myself more time on international layovers. But can anyone advise if one hour in Lima is enough? I may have to rush a bit, but is it doable? The flight from LAX to Lima appears to be delayed often. And 90 mins at SCL?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
LIM is not that large. Will it be on the same ticket?
Where are you going to from SCL?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks, KIX. Yes, it should all be on the same ticket if I can make the itinerary work correctly. From Santiago, we'll either go to Easter Island or to Buenos Aries. That third leg of the trip is unsettled right now.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Thanks, KIX. Yes, it should all be on the same ticket if I can make the itinerary work correctly. From Santiago, we'll either go to Easter Island or to Buenos Aries. That third leg of the trip is unsettled right now.
I highly advise that if you plan to go the Easter Island (a Chile domestic flight), you do it on the next day to make sure you are on that flight.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
I highly advise that if you plan to go the Easter Island (a Chile domestic flight), you do it on the next day to make sure you are on that flight.
Yes, I have heard sometimes the Easter Island flights are cancelled and things like that, so better to give myself more than an hour for that connection?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Yes, I have heard sometimes the Easter Island flights are cancelled and things like that, so better to give myself more than an hour for that connection?
Clear immigrations, customs, checkin/check bags for domestic flight. The EI flights are usually full, assuming this would be a once in a lifetime visit, it would be a bummer if you miss the originally booked flight and lost a whole day or more and expenses (lodging, tours, etc.). I personally would not risk a same morning connection for that flight but if you want to go for it, I'd say three hours minimum.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
same advice here, don't worry about LIM, it's easy and there are many flights per day ... but SCL-IPC is only one per day, and often fully booked out ...
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
I agree with the other posters on giving yourself more time for the connection to an Easter Island flight in Santiago because of the immigration, baggage topic.
Connection international to international should be fine though.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE:
Thanks everyone. I have taken your advice, and what we're looking at now is a flight that arrives at 9 am into SCL. The next flight will be at 8 am the following day.
So we have 23 hours to explore Santiago. Suggestions for a nearby day tour or a decent hotel close to the airport?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
UPDATE:
Thanks everyone. I have taken your advice, and what we're looking at now is a flight that arrives at 9 am into SCL. The next flight will be at 8 am the following day.
So we have 23 hours to explore Santiago. Suggestions for a nearby day tour or a decent hotel close to the airport?
The airport is close enough to the city that you can stay in Santiago if you like rather than at the airport Holiday Inn, although the Holiday Inn at SCL is nice enough to compete with some of the hotels in the city. It normally runs USD 180 a night, and they probably charge for early check-in if you want your room available upon arrival. Since your flight is at 8am, you may prefer the airport location so that you don't have to get up so early to be at the airport at 6am. Either way, there's transportation to/from the city if you want to go exploring.

There's also a Hilton Garden Inn very close to the airport, but off the grounds. About a 5-minute drive to/from the terminal. Also close to the airport is a local chain (Diego de Almagro) that I know nothing about.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
With less than 24 hours I would definitely stay at the HI eliminating the need for transfers altogether. It's not a great hotel but it is adequate and you can't beat the LOCATION!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by postular
With less than 24 hours I would definitely stay at the HI eliminating the need for transfers altogether. It's not a great hotel but it is adequate and you can't beat the LOCATION!
As in location for the flight the next AM.

I've stayed there a couple of times. Do not expect much if any flexibility with published check in / out times, even if your room might be empty and available at 9 AM.

Accordingly, if you want a room available when you get there, you might want to book the night before. If you want to go into Santiago (and you really should, i.e., there is nothing to do where the hotel is), you'll not have showered, you'll leave your luggage there, and you'll then go into the city feeling bleh. If you get a room in the city, you'll be able to freshen up at whatever check-in time might be, and then go back out.

It has been quite some time, but when I inquired directly to the hotel once about a day rate (i.e., 7am check in with an early afternoon check-out), the response was not favorable. I believe on that trip I used my Chase IHG free hotel night and was able to get a "late check out" of one hour past their posted time. I may actually do the same thing again in December.

I don't know how much to read into your name "cheaptom" in giving advice.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Hi again.
Same question, except on the way back. Looks like the daily IPC-SCL flights arrives in SCL at 7:30 pm, and the next leg to Miami leaves at 9:45.

So that only leaves me two hours. Is it any easier going home, or should I again consider spending the night at SCL and taking the MIA flight the next day? Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Hi again.
Same question, except on the way back. Looks like the daily IPC-SCL flights arrives in SCL at 7:30 pm, and the next leg to Miami leaves at 9:45.

So that only leaves me two hours. Is it any easier going home, or should I again consider spending the night at SCL and taking the MIA flight the next day? Thanks!
When does the AA flight leave? They'll probably protect you on that if you're delayed and would otherwise misconnect.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, AAdvantage, MileagePlus
The Hilton Garden is nice. About another 15 min or so into town is an Ibis hotel. I don't know how familiar you are with that chain, but from that hotel to the airport early morning is only about 15-20min.

As far as things to do, you have some pretty good eats downtown. And San Cristobal Mtn/park gives a pretty good view of the city. The Andes are a 1.5-2hr drive to the east, and Valparaiso is a coastal city an hour west. After an all night flight, I don't know that either of those last two would be a good idea to cram into just one day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.