Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

I flew LAN route A-C with a tix for A-B

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others

LAN “allowed” me to fly from A to C with a tix from A to B, by mistake. In fact, 7 mistakes.

In city A, I went to domestic Gate 16 to find they had changed to Gate 2. Gate 2 is downstairs, a crowded zoo where they load for the buses. Arrived when the lines had formed and the announcements made. The screen above stated “B”. (Error 1). Two gates crowded together with one “Preferente” sign between the two. I approached the Preferente line and handed my BP to the agent, saying “For B, preferente”. She looked at my BP and pointed to where I should wait. (Edit note: apparently she just checked I was Preferente, not the flight number. Error 2). We started boarding a few minutes later. I handed my BP to the agent and went onboard. The gate agent did not scan the BP, or even look at it, he did not check my name or flight number, just took his half and put it on the pile (Error 3). When I boarded the FD was busy with some paperwork, not greeting pax. Someone else was in my seat 1A, and had her Smartphone BP to prove she was not incorrect. Called the FD, explained problem. He took my BP went to the galley and returned and asked me to sit in 1L. Good, I prefer 1L because 1A always has scratched windows. I asked why two people would be assigned a Comodoro seat, that seems odd, he shrugged and says it happens. Clearly he did not investigate why two people had the same seat (Error 4) and clearly he did not examine my or her BP to confirm route (Error 5). No passenger count was done (Error 6) – I know this because I have been told A no longer does pax count and I have noted on subsequent flights this is true. The pilot made no pre-flight or in-flight announcement. The short routes to B and C are similar at first, but when we started descent early I thought, wow that was fast. Then the pilot announcement: “We are starting our descent to C...” Say what, oh oh!

Chatted with FD of course. He informed me, yes, the pilot had received a call asking if someone by my name was on the flight. The FD had checked the manifest and told the pilot no one by name was on the flight, but of course, I was. Nothing was done to investigate (Error 7), no announcement asking if anyone with my name would identify to the crew. Note, if the plane had crashed they would have one extra body, with no name, and no way to explain or identify it... as me!

But wait, it gets worse. This was a turnaround flight so they just put me back on this C-A flight and rebooked my A-B flight for later that evening. But bad weather delayed takeoff. C has no runway lights, darkness happened, and the flight cancelled. Rebooked for the very early morning (yeach) and given a hotel voucher.

But wait, it gets worse. B is at sea level. C at altitude. Because of a medical problem doctors have recommended I do not go to altitude. Quite right, in C I had trouble breathing and suffered sleep apnea and only got a few hours of uncomfortable sleep. I didn't need the 5 am hotel wake-up call, I was already still awake, suffering.

But wait, it gets worse. Got back to A. My rebooked A-B flight was the same, but 24 hours later. I went to Gate 16, it did not change this time. At boarding announcement (for B, I listened carefully) I lined up at the Preferente sign. Started boarding after all the families with kids and was waved by to go the plane. After a few steps I returned and asked, “don't you want to see my BP?” “No, I have seen it.” No, she hadn't seen it, it was in my hand all along and she had NOT looked at it at any time. My BP was NOT scanned. The agent did NOT collect the tear off portion, I still have the entire BP. I watched, no passenger count was done. After the security announcement, after they say to ask if you have any security concerns, I asked why no pax count was done, is that not a security issue? I was informed it is no longer standard protocol at A, it isn't necessary. Why? Because she said, it is impossible to get on the plane without the correct documents. She was shocked to learn I had gotten on this flight without anyone looking at my BP, without anyone scanning my BP, and without anyone collecting the tear off portion.

But wait, it gets worse, well, for me (tears in my eyes, muk). This was a long holiday weekend, I had plans to enjoy it with friends and family, but lost one entire day of my vacation due to the 7 errors of LAN. I might even suggest LAN violated aeronautical regulations.

Any ideas on what should be the correct compensation... I have no idea?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is the sort of story that if you were a new poster, it would be really hard to believe. Wow.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: LANPASS Premium Silver, SPG Gold Prefered Guest, Mahalo Rewards
Wow. Downstairs domestic in A is a ZOO. I've many times gotten on the plane and asked fellow passengers where the plane was going just in case. Can you imagine this happening in the US?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This is the sort of story that if you were a new poster, it would be really hard to believe. Wow.
Yeah, I suppose so. Phantasmagorical. For the reader who doesn't know, I've logged well over 100 flights with LAN in the last couple of years. JohnnyC jests I should hang up my passport if I can't even get on the right plane. Muk muk. But I have reviewed the events in my mind and tho I could have done things differently in hindsight, I did nothing overtly wrong.

Compensation ideas?

Last edited by bingocallerb22; May 8, 2014 at 10:34 am
Old May 9, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: LANPASS Premium Silver, SPG Gold Prefered Guest, Mahalo Rewards
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Compensation ideas?
Two roundtrip long haul upgradable coach tickets? I don't see Lan going out of their way even though you are a Comodoro. If you are based in SA you don't really have any other options but flying Lan. And they seem to know this.

After reading over recent threads about Lan's customer service department, I wouldn't be surprised if they make you apologize for boarding the wrong plane...

Even though I'm being a bit pessimistic I hope you get some compensation of some sort, there is no way to justify the gross errors Lan made throughout your whole journey.

Good Luck!
Old May 12, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would aim straight to the top. Write a letter to Cueto (& friends), not only he would get a kick out of it...he may try to do something about it.

May.

Last edited by Viajero Millero; May 13, 2014 at 9:36 pm Reason: Spelling
Old May 14, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Interesting. I know you have done nothing wrong, but ask for compensation?

After all you walked onto the wrong plane. No one forced you there. And when you saw the BP of the passenger in what you thought was your seat, did you not manage to look at the destination? Or, having been alerted there's someone in 'your' seat ask the question where this plane is going?
Old May 14, 2014, 9:21 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Or, having been alerted there's someone in 'your' seat ask the question where this plane is going?
Would you have? Whenever someone is sitting in my seat, I just think "another stupid first-time traveler unable to read seat numbers". But then I have been asked to move as well. Again, my first reaction hasn't been "oh no, I must be on the wrong plane"...

HTB.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I know you have done nothing wrong, but ask for compensation?

After all you walked onto the wrong plane. No one forced you there. And when you saw the BP of the passenger in what you thought was your seat, did you not manage to look at the destination? Or, having been alerted there's someone in 'your' seat ask the question where this plane is going?
Yeah, I know what you are saying about compensation. Some prefer to be stoic because stuff happens. But not me. Not when I arrive 24 hours later for a 1 hour 20 minute flight, because of LAN negligent errors. And not when that day is a long weekend when I had plans to have fun with friends and family. And not when they drop me off at an altitude the doctor has recommended I not go. And not when he was right because I spent an miserable almost sleepless night suffering sleep apnea. For those that do not know, it means just as I was starting to fall asleep, my body would startle me awake for lack of oxygen, panting for air, heart racing. Not fun.

Yes, in hindsight I should have pressed the SD more. But the other pax held up her smartphone and her boarding pass said in big bold 1A. Mine also said 1A. I wasn't going to fight with her. (BTW the BP only gives the flight number no city names - like we all would notice the diference). I just asked the SD to resolve the problem, his job, not mine. He took my BP to the galley and returned to tell me to sit in 1L. I did press him wasn't it odd that 2 people had a Comodoro seat? He said “It happens” so I shut up. Next time I will know to check route numbers, or ask him to do so. All part of the learning experience, but I would have thought that it would have been part of his training / experience – check the routes if 2 people have same seat. Live and learn.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:21 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
JohnnyC jests I should hang up my passport if I can't even get on the right plane. Muk muk.
I was not jesting

Or, having been alerted there's someone in 'your' seat ask the question where this plane is going?
Interesting point. But the only time I found someone in my seat (with the same boarding pass number) I didn't even think to make sure we were both going to the same destination.

And not when they drop me off at an altitude the doctor has recommended I not go. And not when he was right because I spent an miserable almost sleepless night suffering sleep apnea. For those that do not know, it means just as I was starting to fall asleep, my body would startle me awake for lack of oxygen, panting for air, heart racing. Not fun.
You are rather over-egging the altitude pudding.
Old May 18, 2014, 9:36 pm

I talked to my friends in the aeronautical media but all failed to return with an email or address you could reach Cueto at.

At this point I still think you should aim for him and/or his circle. Not in hot pursuit of compensation but more in a "get-your-stuff-together" tone.

As a concerned Comodoro flyer.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up on this. I made a formal complaint on Libro de Reclamaciones on LP's webpage to ensure I got a reply. They promise 15 day response. After that, I started bugging them and heard back at day 36 (“we were waiting for a reply from lawyers”). Hmm. They offered 2 free econ tix in SA. Thinking there might be room to negotiate, I countered for Biz tix. They held firm. So, tired of it, I accepted. Then they reneged on the agreement! They sent papers to sign for less and a waiver. I protested their negotiating in bad faith and poor ethics. Their reply? The case is closed, sign the waiver and be gone. Reneging on an agreement leaves a bad taste, so on to next steps – INDECOPI.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Update: Made a formal INDECOPI complaint, chose the administrative option where INDECOPI arranges a negotiation meeting between parties. Although LAN had indicated to me my case was closed because I did not accept their final offer, they lied to INDECOPI stating the case was open. LAN never showed for the meeting and never advised they were not attending, so very unprofessional. (Apparently this is typical, as per INDECOPI staff). But then LAN sent a email saying they had reopened the case, presumably because my next step with INDECOPI would be a formal complaint where INDECOPI would investigate this case and most likely fine LAN. They gave the same offer, two economy T fare tix to a SA destination. Tried negotiating for a better fare class or travel vouchers, but met typical LAN inflexibility, I guess no surprise. Spoke with a local lawyer and because of Peru's antiquated civil litigation rules (you need to prove actual $$ damages, no consideration of non-financial damages) it was recommended not to proceed with civil remedies, accept the offer. Did so, and only then did LAN reveal these “complimentary” tix had several restrictions and required I pay all the taxes fees etc., telling me I could pay by Call Center, which of course proved false, I have to go to a LAN office to pay the taxes and fees. In all, a very interesting and instructive experience.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (since 1987) PLAT. USAir Dividend, AF Flying Blue.
Note, if the plane had crashed they would have one extra body, with no name, and no way to explain or identify it... as me!
You would then be considered the new #1 terrorist
After all you walked onto the wrong plane. No one forced you there.
Sure, you should actualy pay for those flights
Update: Made a formal INDECOPI complaint,
.../...
and because of Peru's antiquated civil litigation rules (you need to prove actual $$ damages, no consideration of non-financial damages) it was recommended not to proceed.
I'm so sorry to read that. Seems so unfair.

I guess, I would now write to FAA, EASA and all Oneworld partners, news papers, CNN, Euronews, any TV of South America and all... that will love to report this very scary story.
Revenge vs compensation.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Well, I am not the only one. On a domestic LP flight the other day we boarded and ready to go but paused at the last minute as the gate agent ran on board to call an older gentleman telling him he was on the wrong plane and rushed him off. No scanning of boarding passes at the gate was done (obviously later). No pax count was done – I confirmed this with the SD.

Yes, I have raised a bit of a fuss to get this problem resolved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.